Kinda dissapointed with my new Sony Walkman NWZ-S545
May 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

brugalete

New Head-Fier
I´ve just bought a brand new sony S-545. My last DAP was a Samsung P2 that I´ve enjoyed the past 2 years. Previously I owned a Cowon D2 and a Iriver U10. For my testing I always used a pair of Westone UM-2 IEM´s.

The thing is that I´m not really happy with the change. When my P2 "died", the first DAP that came to my mind was Sony´s walkman (since the good reviews I´ve read from them everywhere). But after listening to my new "toy" I just can feel dissapointed with the outcome.

Compared to my old (and wrecked) P2, the sony sounds flat, less clear, lack of soundstage (less separation) and I missed punchy (but controlled) bass I normally heard from my Westone´s. WHAT WENT WRONG???

Is the e-series sound signature different from the one shown in the x-series??? Does anything to do with the internal amplifier??? Why none pointed that out in the reviews??? Are they all biased??

I might end up selling the sony since I don´t think is paired to my beloved Westone´s UM2...Which one is the best sounding DAP in terms of SQ ??? I don´t care about video, screen, controls and that crap...just interested in good sound.

PD: I beg you pardon for my poor english.

May 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 21
You don't need to BEG pardon for english, just use spell checker

if you are disappointed with it, then give it to me
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 21
hahaha
dt880smile.png
... my spelling it is pretty much ok (for a foreigner), I am more concerned of my grammar (no kidding). There are not grammar checker Iam affraid.

I would appreciate if you could help me with my sounding issues
confused_face_2.gif

May 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 21
I have the Sony X, Sony S639, Sansa Clip, Cowon D2, and the Samsung P3. The P3 gets used most of the time. It sounds better than the rest of my daps. I just select my DNSe, where all settings can be configured by the user, and I leave everything off, flat eq, and just set clarity to +1. That made a big difference for me. The Sony X doesn't sound as good no matter what configuration I've set up. If you liked the P2, sell or return the S545 and get the P3.

May 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Thank you Rip N Burn

The P3 was always a top choice for me but since I already pulled the trigger (and missed the target once) I wouldn´t mind to get a real improvement. I know it does sound a little bit crazy and considering this mistake I shoud be more conservative but after the dissapoinment now I feel like buying the best sounding DAP righ-out-the-box (this is, without external AMP and things like that). Any thoughts???

May 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 21
The Nationite S:Flo2 might fit the bill. I don't have one but I have read that it has fantastic sound quality.

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_36_58&products_id=377

May 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 21
Thank, I am really interested in this DAP, looks full of features...It would be nice to find someone who actually have listen to both of them

my other concern is: For this S:FLO2, is there any stock or just pre-order??? I´ve read somewhere else (I might be wrong) that it is really hard to get one...

May 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 21
I have the S:flo2, and have some experience listening to Sony DAPs, and the S:flo2 is, using HP out, an amazing player SQ-wise. Can't compete with the Sony or any other mainstream DAPs for UI (be warned, it's a pain in the butt), but for pure SQ, the S:flo2 is truly amazing. It's the best player I've heard via HP out (it also has a line out, but I have never tried it since I have no amp). I am using the Fischer DBA-02s right now, and they are a perfect match for the S:Flo2. But you are right, the S:flo2s are hard to get since they are on backorder at mp4nation.net.

May 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 21
I think it's just pre-order for now. Every time they get a new batch they sell out very quickly. Check the for sale forums. I see one up for sale every once in a while. Here is a link for people comparing other daps with the S:Flo 2:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473353/sony-x1000-walkman-or-s-flo2

May 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I´ve just bought a brand new sony S-545. My last DAP was a Samsung P2 that I´ve enjoyed the past 2 years. Previously I owned a Cowon D2 and a Iriver U10. For my testing I always used a pair of Westone UM-2 IEM´s.

The thing is that I´m not really happy with the change. When my P2 "died", the first DAP that came to my mind was Sony´s walkman (since the good reviews I´ve read from them everywhere). But after listening to my new "toy" I just can feel dissapointed with the outcome.

Compared to my old (and wrecked) P2, the sony sounds flat, less clear, lack of soundstage (less separation) and I missed punchy (but controlled) bass I normally heard from my Westone´s. WHAT WENT WRONG???

Is the e-series sound signature different from the one shown in the x-series??? Does anything to do with the internal amplifier??? Why none pointed that out in the reviews??? Are they all biased??

I might end up selling the sony since I don´t think is paired to my beloved Westone´s UM2...Which one is the best sounding DAP in terms of SQ ??? I don´t care about video, screen, controls and that crap...just interested in good sound.

PD: I beg you pardon for my poor english.

Just buy a Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox it. You will never look back.

I own a Cowon D2, Samsung R1, Sony X1060, Sony S639, Cowon iAudio X5 and iPod Touch etc and the Sansa Clip+ Rockboxed sounds better than any of those players put together.

Art

May 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 21
Finally, I reconsider my position and pulled the trigger for the P3. The reason is pretty simple:  battery life is something I can´t live with (S:FLO2 lacks of that) and, on the other hand, I am not willing to wait months for a DAP. On top of that I really like Samsung sound signature (even though I know it must be another world to discover out of Samsung).

Thank you all for heads up!!!

May 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Nice Avatar Artmuzz
tongue.gif

I agree - that's a great avatar,.....and a few of the guys w/the Can Jam Chicago avatars need to change them to something original - looks like the same person posting comments in the thread over and over the way it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back