Killing My Wallet (Part 0.1): e3c
Jul 16, 2004 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, I've written a 2 page long impression on the e3c and accidently pushed the back button. I'm PISSED!

Grrrr...

So the main deal's that I've bought the e3c's for $210. Just FYI that you might have thought when reading the title, "What? e3c's couldn't kill your wallet! It's for $120 at Todd's!" I repeat, I BOUGHT IT FOR $210 AND I'M DAMN PISSED. Nice way to spend (or DUMP) the first wage paid in my life that hadn't ended up in my mother's hands.

I always had a bad impression of Shure canalphones due to the people here who hate them. I bought them to compare them with the Ety ER4S's + amp I'm preparing to buy, to see if I like PRaT and musicality of the Shures or the clarity and more Stax audiophile likeness of the Ety's. I was going to sell the e3c's afterwards, but it seems that I'll have to lose it for more than half of the price, unless I can "con" someone in Hong Kong who doesn't know the Shures are much cheaper overseas to buy it for $190 (which I have hope I can, they are sold for $255 here usually, I actually thought I bought them cheap! So if I say they're brand new, which they are, I guess $190 is reasonable for them. But head-fi'er's ALWAYS know better, sans moi)

And FYI, the Shure's shure suck for rock. The veil, oh the veil! I wish it had the forward sound of the Grado 225's which I adore, and its definition of the distorted guitars as well. (Pullezzze, its the vocals on the Shures that sound forward, rock on Shures are more veiled than forward, only the PRaT saves them from being thrown to the bin) No one electric guitar sounds right. DAMN. Luckly I listen to Instrumental Jazz, Bop, Rap and Electronica (for self education) and they sound decent on the Shures. Especially rap, I have yet to hear a headphone where I can clearly hear every single word that Nas or EPMD's rapping, and especially Dr. Octagon, coz he's damn fast. Anyways, I still think that the Ety's ARE SUPPOSED to be BETTER at vocals, so this is BAD NEWS for me, since no-one's stopping me from getting the ETy's.

So, I'll do head-fi and you all a favour, I'll buy both the Ety's and Sony EX71, as well as borrowing the e5c to compare. Wish me luck!

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 34
I guess no one's interested in a poor man's journey in getting poorer.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 34
I bought them in a local store in Hong Kong coz I was anxious to upgrade. No return policy, and the price is $210, where here it's $120

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 34
Commando, I guess it depends on what you listen. For Jazz, I'm 100% sure it will beat most phones in the price range of under $90 (except full sized and Ety's). But I don't think its worth $210. Way overpriced for my case.

I guess you like rock? I've discovered that the Shures suck for rock. And dance too. But Bop shines on the Shures, in the drums esp. I see you like vocals? I found Diana Krall's Love Scenes acceptable and even better than the Grado 225s, and rap to be very articulate. If you say that the CD3000 wins the Shures hands down, that I'll agree, but as for the EX71, I guess I could only....
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
Commando, I guess it depends on what you listen. For Jazz, I'm 100% sure it beats most phones in the same price (except full sized and Ety's).

I guess you like rock? I've discovered that the Shures suck for rock.

Veil is veil, no matter what you listen too. I don't really listen to rock. Norah Jones, Sarah McLaclan, ambient dance (BT), and trance mainly.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 34
Are the EX-71s really better than the $120 e3c? I find the EX-71 a bit shrill and artificial, and prefer the cheap-ass Senn MX500.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
Are the EX-71s really better than the $120 e3c? I find the EX-71 a bit shrill and artificial, and prefer the cheap-ass Senn MX500.

Everyone has a different opinion. Mine is yes, they're better. Less veil, more bass (maybe a little too much but it's fine), nice highs, and clear.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 34
Commando, sorry, but I edited my post. Care to look again and see if they'res anything that interests you?

And yeah, $100 is max for me. $210 is a total rip off, though EVERY shop in HK sells it higher (I've checked). They even sell the ER4P for $300! I guess I should have checked hed-fi first, and buy it thru eBay or Todds

EDIT: Yeah, the veil. I guess it's because the midrange stands far too out. But to me EQ wouln'd do magic. I KNOW that the resolution in some instruments are just totally unacceptably bad. But for acoustic instruments, I find them superior. BTW, my Diana krall recording as minimal accompanyment, so I guess the veil wouldn't effect anything much as the midrange bump would overpower the veil in the rest of the spectrum.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 34
I'm buying both the Ety ER4s and the EX71.

What's a reasonable price for the EX71 ?

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 34
$50 min at froogle and no search results at eBay. Can it get lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back