King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
May 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #151 of 666
Quote:
Judging by the impressions of people who have actually worn them, the KS-H1 is supposedly VERY comfortable.

I'll take the impressions of those who have worn them than assumptions.

People also say the Beyers are very comfortable, but my ears touch the drivers on those.

So we'll see...

May 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #152 of 666
Quote:
Judging by the impressions of people who have actually worn them, the KS-H1 is supposedly VERY comfortable.

I'll take the impressions of those who have worn them than assumptions.

There are different aspects to comfort; people are worried about ears touching the drivers which is justifiable as the earpads look quite shallow in all the photos and videos showing these cans. It doesn't matter if it nails other aspects of comfort (lightweight, good cushioning, even pressure distribution, etc), if someone hates ears touching drivers, and their ears touch the drivers with these cans, then they will remain uncomfortable to them.

May 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #153 of 666
Quote:

People also say the Beyers are very comfortable, but my ears touch the drivers on those.

So we'll see...

Definitely.  The DT990 was in all aspects, a very comfortable can, only that the cups and earpads were shallow enough to the point of my ears touching the drivers/baffle inside.  It was nerve-racking. 

May 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #154 of 666
Quote:
I just really wanna know how deep those earpads and cans really are.  Looks too much like a 'my ear touches the driver' syndrome.

If my ears touched the drivers, I would have immediately put them down. My ears are admittedly on the small side, but I spent a rather significant amount of time pushing the cans back up onto my ears and pressing them against my head to get them to stay in place, and they still never touched. If the yokes properly held the cans at the correct height on the prototype, I'd probably be in on the first batch of these. I wouldn't be able to stand it, however, if I was dealing with cans that constantly slid down my head after spending $800. And this issue wasn't localized to me, everyone that I saw put them on either held them in place or struggled to get them to stay there on their own.

May 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #155 of 666
Found some pics from High End 2013 in Munich, Germany. In this color they look quite plasticky... Can't wait to read sound impressions though :)

May 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #156 of 666
Quote:
Found some pics from High End 2013 in Munich, Germany. In this color they look quite plasticky... Can't wait to read sound impressions though :)

They are in SERIOUS need of a better paintjob! Hifiman should give them a few tips in that regard.

May 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #157 of 666
I wasn't sure if they were using velour or pleather/leather pads, but I can see now from those pics that it's definitely the latter.

frown.gif

May 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #161 of 666
The cavity formed by the earpads needs to be close to air tight.  Velour has little holes in it so that ends up in rolled off bass with electrostats...same reason something like the Grado foam pads wouldn't be ideal.  That's why they all use leather/pleather/vinyl.

May 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #162 of 666
Is the excursion on electrostats that low? I would have thought their extra large diaphragms would move a ton of air for low bass regardless of the perfect seal. Hifiman planars can get away with it, but then again audeze planars rely on the seal a lot..

Guess electrostats aren't air moving monsters.

May 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #163 of 666
It's not about the amount of air moving, it's about the acoustic coupling characteristics. An open back headphone with sealed baffle plate must have seal ear chamber to prevent roll off at low frequencies, not matter the size the radiating surface.

How audeze managed to use velour pads without penalty in the sub-70Hz region, I don't know but can only suppose that the cushion is rather dense / velour backing is such acoustic cancellation is minimal.

Open back phones in a perforated baffle (ala HD800, HD6X0 are a different story, the earpad sealing properties are nowhere near as critical and you rather must use velour pads (with high sound absorption characteristics) to keep the lows and mids in good balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back