Kimber Kable Axios Headphone Cable
Dec 22, 2015 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zappazappazappa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
     has anyone tried this new and very expensive headphone cable yet? If so what are your impressions with regard to sound quality and physical build? Any opinions on performance/value compared to other headphone cables? I'm particularly interested in its performance with Sennheiser HD800's in both single ended and balanced mode. I look forward to reading your posts.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 30

hi. I am the proud owner of an Axios cable, and can tell you that this cable has severely upped the performance of my system! I have the Bifrost Über, and I'm so amazed with the performance output, that I don't have a real desire to upgrade to the MultiBit option with my DAC. It's that incredible! IMHO?? If you have the cash to purchase one of these beautiful hand made cables, by all means. Please do! You will not regret the purchase. You will thank me, and thank yourself my friend :relieved::relieved: look at my profile to see my entire list of equipment I'm using. And you won't believe the claims I'm making. Especially with my Sennheiser HD650's! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I'll tell you, and everyone else. I never believed in cables. No one believed that the HD650 is a true reference headphone. Plug in an Axios! Run a decent DAC! Then see what people have to say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::sunglasses: just buy this cable, and don't look back. Pricey?!? Oh yes! Worth the money?!? HELL YES! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: hope my impressions help you. Here's some photos of my system, and photos of my Axios :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 30
Hi Spiderking,
                       thanks for getting the thread going. Just a couple of points. I don't find it hard to believe that some people are happy with the HD650  as an end game product, the fit and comfort are superb, it has great bass and is very easy to live with - I used to own a pair myself, however I think the HD800 offers all round better performance - in fact I haven't heard a headphone which I prefer overall. Second point, saying that the Axios cable has severely upped the performance of your system really doesn't really help anybody make a decision on whether it is a worthwhile upgrade - it  just says you're happy with it but without any detailed reasons.  Some AB comments on the performance compared with with the standard cable would be helpful.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 30
:flushed::flushed: I apologise for not giving the nitty and gritty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what's improved with the Axios addition without a doubt is the detail. When listening to The Beatles, my Floyd albums, Rage Against The Machine, etc etc, I'm able to hear the music in a whole different way now. I'm able to pick up those small details that were formerly hidden in the track. Those details were revealed, as well as the vocals being more coherent to my ears. Separation has improved, soundstage is about the same. Very little improvement at most. Imaging is very sweet. Transparency is amazing IMHO. I really love the fact that this cable has brought the best out of my equipment! In other words. I don't think anyone can judge the HD650's without having them plugged into a nice rig, with an Axios hooked up to your headphones :relieved::relieved: but hey, these are just my impressions :smile::smile::musical_score::headphones::microphone:

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 30
:flushed::flushed: I apologise for not giving the nitty and gritty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: what's improved with the Axios addition without a doubt is the detail. When listening to The Beatles, my Floyd albums, Rage Against The Machine, etc etc, I'm able to hear the music in a whole different way now. I'm able to pick up those small details that were formerly hidden in the track. Those details were revealed, as well as the vocals being more coherent to my ears. Separation has improved, soundstage is about the same. Very little improvement at most. Imaging is very sweet. Transparency is amazing IMHO. I really love the fact that this cable has brought the best out of my equipment! In other words. I don't think anyone can judge the HD650's without having them plugged into a nice rig, with an Axios hooked up to your headphones :relieved::relieved: but hey, these are just my impressions.​
Thanks for the update!

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 30
Really!!!!!

Are you fricking kidding.  This is rebadged 4PR/8PR,  Its nicely packaged teflon coated 5 or 6 9's copper which is good stuff but not at $700 starting point.   DHC and Norne have OCC Silver for this price or less in real geometries that make a difference.  Go look at their pages and compare some real technology and a much fairer price.  I have 7 9"s occ copper litz headphone cable using
Neotechs insane 1000 strand litz  with pure cotton insulators in Zenwaves custom geometry using seriously good Eidolic rhodium plated berylium copper.  What are the connectors on this stuff!

Hell you could buy 8 pr from kimber get some eidolic connectors and get the same or better sound for about a third of that price or go buy some real headphone or take a look at any of the three companies I mentioned.  There also a number of other custom builders on line that can give you an equivalent or better sounding cable for less.   

What have you previously used to compare this wire with.    Did you actually buy this cable or is something else afoot here?

?????????????????????????????

jgwtriode

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 30
  Really!!!!!

Are you fricking kidding.  This is rebadged 4PR/8PR,  Its nicely packaged teflon coated 5 or 6 9's copper which is good stuff but not at $700 starting point.   DHC and Norne have OCC Silver for this price or less in real geometries that make a difference.  Go look at their pages and compare some real technology and a much fairer price.  I have 7 9"s occ copper litz headphone cable using
Neotechs insane 1000 strand litz  with pure cotton insulators in Zenwaves custom geometry using seriously good Eidolic rhodium plated berylium copper.  What are the connectors on this stuff!

Hell you could buy 8 pr from kimber get some eidolic connectors and get the same or better sound for about a third of that price or go buy some real headphone or take a look at any of the three companies I mentioned.  There also a number of other custom builders on line that can give you an equivalent or better sounding cable for less.   

What have you previously used to compare this wire with.    Did you actually buy this cable or is something else afoot here?

?????????????????????????????

jgwtriode

Hi,
    how do you know this is 4PR/8PR rebadged? Have you actually heard the cable? Do you work for DHC and Norne? You said you worked for Kimber Cable for a few years in technical support - is something else afoot here?

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 30
I used to work for Kimber Kable a number of years ago.  Just look at the cable in the video on you tube.  Hell they don't even try to hide the fact that it is 8pr. I know Nate in the you tube video.  8pr split to two 4 PR runs.  Their big fuss is the split.  Which really is ludicrous.  I would rather just do seperate runs as I did in the custom zenwave cable for my Paradox Slants.  No its just that Norne and DNC have some really good well designed cables if your willing to spend the kind of money Kimber charges.  $700.00 plus.  The insanity is you can buy a single 6ft run of basic terminated 8pr for somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 100 to $125.  They make a fuss but go to their site.  This may be silver plated ofc copper, based on some Sony upper end headphone collaboration stuff I saw.  but so what.  So bump the price a bit more. But they aren't suggesting it is.  The TC is a varistrand ofc 5 or 6 9's copper in teflon. I am willing to bet the standard connectors are just nickel. Most likely extra for rhodium plated copper etc.  I ran 4 TC on a mobile sound system 30 years ago in college. Its good basic cable but nothing particularly spectacular.  Okay lets be absolutely correct just priced a 6ft run of 8tc from Audio Advisor.  Bare Wire.  160.00 dollars  Just purchase two runs of 4tc. $168.00 probably could even get that in clear and black wire like what is shown.  Anyway get std connectors from Switchcraft for about $20.00 or go nuts like me and get Eidolics.  Rhodium plated Berylium Copper.  I spent about
$75.00 with some discount for mini xlr's and 1/4" plug.   So spend $700 for that from Kimber with some nice wood and labeling or make it.  Or spend about $ 300 getting Norne or a bit more for DNC; and have them build you an OCC copper cable. They both do very nice work and get very good reviews and looking at their metalurgy, insulation and geometry.  You no doubt get substantially more for your money.  For perspective I got Dave Cahoon at Zenwave to build me my headphone cable using two 5 ft runs of 4 strand braided wire.  Those runs are each 20awg 7 9's OCC copper in a 1000 wire strands in each 20 gauge strand.  It is an 80% cotton blend with some polyester to seal it.  I spent $300 approximately and I sent Dave the connectors.  I believe it is better than the Norne and more than likey the lesser expensive DNC stuff.  DNC has some crazy stuff...it may not be that good.  But it works amazingly well over the basic ofc cable that was on my first set ofhardwired Paradox Slants.  And that is taking into acount another connection layer and solder points with the mini XLR equipment jacks.   My point is simply this is overprice hype.  Your spending $700 plus for a product that while good is no where near that kind of a price...fancy or not it isn't any better than a $ 300 dollar cable you can buy or build.  If you want to throw a bit in the equation for
cosmetics thats cool.  But not $350 for some matching wood and CNC milled logos.  Kimber does nice work and their quality control is excellent.  My issue is the level of technology and performance they offer for your hard earned dollar.   Nuff said.

Done and I suspect the guy who started this thread has less than pure motives...I could be wrong.  But in checking out his statements review of HD650 before and after the cable and some of his refrences...lets just say I found glaring inconsistency and a real lack of clearly explaining why the cable was really better.  And then he apparently tried to sell it at only a very slight reduction.
That is his 650's and the cable for $1300 plus.

I leave to you.
Get a really good cable at reasonable price and improve your headphone performance.

Happy Listening,
jgwtriode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back