Kimber Hero Help Needed
Jul 23, 2001 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hi.

I am interested in some descriptions of Kimber Heros, especially from anyone who has used them in a Grado setting (amp/phones, both, either, etc.)

I hear they are great, but what I am mostly concerned with is:

soundstaging, the more realistic the better
non-thin sound
neutrality
basically realistic sound on a very revealing system (RA-1/RS-1s)

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2001 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 9
I am also interested in finding out more about the Kimber Hero interconnects.

By the way, Matt, do you know if they're any more shielded than KCAG or PBJ? I know they have that jacket around them, but is there any shielding in there of any sort other than the EMI cancelling braiding pattern Kimber uses?

Jul 23, 2001 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 9
...like there is some difference, as the specs seem different. It has the "Dual Teflon" insulation and the "Gyro Quadratic" field geometry (does that have something to do with how the wires are laid out amongst each other?

- Matt

Jul 24, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
...like there is some difference, as the specs seem different. It has the "Dual Teflon" insulation and the "Gyro Quadratic" field geometry (does that have something to do with how the wires are laid out amongst each other?

- Matt

Hi Guys,

KCAGs, Silver Streaks and PBJs utilises 3 separate wires and braided, Kimber style. Due to its braided construction, these ICs affords some levels of EMI/RFI cancellation properties,
BUT technically speaking, they are not shielded ICs, in the traditional sense.

Hero, unlike those ICs above, utilises 4 separate wires and is also braided but in in KK's blurb, "Gyro Quadratic" structure. No silver wires are involved and technically, the Hero is also not a sheilded IC, in traditional sense.

Still, the Hero apparently does exhibit marginally (relative) better levels of EMI/RFI cancellation properties but as with the other ICs listed above, their effectiveness at rejecting or supressing EMI/RFI would be system & electrical environment dependent, IMHO.

Matt, for your RA-1/RS-1s, without breaking the bank, the Silver Streak IC would best meet your performance criterias ... assuming EMI/RFI is not a major prevaling issue. In terms of transparency, sheer dynamics, with relatively stronger LF response, the SS is discernibly superior to the Hero.

So, the final decision is yours of course and I guess you will have to take into account if your budget can extend to the SS ics. Recommend you audition both Hero and SS and subjectively decide if SS is worth the extra, in the context of your system.

With most if not all Kimber Kables, they do require quite extended periods of burning-in to sound their optimal best ... just take note that they do not normally sound "nice/right" straight out of their packaging. In my system for example, it roughly took about 200+ hours for my SS to run-in !! Some says it may take even longer than that !!

If you still insist on a properly sheilded cable, I would suggest you check out the Wireworld range of ICs. The Polaris ICs for example is worth a listen.

Cheers,
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 9
You clearly have experience with these cables!

I have relatively little experience. I guess going to hi-fi dealers and auditioning cables is not neccessarily the best choice, as, like you said, these cables take many hours to burn in.

I can reasonably say that I was initially looking for a cable that would tame brightness, which is why I got the Tara Prism 11s. They were sweet(er), more lush and certainly helped with the brightness of various digital sources, however, they positively decimated the soundstaging. They're great cables, but that soundstaging part is just unacceptable for me.

I hear the Heros are warmer/less bright/whatever AND they have great soundstaging. Personally, I don't really need to hear ultra-accurate, in-yo-face renderings of the very tippy-top ends of sharp snare drum cracks or ultra-forward cymbals. What matters to me first and foremost is "can I listen to this at a moderately high level for more than five minutes?" I don't like walking away from a listening session with ringing ears and a slight loss in detail would be a worthy trade.

Can the Heros offer this?

Jul 25, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

You clearly have experience with these cables!

I have relatively little experience. I guess going to hi-fi dealers and auditioning cables is not neccessarily the best choice, as, like you said, these cables take many hours to burn in.

I can reasonably say that I was initially looking for a cable that would tame brightness, which is why I got the Tara Prism 11s. They were sweet(er), more lush and certainly helped with the brightness of various digital sources, however, they positively decimated the soundstaging. They're great cables, but that soundstaging part is just unacceptable for me.

I hear the Heros are warmer/less bright/whatever AND they have great soundstaging. Personally, I don't really need to hear ultra-accurate, in-yo-face renderings of the very tippy-top ends of sharp snare drum cracks or ultra-forward cymbals. What matters to me first and foremost is "can I listen to this at a moderately high level for more than five minutes?" I don't like walking away from a listening session with ringing ears and a slight loss in detail would be a worthy trade.

Can the Heros offer this?

Hi Matt,

In short, yes. The Heros, IMHO, is quite an improvement (sonic-wise) over the Taralabs Prism II and certainly does not exhibit in-yo-face sort of presentation. From own experiences, the Heros are relatively "fuller", and as a comparison, the Hero is also relatively less forward, when compared to the Kimber PBJ for example. My comments are purely subjective of course as do realise ICs are system dependent.

Alternatives : For a relatively neutral ICs, the Polaris from WireWorld is a good all-rounder option. For a smoother tonal balance, the AudioQuest Opal x3 ICs is a nice one to consider too. Decent soundstaging capabilities exists with all these ICs but the level of soundstaging (degree of depth, height and width) will most likely vary from one system to another.

Hope I have been of some help but to be frank, its best you try them out if you can arrange it.

Cheers, Darryl.

Jul 25, 2001 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 9
...try them out. You are right. That is why these forums are kinda only half the story (though they are a tremendous, tremendous help...think of all the crap we'd go through if it weren't for here! All Hail the Internet!)

- Matt

Jul 27, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

...try them out. You are right. That is why these forums are kinda only half the story (though they are a tremendous, tremendous help...think of all the crap we'd go through if it weren't for here! All Hail the Internet!)

- Matt

Hey Matt,

You may possibly have already read this review on the Hero ... but if not, you can access it here;

http://www.soundstage.com/upton07.htm

Cheers,
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back