King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
May 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #137 of 666
Quote:
It took me all of 1 second to tell that Beats have more wool in their bass reproduction than all of Australia and New Zealand combined.

Hyperbole has no bounds on HF.  Perhaps we just have a different definition of "finesse".

And yes, let me provide the structure of your response post for you in order to save you and others time:

"Just because you can't...".  "I have tons of experience with...".  "With proper training, you too can...".  "YMM...".

Done!

EDIT: And let's not forget, we're talking about the same headphones driven by two (probably not dramatically) different amps, not about two completely different headphones.

May 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #139 of 666
Quote:
Wink was only joking
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I thought he was following in anetode and ultrabike's spirit, whose quotes I should have included...

May 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #140 of 666
Quote:
Ah, I thought he was following in anetode and ultrabike's spirit, whose quotes I should have included...

Take it easy mang, all I know is that FR differences due to whatever can be heard in about 5 seconds depending on the magnitude of these differences.

Different amplifiers, when coupled to the same headphone, can cause non-subtle FR differences for several reasons. That said, I have no idea what "finesse" means or how subtle it is. Would be nice if you could provide your definition of "finesse" and on how long you think it would take to fully appreciate it.

May 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #141 of 666
Quote:
Take it easy mang, all I know is that FR differences due to whatever can be heard in about 5 seconds depending on the magnitude of these differences.

Different amplifiers, when coupled to the same headphone, can cause non-subtle FR differences for several reasons. That said, I have no idea what "finesse" means or how subtle it is. Would be nice if you could provide your definition of "finesse" and on how long you think it would take to fully appreciate it.

Strange how a simple statement of hyperbole usage is perceived to be not "tak[ing] it easy."

Anyway, to answer your question, "finesse" speaks to, well, I couldn't possibly explain it better than a dictionary:

fi·nesse  (f
schwa.gif
-n
ebreve.gif
s
prime.gif
)

n. 1. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship.
2. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering.

For me, it would take careful listening of, you know, an A-B-A comparison of at least a majority of one song before I would even think about a marked difference in finesse.  I suppose we just disagree that the mere definition of "finesse" doesn't actually permit HUGE DIFFERENCES in something so subtle because, you know, it's subtle.  Of course, I AM pedantic, which is probably annoying, so there you go.

Anyway, horses for courses.

May 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #142 of 666
Regarding the video and the 5 second comparison - Problem number 1: Guys, you are taking this goof-ball "self-proclaimed" guru seriously.  Take a look at his site.  Look at his videos if you can stand his "medicated/fake smiley face" condescending attitude. "Everything is great" is his m.o., agree, agree, agree,, he's out there kissing up, trying to sell his video services, sell himself.  You won't learn anything from his comments about these headphones. 

May 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #143 of 666
Quote:
Can you provide us with more details on how the KS sounded?  Can you compare them to the HE-500?

Personally, I felt they were clearly superior to the HE-500. I was fortunate enough to listen to the LCD2, KS stat, and HE-500 back to back to back, and the KS stat had my favorite sound signature. That said, I'm planning on waiting until some reliability reviews and tests/measurements come in before I pop on the setup. I've never been one to jump on the first MY.

May 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #144 of 666
Quote:

Personally, I felt they were clearly superior to the HE-500. I was fortunate enough to listen to the LCD2, KS stat, and HE-500 back to back to back, and the KS stat had my favorite sound signature. That said, I'm planning on waiting until some reliability reviews and tests/measurements come in before I pop on the setup. I've never been one to jump on the first MY.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the specific differences? You mention that the KS had your most favourite sound signature, but that's a rather subjective aspect of sound quality. What about other things (perceived top/bottom-end extensions, linearity/dynamics/detail/smoothness in each domain of the frequency spectrum, separation/3D imaging/headstaging, etc) between KS and the 2 orthos?

May 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #145 of 666
Quote:
Strange how a simple statement of hyperbole usage is perceived to be not "tak[ing] it easy."

When you begin accusing people of hyperbole just because they disagree with you in a lighthearted way and then proceed to pull out a dictionary definition to condescend to others -- then I think it is fair for someone to tell to you take it easy. I'll do one better: get over it.

On the bass boost, I can see how offering that feature as a simple option which might already be on when someone is testing the amp out could possibly skew perspectives. It is a welcome feature though since this is an entry-level stat and many potential customers might get withdrawal symptoms from not hearing the thick boom of dynamics. The bass boost could be a sort of nicotine patch for them.

May 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #146 of 666
Quote:
Could you elaborate a bit more on the specific differences? You mention that the KS had your most favourite sound signature, but that's a rather subjective aspect of sound quality. What about other things (perceived top/bottom-end extensions, linearity/dynamics/detail/smoothness in each domain of the frequency spectrum, separation/3D imaging/headstaging, etc) between KS and the 2 orthos?

See post #68 for my more detailed review of the KS stats. As far as a direct comparison between the HE-500 and the KS stats, I felt the KS setup was superior in honestly every way. Comfort and fit of the ear pads was immediately a huge improvement in my opinion over the HE-500's. As for the sound itself, it felt effortless by comparison. I grew up listening to Stax sets, so I have an ear for electrostatic headphones. The lack of bass in most electrostatic's is what has driven me to dynamic headphones in the past, but these can really deliver some exceptional bass, particularly with the "bass boost" engaged. In general, the KS's sounded extremely detailed, very smooth, and did not have any unnatural sounding frequency deviations. (besides when the bass was in boost mode) One thing that did stand out to me was the headroom that the solid state amp provided. I obviously don't know what the input voltage was, but at 50% volume they were playing at 90+db.

May 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #147 of 666
That sounds very promising indeed. I became a stat convert after listening to the SR407 off the 252S. It was an instant attraction to it's effortless treble, super tight and punchy sound signature, and amazing clarity. That's not even a higher end stat, yet it left more of an immediate impression than any dynamic headphone I've heard other than the D7000, because I just love that can.

I have very high hopes of the KS stat, and the fact the amp has a bass boost switch is a definite cherry on top. I love it when amps have it, and this is the first desktop amp I've personally seen with a bass boost.

BTW, it looks like the headband is small enough to fit the Beyerdynamic strap:

May 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #149 of 666
Judging by the impressions of people who have actually worn them, the KS-H1 is supposedly VERY comfortable.

I'll take the impressions of those who have worn them than assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back