King Crimson 40th Anniversary releases
Jan 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #91 of 100
Quote:
Yes...the remaster is another phenomenal job by Steven Wilson. It's a huge sonic upgrade. Some great bonus material as well.

Agreed!  All of these remasters are amazing!  His work on the new Thick as a Brick remaster is really good too. Amazing how much of this 40 + year old stuff often sounds so much better than much of what is put out today.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #92 of 100
Finally picked up the Larks' Tongues in Aspic remaster this weekend. Man is it fantastic. I want Wilson to remaster all of my favorite prog rock now. When can he get started on the classic Canterbury, krautrock, and zeuhl stuff? :-D

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #93 of 100
So, reviving this thread a bit, to make it complete again.

The 40th anniversary outputs kept on going on the last few years, bringing us 24 bit and 5.1 / 4.0 versions of 'Thrak' and 'Live USA' 

For now, we have 10 releases (in order of remaster release dates):

1. In the Court of the Crimson King

2. Lizard

3. Red

4. In the Wake of Poseidon

5. Islands

6. Starless and Bible Black

7. Discipline

8. Larks' Tongues and Aspic

9. USA

10. Thrak

I own them all and can very much recommend all of them, even 'Red' and 'USA'. Either way, if you're buying KC records, these are the ones to go to.

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #94 of 100
Furthermore, the 11th and 12th release are coming and will be out on 14-21 october 2016!

11. Beat

The eleventh release in King Crimson's superlative 40th Anniversary series.

Featuring 2016 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes (by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp), Sid Smith sleeve notes and extra tracks, this is a definitive edition of King Crimson's classic 1982 studio release.

---------

* Mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson (fully approved by Robert Fripp).

* CD features a 2016 stereo album mix by Robert Fripp and Steven Wilson and also features the track Absent Lovers.

* DVD-A (compatible with all DVD players and DVD Rom players) features a 5.1 DTS mix and High Resolution Stereo mixes.

* DVD-A players can, additionally, access a 5.1 Lossless audio mix and Lossless Stereo mixes.

* DVD-A features both the original album mix and the 2016 album mix in High Resolution stereo.

* DVD-A also features the complete album in rough mix form dating from the time of the original sessions.

* DVD-A also includes footage of performances featured on German TV live from The Alabamahalle and the original, rarely seen, promotional film for Heartbeat.

* As with the other 40th Anniversary releases, the set is presented in a double digipak format in a slipcase and contains sleeve notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith (along with rare photos and archive material).

The second part of King Crimson's acclaimed and influential Minimalist Ethno-Art-Rock/Post-Punk 1980s trilogy sounding and looking better than ever before.

All material featured on this cd/dvda will also appear on a forthcoming box chronicling King Crimson's 1980s material.

Pre-order for 21st October release.

12. Three of a Perfect Pair

The twelfth release in King Crimson's superlative 40th Anniversary series.

Featuring 2016 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes (by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp), Sid Smith sleeve notes and extra tracks, this is a definitive edition of King Crimson's frequently surprising 1984 studio release.

---------

* Mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson (fully approved by Robert Fripp).

* CD features a 2016 stereo album mix by Robert Fripp and Steven Wilson and also features six additional studio tracks.

* DVD-A (compatible with all DVD players and DVD Rom players) features a 5.1 DTS mix and High Resolution Stereo mixes.

* DVD-A players can, additionally, access a 5.1 Lossless audio mix and Lossless Stereo mixes.

* DVD-A features both the original album mix and the 2016 album mix in High Resolution stereo.

* DVD-A also features the additional tracks (called Other Side) from the 30th anniversary edition CD.

* DVD-A also includes new additional tracks as featured on the 2016 CD.

* DVD-A includes the promotional film for the Sleepless single.

* As with the other 40th Anniversary releases, the set is presented in a double digipak format in a slipcase and contains sleeve notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith (along with rare photos and archive material).

The third part of King Crimson's acclaimed and influential Minimalist Ethno-Art-Rock/Post-Punk 1980s trilogy re-tooled for the 21st Century.

All material featured on this cd/dvda will also appear on a forthcoming box chronicling King Crimson's 1980s material.

Pre-order for 21st October release.

There's also a 19 disc limited box set coming out, with basically Discipline, Beat en ToaPP 2-disc versions plus many extra's. An interesting one for me in that set would be the new remaster, plus surround mix of (for) me best live cd from this KC line up: Absent Lovers. 

Can't wait for the new two 40th ann. releases to hit my dvd-audio player! 

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #95 of 100
Very much looking forward to those. Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair are all terrific albums and, for me, represent the last great Crimson era.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #96 of 100
While exploring this band, I very much underestimated Beat, but also Thrak. I'm very curious on what Wilson has done with songs like Heartbeat.

Yeah I remember, so no real love for Thrak? I really love that record, would definitely make my KC top 10.

I also remember something about reading your comments on the Larks' deluxe boxset. Did you ever get any of the others in deluxe? Starless, Road to Red f.e.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #97 of 100
I have Road to Red which is excellent, the live stuff sounds much better than the mostly poor sounding material on the Lark's Tongues box.

And yeah, I just don't care for Thrak I'm afraid. I have it, but could never learn to like it. Lots of KC fans do though !

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #98 of 100
I've always been a casual King Crimson fan, having really liked Larks Tongues in Aspic and In the Court of King Crimson. This thread like so many others has been a bad influence on me and I just pulled the trigger on the Wilson mastered 40th anniversary CD/DVDs of Red and Starless and Black Bible from Burning Shed. I have a feeling I may be buying many more of the Steven Wilson done remasters of albums I like too. Oh well, down the rabbit hole I guess.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #99 of 100
Thanks for the information, this group has been my favorite, from my youth I yearn.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #100 of 100
Hi all,

I am wondering about people's opinions on the 2005 mix of USA vs. the 2013 40th Anniversary mix. I know the 30th has Jobson on it and the original sources used on the LP; but that changed with the 2005 and 2013 mixes. Between those two mixes, 2005 and 2013; which do you prefer and why? At first I just assumed I would like the 40th more because it was a later vintage and Fripp was involved in the mix; but after listening a bit to both I am not convinced that the 40th is the go to. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back