kindly recommend a portable mp3 player for my needs... please... pretty please...
Apr 10, 2005 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
hi all, i'm new to the portable thing and am confused with so many players on the market. what i NEED to have from my mp3 player is the following...

1- for use with er4p or um2 canalphones
2- good sound quality (highs present but not piercing, mids thick and juicy, bass present but not smothering mids and highs)
3- primarily used for exercise (weight lifting, running, plyometrics)
4- secondary use walking around town, falling asleep with
5- would like 1 gig + capacity for storing 5-10 albums at a time (atleast)
6- would like a smart user interface with easy navigation and good playlist
capability (pretty important)
7- would like good software for loading the player with my mp3s from my mp3 collection

i think that about covers it. thanks for the help.

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 46
Hold on. Primarily 4 exercise inc running yet you'll be able to hear the "piercing, mids thick and juicy, bass present but not smothering mids and highs" @ the same time? How will you tell subtleness with gym/outdoor noise? I know the earphones you mentioned go into ear canal but come on...

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 46
Price? Does size matter?
confused.gif

Rio Karma, Apple iPod, iPod Mini, Creative Zen Micro?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 46
price doesn't matter. size doesn't matter as long as it can strap on to something securely. sound quality i would like to be good, but obviously i'm not looking at near audiophile level here.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 46
iPod shuffle. For exercise, you'll need a flash player, and, as much as I dislike Apple, I have to admit that the shuffle is bloody marvellous. Only problem is if you want the screen - then I'd suggest a different flash player.

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 46
the shuffle has no display... mm, no thx.

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
the shuffle has no display... mm, no thx.

I'd suggest the iPod Mini with Sik Din (with the new mini end) to a Xin Super Macro amp. this combo has the advantage of being small enough to slip into an arm band so as to minimise vibrations (I'll done it - I'll post photos), has a screen (unlike the Shuffle) and you can get as close to audiophile quality as you can get (lossless, line-out etc.)

You've gotta say, it meets your criteria.

ZT

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
I'd suggest the iPod Mini with Sik Din (with the new mini end) to a Xin Super Macro amp. this combo has the advantage of being small enough to slip into an arm band so as to minimise vibrations (I'll done it - I'll post photos), has a screen (unlike the Shuffle) and you can get as close to audiophile quality as you can get (lossless, line-out etc.)

You've gotta say, it meets your criteria.

ZT

Too bad iPods and other HDD players use Hard Drive Disc which is dangerous to strenuous activities SUCH AS working out...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

price doesn't matter. size doesn't matter as long as it can strap on to something securely. sound quality i would like to be good, but obviously i'm not looking at near audiophile level here.

go with iaudio/samsung/iriver brands.

There's some really expensive color LCD iriver mp3 players at www.audiocubes.com. Looks damn nice though.

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
go with iaudio/samsung/iriver brands.

There's some really expensive color LCD iriver mp3 players at www.audiocubes.com. Looks damn nice though.

You mean iFP-999?
That is seriously overpriced.
I think I can get them for only half or 2/3 the price their directly from Korea....Besides I'm Korean and already have an H10.
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 46
that sik din cable makes it look like the ipod will be too bulky. doesn't the ipod have a line out? why the ipod mini?

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

that sik din cable makes it look like the ipod will be too bulky. doesn't the ipod have a line out? why the ipod mini?

iPod and iPod Mini both need an adapter for their line-outs, they do not have one built in.

Anyways, how about Carbon->phones? Very minimalist.

For flash, Muvos are cool, as are iRivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back