Kindle - Fi
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 26
Mmmm good wine, a book and music... my cup overfloweth
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 26
The K2 has caught my eye, as well. Do you have to buy all books from Amazon? Or can you upload PDF docs and read those? I have a number of books on PDF that I'd like to be able to read conveniently. Some I print out and bind at work, but those take up a lo of shelf space. Also, I'd like to scan documents into PDF and take them along. Can you do this? If so, I might have to put my order in.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K2 has caught my eye, as well. Do you have to buy all books from Amazon? Or can you upload PDF docs and read those? I have a number of books on PDF that I'd like to be able to read conveniently. Some I print out and bind at work, but those take up a lo of shelf space. Also, I'd like to scan documents into PDF and take them along. Can you do this? If so, I might have to put my order in.

there are actually many ways to get PDFs onto your kindle. amazon offers two ways - one that directly puts PDFs you send to amazon onto your kindle (they convert it) and another that emails the PDF to your kindle email address and then you manually put it onto the kindle.

but, there are other ways to convert PDFs to kindle format - i'm only familiar with apps on the mac that do it. one is an app called calbre: calibre

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 26
Well my cat just killed my Kindle 2. She kicked it off a desk (~3 ft high) and the screen now has a diagonal crack running across it. Guess it's time to figure out how good the ServiceNet warranty is...

May 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are actually many ways to get PDFs onto your kindle. amazon offers two ways - one that directly puts PDFs you send to amazon onto your kindle (they convert it) and another that emails the PDF to your kindle email address and then you manually put it onto the kindle.

but, there are other ways to convert PDFs to kindle format - i'm only familiar with apps on the mac that do it. one is an app called calbre: calibre

Actually, one of the new features that's been announced for the Kindle DX, other than the size, and the iPhone-like auto-landscape-mode, is native PDF support. So no more conversions. Just, I imagine, copy the thing for free using USB, or pay Amazon a dime to sent it to your kindle wirelessly.

Seems conceivable that the native PDF support might well end up in a software update for the older Kindles, but, as far as I know, they haven't announced anything like that.

May 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, one of the new features that's been announced for the Kindle DX, other than the size, and the iPhone-like auto-landscape-mode, is native PDF support. So no more conversions. Just, I imagine, copy the thing for free using USB, or pay Amazon a dime to sent it to your kindle wirelessly.

Seems conceivable that the native PDF support might well end up in a software update for the older Kindles, but, as far as I know, they haven't announced anything like that.

this new DX perplexes me...the timing of it, the size of it, everything. i suppose they're trying to hit a market (academia) that could potentially adopt the kindle (my university is one of the test universities for the DX) as a replacement for textbooks...we'll see...

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #24 of 26
I pre-ordered the K2 back in February for my 50th bday. I have read at least 10 books on it so far, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been an avid reader all my life, reading mainly sci-fi and fantasy. I read adventure too - Clive Cussler and such.

I have download many free books from several locations, including Amazon. These work fine, however the non-amazon books will not synchronize like the amazon books. I use the kindle reader for my iPhone, and get some reading time in during the day when I get stuck waiting for 5-30 minutes.

Very nice combo. Other reasons to use the K2 vs. reading all the books I used to is saving a couple of bucks on most items (if not free), and not having to throw away/recycle all the books I used to.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 26
I'm certainly willing to believe that the Kindle has some value, but were you really throwing books away before? I've never had trouble finding someone to take them off my hands for free, and I have a definite negative gut reaction to the idea of intentionally destroying a book.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #26 of 26
Am a little late seeing this thread - but I love my kindle. Have had it about a year 1/2 now & love being able to take magazines & news with me on the go in addition to whatever I'm reading at the time.

FYI there is a forum for kindle users: Kindle Boards - Index Picked up some cool info here. i didn't know you can replace & add to the screensavers. All kinds of cool screensavers people have made for their kindles. Also bought a cool cover & a skin so now my kindle is well dressed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back