Kindly Request Your Expertise
Jul 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #16 of 24
  So, the MC5s arrived, and I tested them out the other day. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how noise-cancellation/isolation works, but w/ just the IEMs in my ears, they didn't block out much ambient noise at all. When I began playing music through the MC5s, it seemed to block out ambient noise no better than any other IEMs w/ music playing. I could still hear normal level conversations going on.

When I read about headphones that block out ambient sounds, such as on an airplane, it's made to seem that you can barely hear significant outside noise. Is this accurate? If so, does this mean that it's worth it for me to spend $300 on a pair of Bose QuietComfort 25s? Or, should I try another earcup model first?

I think noise cancellation/isolation is sometimes exaggerated. Neither an etymotic or a Bose QC25 will make airplane engine noise completely disappear. It is more like changing a really loud and obnoxious engine noise into a much quieter rustling wind sound.

That said, It should still make a big difference using Etymotics to your average in ears. As other people mentioned, it is really important to have a good seal on your etymotic IEMs. I have generally gotten the best seal using triple flange sillicone tips(small in my right ear and medium in my left ear). Since ears are not always completely symmetrical(like mine) getting some aftermarket eartips in different sizes to get a good seal for both ear canals might be worth a try.

Having owned the Etymotic HF5 and currently owning the ER4PT, I can say both block out ambient noise better than the Bose QC25 I own. So I would suspect the MC5 having around the same isolation as these other 2 models.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #17 of 24
ANC is a different experience though. It has a feel of vacuum between your ears because it cancels out low frequency sounds very well, contrary to most passive isolation. Some like it, others dislike it. Surely won't cancel out conversations better than the ety's

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #19 of 24
Based on how headphone isolation is described on the forum I have also found it underwhelming

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 24
The MC3s appear to be quite similar to the MC5s. I'm concerned that it'd be a similar experience. I'm thinking that maybe I should try the Sennheiser HD380s.

Remember that it's not going to cut out all sound completely. It will just reduce sound by a certain number of decibels. The isolation measurements on Innerfidelity would place the MC3s right up there with very good shooting ear plugs and ear muffs. I doubt you should expect to get much better than that. Foam tips might help to reduce the outside sound a bit more, though.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 24
The MC5s came w/ foam tips, and I tried them, but they didn't seem to help. When I initially put them in my ears, I didn't turn on any music. I wanted to see how much ambient noise was reduced solely by having the tips in my ears. It barely caused any reduction. Turning the music on only slightly reduced the outside noise. I'm not imagining that it would go away completely, but I did think that it would be a noticeable difference in ambient noise reduction.

I'll give the MC3s a try, though. Thank you for your recommendations. :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 24
Well, I hope it's better for you.

However, the best solution is don't study for the GRE in coffee shops and diners. Libraries work very well for that :wink:

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 24
haha...I think that you may be onto something! :)

The MC3s arrived today, and I just tested them out. They're a bit better than the MC5s, but they still don't even block out below normal level conversations. Even w/ the music playing, I could still hear a YouTube video playing in the background at a level much less than that of a normal conversation. It was at a whisper, but it was still audible, and there's no way that these things would block out anything at a higher decibel level. The seal was tight, and I even push them deeper into my ear canal and held them there, and it made no discernible difference. I'm going to give the Sennheisers a try, but at this point, I'm beginning to lose hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back