Kimi nails it this time!
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 40
I love F1. Even a supposedly "boring" race like this one has no trouble entertaining the heck out of me. I've luckily grown up with F1, becoming a fan as a kid back in the days of Senna and Mansell, among others. I'm not so crazy about some of the recent rules changes, but oh well. It's always nice to see all the various personalities, and how a given year's driver/team/car combinations will work out. Nothing too abnormal happened this week, a surprisingly clean and simple race. I guess it will take a bit longer to flesh out the true colors of the coming season. It is a bit odd without Jacques and Juan Pablo, but we have a great crop of young guys this year, just the same.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #17 of 40
Yes - it will be a little tamer. Both Jacques and Juan Pablo had their tempers, and added another dimension to F1. It's a bit of a shame that Juan Pablo didn't realise his potential, but like most guys out there, given the right car any of them could win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...It is a bit odd without Jacques and Juan Pablo, but we have a great crop of young guys this year, just the same.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you missed my point totally. I was referring to his partying abilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

And you missed my joke, so let's call it even.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #19 of 40
In other news Montoya won his first Nascar race not too long ago
rolleyes.gif

As for Raikkonen he was hailed as being the next Schumacher, so one win isn't really impressing me. But Ferrari could turn him into a superstar, I still have to catch this on Speed.

All the interesting drivers have left F1
frown.gif

And it looks like Button is still stuck in his dead end contract :/

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it looks like Button is still stuck in his dead end contract :/

Button isn't quite good enough to achieve all the great things people suggested he was capable of. Currently he's in that same sort of phase as Villeneuve was when his career started to stagnate, plenty of talent, sure, but without the internal drive to move achieve greater things. He's going to win points, but he's unlikely to win any races, and I really can't see that changing even if he left Honda.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #21 of 40
I love how Schumacher supposedly nominated Raikkonen as his successor, over Alonser. Like, Fernando might've beaten him to the title twice, but Raikkonen was the only one ever to pose any sort of challenge in a car that wasn't twice as good as his Ferrari.

Of course this whole scenario probably only happened in my fanboy fever dreams but still, GO KIMI! It was looking positively 2002 out there with that red car leading by a country mile.

As for the actual race I must admit I was sort of drifting out in the middle-3/4 part of the race. At 4am it just didn't seem all that important whether or not Ralf, running around somewhere in that 8th-16th position gray area he's become so familiar with, had a little dot on his tires.

Ridiculous rule by the way, I must agree. Either bring one compound or take two and let the teams decide, this way is just strange and pointless. Especially seeing as the Soft compound wasn't that much quicker.

And good god were the announcers here ever awkward talking about Hamilton being the first black guy in F1 before the race. It was great, one literally used the phrase "adds a bit of color to the field". Too bad the guy got shafted in the pits, but that was one hell of a debut.

Incidentally, what's Massa still doing at Ferrari? No offense, but now that he's no longer needed as Schumi's squire I really don't see why he shouldn't just roll back down the grid to one of the twelve Red Bull fielded cars or BMW.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't happy with the end of Michael. I've been in mourning since last fall.
frown.gif

I wasn't even aware there was a race today.
plainface.gif

But hey, if Kimi won, that should mean that Shumis old ride won! Right!
very_evil_smiley.gif

....I think......Right!?
confused.gif

Technically no. Oddly enough Massa has the first driver's seat. So, Kimi has Massa's old ride. While Massa has the privelige of Shumi's old position. He was not too bad at pulling off a podium position from dead last Shumi race. Now that would have been a good way to see Shumi off. Kimi wins. Massa on Second pulling a Shumi.

Two Ferraris on podium would have given a good constructers points, sort of like what Mclaren did. But.... did anyone notice Ferrari got the Constructor's tropy, but they won 13 points to Mclaren's 14 points.
blink.gif
I was so confused. Mclaren had to cars on podium that almost always garners Constructors. But somehow Ferrari got it, but then I totalled the points and it def. was supposed to go to Mclaren, anyone else notice?

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incidentally, what's Massa still doing at Ferrari? No offense, but now that he's no longer needed as Schumi's squire I really don't see why he shouldn't just roll back down the grid to one of the twelve Red Bull fielded cars or BMW.

Massa is a fast driver, he's just pretty inconsistent.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how Schumacher supposedly nominated Raikkonen as his successor, over Alonser. Like, Fernando might've beaten him to the title twice, but Raikkonen was the only one ever to pose any sort of challenge in a car that wasn't twice as good as his Ferrari.

Of course this whole scenario probably only happened in my fanboy fever dreams but still, GO KIMI! It was looking positively 2002 out there with that red car leading by a country mile.

As for the actual race I must admit I was sort of drifting out in the middle-3/4 part of the race. At 4am it just didn't seem all that important whether or not Ralf, running around somewhere in that 8th-16th position gray area he's become so familiar with, had a little dot on his tires.

Ridiculous rule by the way, I must agree. Either bring one compound or take two and let the teams decide, this way is just strange and pointless. Especially seeing as the Soft compound wasn't that much quicker.

And good god were the announcers here ever awkward talking about Hamilton being the first black guy in F1 before the race. It was great, one literally used the phrase "adds a bit of color to the field". Too bad the guy got shafted in the pits, but that was one hell of a debut.

Massa a good driver. He came from last to take 5th was it. I wouldnt write him off as a Shumi lackie. He must have been good enough to garner the top seat at Ferrari. So....

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - Kimi certainly is a talent. Ferrari appears to have a pretty solid package as does McLaren. Lewis has a top ride and did a top job with it - well done. Our man Mark Webber, once again, has technical problems and limps home in the middle of the pack due to a sticking throttle, What; it's an F1 car not a Ford Fiesta.

I hope that this year we get to see some good close racing.

What's with the new zany rule that soft and hard compound tyres must both be used in each race??? Are these guys drunk or stoned when they come up with these rules?

BTW - it turns out that as bit of a joke someone mentioned that the Melbourne race should be held at night under light to allow a better viewing time for the European audience. It seems now that Bernie Eccleston has jumped on board and thinks this is a great idea and is talking about it for next year, ROTFL. It's not that F1 is hard enough already - the drivers need another challenge.

Here looking towards a great racing season - and no more spoilers in the title.

I think running it at night would be cool for atleast one race. I mean night races are different and I think it adds a neat little twist at this race track. I say go for it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope Kimi gets it this year. I had enough of Alonso and his Gastone luck. On the other hand Kimi has been so unlucky. I guess luck will be the one to determine this years championship.

Another in the Alonso-haters club here. There's no denying his talent... but it doesn't mean I have to like his boastful whining.

That said, Kimi did have a terrible run of luck - seemed to culminate in last year's series when his McLaren seemed to prefer life in the garage. I think the Ferrari will do him good. I would assume they'll pay close attention to the consistency of his car (despite being #2 to Massa). I mean, they have to recognise his skill when behind the wheel of a solid car.

Now, let's discuss another driver: Fisichella. First race as the Renault poster boy, with modest though decent results. Nothing says consistency like a grid 6, 5th finish. I'd like to see him do well this year, now that he doesn't have to play blocker for Alonso.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massa a good driver. He came from last to take 5th was it. I wouldnt write him off as a Shumi lackie. He must have been good enough to garner the top seat at Ferrari. So....

Ditto. Lets not forget that he is the main test driver for the team as well together with Badoer so he basically built the Ferraris. Raikkonen showed up in the last month just to make sure he fits in the car.
icon10.gif

Does anyone know who the new manager will be in the place of Ross Brawn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back