Kind of a weird situation trying to use JBL LSR308s for TV
Dec 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sancor

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Spent the last several hours trying to figure out a solution to this problem, and it seems increasingly like there's no practical solution. Here it is:

I purchased some LSR308 speakers as a "gift" to my apartment, with the idea to connect them to our Samsung TV that has horrible built-in speakers. The problem is, this particular model of TV doesn't have an audio-output, which I originally thought I could overcome by using a monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher with analog audio output to the speakers as follows:

Roku       --->                            (HDMI out) ---> TV monitor
Chromecast --->   HDMI Switcher 
PlayStation   --->                           (Stereo out)---> JBL LSR308

Unfortunately, I totally overlooked the fact that this disables volume control from the TV remote, and the HDMI switcher remote is only for, you guessed it, switching the HDMI signal being forwarded to the TV. 

Now, I figured I might be able to just shell out a bit more money and get an AV receiver to manage the HDMI inputs and also give me remote volume control in addition to some cool features like streaming Spotify, etc. Unfortunately, I am now seeing that AVRs don't generally offer pre-amp outputs that would connect to my powered LSR308s, at least not for a reasonable amount of money. Though if there was a way to circumvent this I wouldn't mind buying a $300-400 AVR with the intention of building a surround sound system in the (probably distant) future.

I'm now thinking that the only way I could possibly connect these speakers to my TV, would be to actually buy a new TV with an audio output. This gets a bit tricky because the current TV is my roommates, and it would be a bit contentious to find a new place to put his TV, if I were to buy a new one.

I'm hoping someone out there might know of a solution that I overlooked. 

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
Sancor

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 7
In terms of newer TV's having an audio out... Sadly, not all do! It's odd, isn't it? That being said, the LSR's shouldn't have an issue accepting an AVR's amped output as they accept 3.5mm last time I checked.
They should fare decently with any sources, obviously line out being the best option. If you were to get an AVR,I'd personally use either 1/4 out (if it has hp out) or just wired in like normal speakers, using RCA or banana's (can't remember which inputs LSR's carry) 

The TV should have a digital out, or is it too old? You could always pick up an optical DAC rather than a whole AVR but the AVR might be more bang for your buck, and expandable (if 5.1/7.1 capable). Also, the capability to have ~5 HDMI in to the AVR and out one plug definitely comes in handy, along with the volume control being on the unit (with a controller, unlike having line out to the speakers).

Grat's on the purchase though, have been eyeing 305's for a while now! A lil' jealous.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 7
Use an HDMI to HDMI video+SPDIF audio splitter, then use a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit to take the SPDIF audio signal and send it to the speakers via a preamp output. 

Before you order one though check if the JBLs are shielded, if they're not then you really can't use them close to the TV.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 7
  In terms of newer TV's having an audio out... Sadly, not all do! It's odd, isn't it? That being said, the LSR's shouldn't have an issue accepting an AVR's amped output as they accept 3.5mm last time I checked.
They should fare decently with any sources, obviously line out being the best option. If you were to get an AVR,I'd personally use either 1/4 out (if it has hp out) or just wired in like normal speakers, using RCA or banana's (can't remember which inputs LSR's carry) 

The TV should have a digital out, or is it too old? You could always pick up an optical DAC rather than a whole AVR but the AVR might be more bang for your buck, and expandable (if 5.1/7.1 capable). Also, the capability to have ~5 HDMI in to the AVR and out one plug definitely comes in handy, along with the volume control being on the unit (with a controller, unlike having line out to the speakers).

Grat's on the purchase though, have been eyeing 305's for a while now! A lil' jealous.

It's pretty shocking, there isn't any sort of audio output on this model at all (model ln40e550f7fxza, if you want to stay clear of it...) 

I could go out of the amp via the headphone jack on the receiver, but I guess it feels silly to be spending upwards of $400 to not be able to use the more advanced audio features of the receiver, especially in the future if I wanted to expand into a surround sound system. Though it sounds like you're suggesting wiring directly from the amped speaker-level banana outputs into the XLR or 1/4 inputs of the LSR308? 

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 7

Use an HDMI to HDMI video+SPDIF audio splitter, then use a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit to take the SPDIF audio signal and send it to the speakers via a preamp output. 

Before you order one though check if the JBLs are shielded, if they're not then you really can't use them close to the TV.

The JBLs are magnetically shielded, fortunately :)

Thanks for the suggestion - do you have any recommendation for a unit that also has remote volume controls?

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Ah, just realized there's no 1/8" input, could've sworn there was on the 305's.
Yeah, you'd have to do speaker-level to xlr or 1/4" I suppose. weird that there's no RCA input.. Maybe you can find a decent AVR with RCA out?

At home, we have the Yamaha RX-A720 (goes for $500, though) which has component and analog out (they don't specify but I believe it's just one set of RCA) and x2 pre amp out for subs, which I don't think can be adjusted to for L/R with powered speakers.. But there's the RCA for that.. Weird how slim your choices become when you get stereo monitors lol! There should be someone around that knows of an easy fix to this problem but the hdmi audio splitter may be your best bet, the volume should be controlled by the tv if it works the way I'd expect it to..

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The JBLs are magnetically shielded, fortunately :)

Thanks for the suggestion - do you have any recommendation for a unit that also has remote volume controls?

New units won't be cheap if you want a (HPamp-)DAC-Pre unit with a remote. AudioGD's sell for around $600 plus $50 if you want an aluminum remote instead of plastic. 

An alternative would be a network stereo receiver. For around $400 you can get the Onkyo TX-8050, a stereo receiver with an amp you won't use, but it has 2.1ch preamp output so you can easily add a subwoofer later. Think of the network function as a bonus that can allow you to run without the computer and TV if you're just listening to audio (remote app provides UI for content navigation).

That said you just have to weigh what you need more: a fantastic headphone amp circuit for night listening, or a 2.1 preamp. Alternately, if you don't mind used units, check out Craigslist and eBay for example as you might come across a preamp with remote control made by more traditional speaker gear manufacturers like NAD or Rotel. If you can get these cheap, then just add $150 for a Schiit Modi2Uber. Just make sure shipping costs on the fullsize preamp isn't going to bump the price up too high.

---

BTW here's an HDMI audio extractor with three HDMI inputs and an optical SPDIF output
http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switcher-Selector-Extractor/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449508388&sr=1-6&keywords=HDMI+to+SPDIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back