Kierland- Scottsdale Mini Meet- June27th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gurus

1000+ Head-Fier
Looks like everyone had a great time. Balderon, the official photographer will post the pics. Thanks for bring the tube tester and for providing much needed info on the Eddie Current BA and it's tubes.

Guys, please post your impressions here.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 7
I had an enjoyable time checking out the variety of gear. For me, one of the highlights was auditioning the HE1000. The sound did not disappoint. I agree with some who believe thicker ear pads would be an improvement of the design.

A huge thanks to @gurus for his hospitality and organizing this meet.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 7
wow, looks like it was sooo awesome :frowning2:.  You had the K712's, too, which I have wanted to try.  I told my wife that when there's the next one, there better be an apocolypse.  She said, "well, what if the car breaks down again and I have the kids?!"  I said, "call a tow truck.  Don't call ME!!"  She understood..... I think.

Anyways, lets continue to grow this AZ community, guys.  

When's the next one?  

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys for such a great meet! It was my first one and I had a great time. I met a lot of nice people, heard a lot of good stories, learned a bunch about audio and listened to a bunch of great headphones.

Highlights:

Best sounding headphone: The HE-1000's with Funch's BA. I had listened to a few songs before it struck me. I was listening to the intro to The Eagles "Already Gone" when I noticed it. The HE-1000's lack absolutely nothing! The soundstage was incredible. I could picture the entire band in front of me. Everyone in position. The bass was perfect. Lots of impact but didn't ever become obnoxious. Just enough to make the headphones fun without ever being a hindrance. The mids were slightly attenuated to add just a little warmth. The highs were slightly subdued, but somehow managed to still expose all the details. Nothing stands out, which is kinda the beauty of these headphones. They aren't the best at anything, but they are nearly the best at everything. Then upon removing the headphones you see a stainless steel, raw leather beauty. It's truly an amazing headphone. But... like Gurus says "It's the best because I haven't heard anything better yet." :p

Best sounding amp: Guru's custom Pete Millett amp. When I first heard the HD800's I thought "These are nice. Not quite my ideal sound, but I definitely couldn't fault anybody for picking these up." Then I heard them on Gurus amp and was blown away. They didn't even sound like the same headphone. Everything that I didn't like was changed and they sounded amazing. Plus it's just a pretty amp. It's even better in person than the pictures can portray.

Best headphones for the money: Muniarc's HE-560's. They sounded very similar to the HE-1000's. Slightly smaller soundstage and slightly less bass, but they're 90% of the way to the HE-1000s. They are pretty amazing headphones.

Surprise of the day: How good the Denon D7000's sounded! I will no longer scoff at closed headphones.

Actual surprise of the day: How nice the Head-Fi community is! Gurus, Funch, Balderon, Muniarc, CSkippy, J123SS, everyone is super nice, helpful, and willing to share knowledge and gear. Thanks for such a great meet!

Also, special thanks to Gurus for hosting the meet!

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Can not believe I missed this ;( 

Man... I'm heart broken 

I'm happy you guys had fun tho :) 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 7
It was great to meet you guys! I came away a bit more knowledgeable after listening to all the equipment that was there.

After reading on the Head- fi and elsewhere,  my direction and priority to get new equipment was as follows:

• HE1000
  • MZotl to drive the HE1000

After the meet and listening to most of the components it changed significantly to
  • HD800 (should have one soon)
  • Eddie Current BA . Maybe, hopefully by the end of the year- if I can find one for a decent price.

The Eddie Current had mids that were so beguiling and seductive. WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back