Kind of Blue
Jan 19, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to Kind of Blue and my 5 year old just walked into my office. I asked him if he wanted to listen to some of the best music ever. He said he did so I put my headphones on him and he immediately started swaying with the music. Then he whispered "why aren't they singing?" 5 year olds are great.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 17
LOL. Great job, getting the young one started off right. I see his dad has excellent tatse in music, and he's headed in the same direction.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 17
Miles' first two notes in his solo on So What, the single best two notes in the history of music.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 17
With that last post I had to go back to So What to give it another listen. As soon as I got to the solo my 7 year old walked in so I let him listen. He sat on my lap for about one minute then I took the headphones off and asked him what he thought. one word. 'Great.' I don't think that would have been my reaction at that age. I'm glad my kids are not only smarter and better looking than me, but also more sophisticated.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 17
Check out live at 1963 monterey. Miles would have been a cool dude to meet. Too bad he HATED white people, understandable at the time.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then he whispered "why aren't they singing?" 5 year olds are great.

Your response should have been, "they are...in a different language"

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miles would have been a cool dude to meet. Too bad he HATED white people, understandable at the time.

Who told you that? Tip: You shouldn't believe anything said by stupid or intolerant people. Miles hated them and never made a secret of it. Talk to the white people he employed throughout his career (Bill Evans, Dave Holland, John McLaughlin, Mike Stern, Dave Liebman, Steve Grossman, John Scofield, etc, etc.) if you want the truth.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 17
I know many jazz purists don't like Miles Davis Tutu album but I quite liked it. How about you guys?

My father was a jazz freak so I grew up listening to all the great jazz albums. I've seen Branford Marsalis, Art Tatum and Joe Pass live. My Dad played bass in a jazz band for a while too.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know many jazz purists don't like Miles Davis Tutu album but I quite liked it. How about you guys?

That album kind of amazes me. I don't think it's great, but it's pretty amazing that Marcus Miller found a contemporary sound that allowed Miles Davis to play trumpet somewhat similar to the way he'd always played it. I wish there was more subtlety in the rhythm tracks, but whenever I hear the cut "Tutu", I think, 'damn, he really found a way to still be Miles Davis in the synth era.' The tune's almost hummable. I swear, if that's not genius…

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 17
This morning I was listening to Gerry Mulligan--At the Village Vanguard. My 5 year came into my office to tell me something and he asked if he could listen again. I told him who the artist was and he listened for a while and then left. A few minutes ago my 7 year old came in and he wanted to listen to something so I put on the same album. The 5 year old came and and asked if his brother was listening to 'Gerry Mulkin.' I'm always amazed at what sticks. Either way, they both gave Gerry a big thumbs up.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out live at 1963 monterey. Miles would have been a cool dude to meet. Too bad he HATED white people, understandable at the time.

I would have to disagree. Though he hated a lot of white people at the time, and generalised a lot (which can be understood), one of his best friends, in fact his best friend, was Gil Evans who was white, and in his autobiography he noted that not all white people were racist. It's just that sometimes he sounds like a white hater, really he is just a racism hater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back