Kindle DX
May 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone thinking of getting one? I'm seriously considering getting the Kindle 2 and one of the reasons I was holding off was to see what this one had to offer. It's pretty much the same as its predecessor except for the larger screen size, native PDF support, and landscape mode. I really like those features but overall I don't think it justifies the $489 price tag. I'm having a hard time convincing myself $359 is worth it for the K2 but I'm still inclined to get it.

Actually, I'd prefer something with a screen size in between the K2 and DX but I think it will be a while before we see any additional offerings from Amazon. There are some other features I wish it had, but just as a book reader, I think the Kindle will suit me fine.

One HUGE mistake I think Amazon is making, specifically with the DX, is not having a replaceable battery. One of the primary targets of the DX is students, to use it in lieu of textbooks. What if you're in the middle of a semester or two weeks before finals and your battery needs to be replaced?

May 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 9
I have a similar question about the whole thing. Personally, the Kindle DX might be a little big for my purposes. It seems like the PDF support is a big deal for business.

I would use the kindle strictly as a book reader, so it seems like the smaller screen size would be adequate and the portability would be much better.

Let us know what you decide and be sure to post pics!

May 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 9
I picked the Sony PRS-505 over the Kindle, and have been happy. The Sony Reader supports PDF natively (including reflow) as well as various other open formats (ePub). It also has a better MP3 player. Since the Sony supports Adobe Digital Editions (DRM'd PDF), I can borrow books electronically from my public library. You'll have to hack the library's MobiPocket book format if you want it to work on the Kindle (not really that complicated, but why bother).

The Kindle is great if you rely heavily on paid content through amazon.com and want basic wireless surfing. The built-in dictionary and search is missing on the Sony.

The Sony wins when it comes to supporting open standards and getting free, legal content (500,000 google books formatted for it) or using books from your public library. Though layout-intensive PDFs needs a much bigger screen (like on the iRex). It's also available from places like Target so you can pick it up right away.

In the end, what steered me away from the Kindle was the insistence on relying on amazon.com for content. I mostly borrow books online from my public library, and save web pages as .PDF files, so the Sony worked out better for me.

May 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

The Sony wins when it comes to supporting open standards and getting free, legal content (500,000 google books formatted for it)

This is true but there is still plenty of free content available for the Kindle. Sites such as ManyBooks.net already have it formatted and Amazon will do it for a nominal fee.

May 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 9
May 8, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true but there is still plenty of free content available for the Kindle. Sites
clear.gif
such as ManyBooks.net already have it formatted and Amazon will do it for a nominal fee.

Yeah its some good stuff. The new DX should be amazing I am getting one for sure

May 8, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 9
I love my Kindle 1, and was hoping for many months that something like the Kindle DX would come out, even though I had no reason to believe that was going to happen until the leaks started last week.

The reason, in my case, is technical books. The regular Kindle is great for novels, but just too small for anything with diagrams, code listings, flowcharts, and the like. The thought of never buying another heavy technical book, and of carting my entire technical library along with me, is intoxicatingly wonderful.

May 8, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 9
I might get one. I'll have to wait until I am back in the US but the only thing that would hold me off from getting one is wanting to know what the timeline would be on the next edition. Still, this has pretty much everything that I would want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back