King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
Mar 31, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #632 of 666
The new one looks nice. Hopefully it doesn't flop like the first. All the negative impressions made me cancel my order the first time.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #633 of 666
  I just ordered a pair of the kingsound headphones and solid state amplifier from drew, so when they show up
I think that I will be able to give them a fairly extensive listening experience with a number of amplifiers including
my T2. Should be easy to determine if they are ready for prime time or not.

I was at the axpona show in Chicago this weekend and heard the king sound electrostatic phones with both the tube and solid state amps. I felt the solid state combo sounded more promising.
Funny with my old stax lambda pro I felt the opposite buying them with the tube amp. I no longer own the stax but I am considering the king sound solid state combo. They are offering a special deal at the axpona show. Today being sunday this is the last day of the show. I was wondering what you think about the solid state phone combo? Please give me your thoughts this morning before I go to the show at 10 am. I am thinking about getting this combo today at the show. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #634 of 666
So, did you buy them?  I checked out both the tube and solid state amp versions, and thought they were both good.  They were in 2 completely different systems, and with gear and music not all that familiar to me, but certainly for the price, they are worth a look/listen.  

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #636 of 666
The pair at the Bay Area meet sounded like a darker lambda with maybe a smidge less resolution.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #638 of 666
  Tode, were those the modified pair I sent over? If so, I think they are sounding a little better than what you'd get stock... IMHO.

mods?   what mods?   hmmmm....  do tell

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #639 of 666
Spritzer did a little modding on his first with promising results, which inspired us to try a few things.  These just had a little work done on damping, mostly stuff learned from the Ortho tuners.  What set them free was getting rid of the dust covers... which of course opens a can of worms, but we've got some ideas on how to improve this as well.  They sound pretty good, which gives us hope for this cheap little driver.

But, this was stage one... they are heading for stage 2 which is liberating the drivers and transplanting them into some custom cups.  They'll need to be tuned again after this is done, so they're not quite ready for prime time yet.  Watch this space...

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #640 of 666
Looking forward to seeing the mod on custom cups. 
L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #641 of 666
  Tode, were those the modified pair I sent over? If so, I think they are sounding a little better than what you'd get stock... IMHO.

Yup. Thanks for sharing them, they were quite enjoyable. The mods explain the very "open" sound they had.

May 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #642 of 666
  Spritzer did a little modding on his first with promising results, which inspired us to try a few things.  These just had a little work done on damping, mostly stuff learned from the Ortho tuners.  What set them free was getting rid of the dust covers... which of course opens a can of worms, but we've got some ideas on how to improve this as well.  They sound pretty good, which gives us hope for this cheap little driver.

But, this was stage one... they are heading for stage 2 which is liberating the drivers and transplanting them into some custom cups.  They'll need to be tuned again after this is done, so they're not quite ready for prime time yet.  Watch this space...

The driver has promise but one of mine rattled which was rather alarming.  First thing to change about these are the earpads though, they are way too big and the biggest "bad" factor to the sound. 

Also all H1 owners should know about this:

http://kingsaudio.com.hk/press/?post=free-upgrade-from-ks-h1-to-ks-h

May 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #643 of 666
the driver on the emperor look small for an electrostats.. wonder about the subbass dynamics ..

How the bass of the Float or ergo amt compare to taket...

and do you think you can fix that fussy and|or diffuse imaging in any way with eq or balance or ..

how about the float versus ergo amt

May 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #644 of 666
 No after blogging kevin gilmor he did not recommend getting the amplifiers . He cited long term reliability as somewhat suspect based on the amps construction . So I decided not to go there.

May 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #645 of 666
I took the plunge and got the H3 headphones and both the solid state M10 and the tubed M20 amps.  I am listening to them now (the M20 combo).  I have not opened up the amps to look inside, and I am not an EE, so I cannot speak to any design criteria, but they are sounding pretty good so far.  I have primarily been a sealed dynamic guy (JVX DX1000 and Denon 7000s), but i am enjoying these so far.  I have not heard any Stax for quite some time (I do own a vintage pair of their entry level round cans SR34? w/ speaker adaptor/energizer that I received as a gift about 15 years ago from a friend who has since passed away).  I haven't hooked them up in a very long time, but the Kingsounds and my recently acquired Koss 950s definitely outpeform them.

007 and 009 are of interest to me, with appropriate amp-age, but a lot of people comment that they are bright or aggressive or clinical or edgy, or treble-happy or any of a number of things I do not care for.  (I am not saying they are, just picking up on a vibe I get from listener comments).  The Kingsounds may be a bit forgiving, but they have good bottom in my rig, and are pretty dynamic, and easy to listen to.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back