Kimber Kable Axios Headphone Cable
Apr 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 30
I think that its safe to say that this thread has not been a resounding success in getting much useful feedback from Axios users. I am therefore unsubscribing from my own thread! Before I go I have found a proper review from someone who has actually used it - Paul Rigby: audiophileman is his site. He comes to the conclusion that although it is a good cable its not worth the money, echoing the view of jgwtriode above. Still I think its a review well worth reading for anyone considering the Axios cable. http://www.theaudiophileman.com/#!Kimber AXIOS/zoom/ckgg/c1d6

May 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #17 of 30
Question for LCD-4 owners:

I drive my LCD-4s with the Headamp LS-X Mk ii and balanced cables. I'm considering an upgrade to 3 meter runs (Balanced) of either the new Kimber Axios or the Moon Audio Silver Dragon Premium. Is anybody familiar with these with the LCD-4 and is one better than the other?

Thanks

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #18 of 30
This is rebadged 4PR/8PR, Its nicely packaged teflon coated 5 or 6 9's copper which is good stuff but not at $700 starting point. DHC and Norne have OCC Silver for this price or less in real geometries that make a difference. Go look at their pages and compare some real technology and a much fairer price.

What he said.

If you want nice looking, ok sounding cable and have lots of cash to burn- Kimber Axios is your cable!

One of my best friends was in the home audio business for over 15 years and sold Kimber and Tara Labs. I know a little bit about these brands... still, doesn't mean I'm an expert. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 30
image.jpg
image.jpg
What he said.

If looking for nice looking, mediocre sound and lots of cash to burn, Kimber Axios is your cable!
One thing to ask you....do you own one?? Cuz I sure hell do!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 30
Yes Ive owned it, tried it a while and sold it.

Is it terrible? No. Is there much better for half the price? Yes.

Its a nicely made good looking cable, I will agree to that.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 30
Yes Ive owned it, used it, and sold it.

This is currently what I'm using now. Those Telefunkens?? They're the real deal. Diamond etched bottom, E88CC's my friend and 99% of the time I'm listening to SACD's with the OPPO UDP-203
IMG_5179.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5178.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 30
Yes Ive owned it, used it, and sold it.

Out of curiosity, what cables do you think sound better?

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 30
Out of curiosity, what cables do you think sound better?

Cable offerings from DHC, Toxic, Moon Audio to name a few.

Again, the Axios is a nice well made cable- just not worth the asking price, nor the hype.

Just my opinion. Its all subjective. YMMV.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 30
I've enjoyed my Sony Kimber cables (which I know are not actually built by Kimber, just constructed from their cable), so while investigating options for my Focal Clear, I looked into Kimber cables proper, and found the page for their Axios line...

$800 for the least expensive cable they make... a 1.2m run of their basic copper. I found that so outrageous, I googled "Kimber Axios overpriced".

What I've discovered is that Kimber wastes their time actively manufacturing and marketing a headphone cable line so staggeringly unsuccessful, that there are basically no Google results other than single four-year-old thread on head-fi... A thread that is equal parts people expressing outrage at the cost, and wondering how the cables perform, since apparently only a single person has actually purchased them.

I emailed them this thread. Maybe they'll listen and re-price. Who knows.

EDIT UPDATE: 9 months later, and they haven’t responded to two emails nor made any changes to their line up. So now, I’m fairly certain the Sony Kimber cables are all Sony, and merely utilize the same third-party wire Kimber uses... Because the Sony “Kimber” cable is actually good, and I honestly just can’t imagine that a group of clowns who can so wildly misjudge the market are capable of designing a good cable. It just speaks to a deep, deep stupidity. I mean, even a three-year old with a lemonade stand understands the market won’t bear $200 a glass. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #25 of 30
I've enjoyed my Sony Kimber cables (which I know are not actually built by Kimber, just constructed from their cable), so while investigating options for my Focal Clear, I looked into Kimber cables proper, and found the page for their Axios line...

$800 for the least expensive cable they make... a 1.2m run of their basic copper. I found that so outrageous, I googled "Kimber Axios overpriced".

What I've discovered is that Kimber wastes their time actively manufacturing and marketing a headphone cable line so staggeringly unsuccessful, that there are basically no Google results other than single four-year-old thread on head-fi... A thread that is equal parts people expressing outrage at the cost, and wondering how the cables perform, since apparently only a single person has actually purchased them.

I emailed them this thread. Maybe they'll listen and re-price. Who knows.

EDIT UPDATE: 9 months later, and they haven’t responded to two emails nor made any changes to their line up. So now, I’m fairly certain the Sony Kimber cables are all Sony, and merely utilize the same third-party wire Kimber uses... Because the Sony “Kimber” cable is actually good, and I honestly just can’t imagine that a group of clowns who can so wildly misjudge the market are capable of designing a good cable. It just speaks to a deep, deep stupidity. I mean, even a three-year old with a lemonade stand understands the market won’t bear $200 a glass. :sweat_smile:

The Sony branded Kimber cables are good until you wear off the gold plating on the connector, which is incredibly easy to do given how the plug twists whether you use it with a Walkman or an amplifier. The connectors on the headphone side are not particularly sturdy either. I owned the cable you mention for under a year when the gold plating started to go on the amp side. I was rather annoyed when the sound crackled when the cable moved slightly. Then at 2 year mark the connectors on the ear cups started to deteriorate. Don't get me wrong, the cables are a real improvement over standard silver plated Sony cables for either Z7 or Z1R headphones but you are basically throwing away $250-300. I recently bought some Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables and they are significantly better than anything that Kimber makes. It's just too bad that Nordost decided to discontinue making that particular cable because of cost.

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 30
The Sony branded Kimber cables are good until you wear off the gold plating on the connector, which is incredibly easy to do given how the plug twists whether you use it with a Walkman or an amplifier. The connectors on the headphone side are not particularly sturdy either. I owned the cable you mention for under a year when the gold plating started to go on the amp side. I was rather annoyed when the sound crackled when the cable moved slightly. Then at 2 year mark the connectors on the ear cups started to deteriorate. Don't get me wrong, the cables are a real improvement over standard silver plated Sony cables for either Z7 or Z1R headphones but you are basically throwing away $250-300. I recently bought some Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables and they are significantly better than anything that Kimber makes. It's just too bad that Nordost decided to discontinue making that particular cable because of cost.
That sucks to hear... Mine have been perfect, going on 3+ years. I will ask, where did you buy yours? Are you sure they are authentic? There were some fakes floating around ebay for a minute there.

I can’t speak to the finish coming off the amp-side connector, as that can happen with any cable, if either the amp’s port or the cable’s connector tolerances are off even a fraction of a millimeter. Very common issue, there are even fix-it products available to combat this.

It’s the issue with your headphone’s connectors not being sturdy that strikes me as odd. These are thick machined aluminum that thread onto the headphone. They should be about as bomb-proof as connectors get. Mine certainly are...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 30
The Sony branded Kimber cables are good until you wear off the gold plating on the connector, which is incredibly easy to do given how the plug twists whether you use it with a Walkman or an amplifier.

DeOxit Gold is what you need to prevent that. It makes the plug connection more smooth, etc.:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #28 of 30
That sucks to hear... Mine have been perfect, going on 3+ years. I will ask, where did you buy yours? Are you sure they are authentic? There were some fakes floating around ebay for a minute there.

I can’t speak to the finish coming off the amp-side connector, as that can happen with any cable, if either the amp’s port or the cable’s connector tolerances are off even a fraction of a millimeter. Very common issue, there are even fix-it products available to combat this.

It’s the issue with your headphone’s connectors not being sturdy that strikes me as odd. These are thick machined aluminum that thread onto the headphone. They should be about as bomb-proof as connectors get. Mine certainly are...

While I'm well aware that there are plenty of fakes floating around the web, mine are authentic. Still, these are not exactly premium cables but are priced as such. I think this whole problem could have been avoided if Sony did not include that idiotic L shaped connector and gone with a straight 4.4 mm plug like most headphone cables have these days. Concerning the connectors at the ear cup level, I believe the connection between the plug and the wires is getting loose. Personally, I think it's odd that Sony would partner with someone who produces such sub par products. I mean, they put Kimber wiring in distinctly premium products such as their top of the line Walkman players that retail from 3k all the way up to 9k. There are better cable producers to choose from when partnering on such projects. At any rate, it was a valuable experience.

May 6, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #29 of 30
So I thought I'd chime in on this thread, as I actually own Axios CU (which I bought used). I also happen to have the Sony version (which has fewer strands, and is more micro-phonic likely due to a different insulation material). I bought mine used for cheap (in a termination that wasn't useful to many) and re-terminated them. I did the same with the Sony (avoids the plating issue). Re-termination is kind of a pain but its far from the the worst. In the process I used AECO connectors which are pure copper base with gold plating, so an actual upgrade.

Anyhow, I digress. I think the Axios CU sounds great. What does it do well? Its smooth, yet dynamic with a good stage. Its kind of like a Cardas Clear with more dynamics.

Outside looking in, I would have said the Axios was not worth it given the MSRP. After owning it b/c I found a deal, I think it actually is very much worth it (even at retail). The Sony Kimber is close to the Axios in sound, but not available in longer lengths, and doesn't feel as nice (has creaking / cable noise / micro-phonics).

In particular, I'm unaware of another cable on the market that is as robust a gauge as Axios (effectively 18 gauge cable with each + and - side carrying four, 24 gauge strands), without feeling unwieldy. Axios handles really well, with low micro-phonics. I also like the lack of a splitter. This makes the cable useful for longer runs with high power.

Its all relative too. Would I use the Axios on a Meze 99? No, probably not. That's just silly. Cables don't make that much of a difference. It is however useful in coaxing the last 5-10% of improvement out of higher end headphones. I thinker with cables after electronics and pads. Its the last thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back