Kinda Stupid Question about the Mad Dogs
May 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

krevvy

New Head-Fier
So I have been looking for a good pair of cans to upgrade to from my CoPs, and I have read a few reviews on Mad Dogs but arn't they just a modded pair of a 100$ pair cans?

How hard would it be to buy the 100$ cans and mod it? I just find it weird that there is 200$ difference between the Fostex T50RP and the mad dogs?

I know it seems kinda like a stupid question.

Also how hard is it to replace the head band? 

May 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I just modified my Fostex T50RP's 1 hour ago. Spent $20.00 on Amazon for a modification kit that had felt, cotton, acoustic strips, and putty/clay/blue tac >> not sure what it is called. Spent another $20.00 on Amazon for Shure ear pads.  This makes the Fostex a totally different headphone.... in a good way.

Those people that modify the Fostex might do other mods that cost big $$$. Can't comment on their headphones because I have not heard them.

May 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 5
The price difference comes from the cost of materials used as well as (likely) a markup for providing professional service. I'm not sure what their warranty policy is like, but I don't expect Fostex to hold your hand if you carve up their headphones to make better ones. Mr. Speakers, on the other hand? Already modded. Like all things audio, the value of a product is up to whatever the person places on it.

May 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 5
You should do some more research on the T50RP mods, and the results people have gotten compared to the Mad Dog.

Sure - you could TRY doing it yourself and save some money, there are a lot of guidelines & instructions out there, but Mr. Speakers has their own "secret sauce" (process) which, may be the best method of modding them, or at least better than the DIY methods. That's all up for debate, but at least w/ the Mad Dogs there's no risk involved, you know you will get a finished product that is well reviewed and praised for their sound + comfort. Also keep in mind they come with the very comfy Alpha Pads which retail for $59, which will also work on a variety of other headphones. And lastly, once you have the Mad Dogs, you can upgrade them to the Alpha's at a reduced price. 

So, of course you could go it your own, but if you don't know what you're doing there's no guarantee you'll even improve them, let alone get to the level that the Mad Dogs are at. It's up to you if its worth the extra price or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back