Kindle let down......or not :P
Feb 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #46 of 56
A couple of people have mentioned using the Kindle with PDFs.  What types of PDFs are you reading?

I've been looking for an e-reader for journal articles, research papers, etc.  Part of the problem with these is that some have 2 or 3 column layouts.  Others have statistical graphs.  Will the Kindle work with these?  How easy is it to import PDFs into the Kindle?

I've heard the Kindle DX does well with these but I think it's too expensive.

The easy answer is to buy a tablet, but I my eyes get tired quickly when reading on LCDs.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #47 of 56
It's extremely easy to import PDFs to the Kindle but as you mentioned, the DX handles them better than the smaller version. I would not recommend the smaller version of the Kindle if your primary use for it is PDFs.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #48 of 56

Quote:
It's extremely easy to import PDFs to the Kindle but as you mentioned, the DX handles them better than the smaller version. I would not recommend the smaller version of the Kindle if your primary use for it is PDFs.

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 56
I _love_ my kindle 3. It is my own little personal hitchhikers guide. the only real complaint i could have is the lack of ePub support, which meant that i had to convert my 400+ existing ebooks using Calibre. But at least i know in the event of a zombie appocalypse i've got a little entertainment that will last me as long as i can find enough sun to charge up the battery (very important product consideration feature).

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #50 of 56

Quote:
A couple of people have mentioned using the Kindle with PDFs.  What types of PDFs are you reading?

I've been looking for an e-reader for journal articles, research papers, etc.  Part of the problem with these is that some have 2 or 3 column layouts.  Others have statistical graphs.  Will the Kindle work with these?  How easy is it to import PDFs into the Kindle?

I've heard the Kindle DX does well with these but I think it's too expensive.

The easy answer is to buy a tablet, but I my eyes get tired quickly when reading on LCDs.

i find the Sony ebook readers to be far better than the kindle at dealing with these things.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #51 of 56
Yeah - not a big fan of the kindle with PDF files - they're definitely awesome when viewing on the DX!! but can't beat the size/portability/light-weight of the smaller kindle (3). 

I DO happen to read .cbr/.cbz files (comics) and though it's crazy small, reading them in landscape makes it much more tolerable. 

For me, Kindle is like the Apple of e-readers using e-ink.  The interface is really simple to use.  Though like the first person that posted, I really wish the books WERE cheaper but it definitely doesn't deter me from purchasing them - just having the whole library in such a small device is MONEY!!

Along with my iphone 4, I actually sold my IPAD 2 because with my iphone 4, macbook aluminum ~08, the ipad was just overkill.  The Kindle does what it was built to do and does it well; e-ink is unbeatable for reading (IMO). 

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #52 of 56
I just rotate my Kindle 3's display horizontally when I want to view PDFs. It fits the width of the document to the screen and breaks the height of each page into page turns. Works great for me.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #53 of 56
I've had my Kindle 3 for about four months now. Love it. I have it to admit that it was an impulsive buy (read the first 100 or so reviews on Amazon and HAD to have it); however I'm really pleased that I did. It's re-sparked my interest in reading.

I see quite a few potential customers saying that the reading of a book, with real pages, smells, texture etc etc; they feel that reading a book is an experience in itself and they assume the Kindle will take this away from them. Personally, I say "Hogwash!" to all of the above. If anything, the feel of the pages; the uncomfortable weight of them; and the odd positioning that one has to put oneself in to read books in bed were negatives which kept me from reading. I hated that pages had coffee stains on them, and I cringed at the texture of the pages on my fingertips as I turned them over. Also the inconvenience of altering your grip of the book to turn the pages was enough of an annoyance to find reading a drag.

With the Kindle, I just find reading so much cleaner. I've actually read more recreationally in the last 4 months than I have in the last three/four years (since the last HP book no less!). I have always enjoyed literature (A* English student) so I wouldn't put it down to inability to read or incomprehension. I genuinely found the primitive motions of reading enough of a deal breaker to not read. However pedantic as that sounds, the Kindle eradicated all the nuances of reading and, as already said, re-sparked my interest in reading.

I bought the Kindle 3G with the lighted Kindle-designed cover. The built-in light is invaluable, as I read mostly at night and it's just such a nice feeling knowing that I don't have to remember to bring a clip on light everywhere I go. Also, the leather cover is really well made and just makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable (also it rectifies the peculiar center of gravity that the Kindle has by itself).

Essentially the Kindle is a £200 (£150 device + £50 cover) book. Which, when put that way it sounds pretty ridiculous. However, for all the reasons stated above and many many more, I love my Kindle, and I'm thourghly glad that I worked for ~50 hours (student's wages!) to afford it.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #54 of 56
That's a very interesting New Yorker article (link in post #10). I still like to hold a book when I read and any book I buy, new or used, I loan to 3 or 4 people before it gets donated to the Libary. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #55 of 56
I love my kindle and dont go to far without it. I use to be a traditionalist with having to read paper books etc. Not anymore.. the kindle is a great device to read books on and I find I read more books now than before. I especially like the new Kindle with the built in light. Ive had the DX and it was too big for reading books but just "ok" for business. I also like reading in bed and prefer the kindle as its lighter than a paperback.. and especially lying on my side in bed.. there is no "hard to hold a paperback" struggle lying on my side and then alternating to the other page.. with the Kindle you just hold a simple small tablet and hit the turn page button. There are also ways around "sharing" books so for me thats not an issue anymore either. So myself, my wife and friends "share" books all the time and at only 500k or so you can easily email them.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #56 of 56
Loving my Sony PRS650, especially now that I've put on PRS+ firmware which gave me a few features that it initially lacked.

I've read more books than I ever have. In fact, I've changed my living-room around a little so that I have a sofa at the bay window to read at. Plus point is that my hifi set up has also benefited from the re-order. Win win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back