Kinda OT. Don't wanna die. What can I touch? >56k warning<
Oct 19, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 30
Theoretically it should mostly throw things away from you - you punch a hole in the end closest to you. Air whooshes into the tube from the side you're on very very quickly, pushing a bunch of stuff in front of it. Stuff explodes out the far end of the tube away from you.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 30
Yes you would absolutely think that would be true. But it is not the
case. Once it was explained to me, but i don't remember. The rear
bell actually shears away from the frit seal and thats what causes the
bell to move forward. The mass of the electron gun assembly does the
rest. You do have to remove the deflection coils otherwise it does not
work right.

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 30
I built this:
10042228-M.jpg

Broom handle, copper bar hammered and filed to a screwdriver tip, awg6 stranded wire soldered on, it's far end tinned then filed to a friction fit in the ground slot of a wall outlet.

This TV's chassis is a marvel of plastic molding.
10042230-M.jpg

Only metal to speak of is kind of a clamp going around the front of the tube that also bolts into the plastic. Is this where to ground to? The only strap across the bottom of the tube is the little thin braided one you can see here. I don't have a very big clamp to terminate the 'magic wand' with - just a medium small alligator clip. It would be easier to just use the wall outlet's ground. Real earth no good?

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

P.S. Kevin I watched your 'Making Water' video. It seemed dramatic and cool but I couldn't really see what was going on. I could understand 'Destroying Water' if you were electrolysing it and igniting the hydrogen... what was that?

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
make sure to wear safety googles and clench your arse cheecks really hard
eek.gif

That's a good idea! Maybe bring a spare pair of underwear, with instroctions for the EMTs to change them before transporting you.

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 30
Do the short to ground more than once, or hit it and leave it connected for a few minutes, as the tube still has some charge within - like a lot of HV devices, it can be shorted to ground for a second or so, then with the migration of electrons from out of the insulation and other structure, will build a (smaller) charge to discharge through the next available path...

I, too used to throw rocks/shoot tubes...the implosions could be pretty amaziing. The shot or rock propogates cracks in the glass, the structure fails faster than the glass (now shards) can accelerate and the vacuum causes the glass to all head to the middle, and then to pass through the incoming opposite side's also incoming glass, thoroughly shrapnelling the stuff. Do it inside a room, and the floor and ceiling, and the walls will have sharp shards embedded, if you started with a big tube, bare...

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 30
Another worthwhile safety precaution when working on anything mains powered is to hang the mains lead so the connector is in your line of sight when working. That way, you're certain no-one has plugged it in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back