Kids headphones
Mar 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

landofshane

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Time for a question at the other end of the spectrum.

I have a boy whos almost 3 who I want to get some headphones for for an upcoming plane trip.

Obviously my main concern is that most phones will go far too loud for his little ears, but I'm nervous the volume limited ones won't be loud enough on a plane.

Does anyone have any recomendations on a good option (I'm based in the UK if that makes a difference) or an easy way to volume limit a decent pair of kids cans?

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 11
http://www.purosound.com/?gclid=CJ2z3PutocQCFQePaQodkDAAMw

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 11
Bikerboy94, that is a fantastic recommendation! They isolate noise, limit volume, and are supposed to sound good. Fantastic!
However, they are wireless. This means they'll have to be kept charged up. They do have 18 hours of battery life, which is a lot! But could it still be an issue?

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 11
No wire to get tangled in. Maybe a portable  battery to charge while in use.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Those look great, but US only for shipping (I'm in the UK) and wireless/charging will be a problem as we are on a flight from UK to New Zealand (30-35 hours flying) so probaby best with something wired.

But I will add those the the future gift idea list for him!

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 11
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTCMJMQ/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_0062_459ea26f?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0ENED6BHNKS5BJNZKWTZ&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2055170062

If you decide on the others at some point. I could get them and ship to you. I would be happy to help out a new I should say very new LOL head fier. I also like the fact your worried about hearing loss its a big problem.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Mar 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks Bikerboy! We went for the Jlabs ones as while the kidzjams looked better they are designed for 4+ and our little guy is 2 1/2 and tiny!

Really appreciate the advice (and the offer to help ship the other ones). Never too young to start them on the right path of appreciating good music and looking after their hearing.

He's a young headfier in the making all right, I often find him standing there changing songs on our squeezebox setup until he gets to a song he likes :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 11
The Jlabs set arrived last week and I'm really impressed. I know that the headphones I had growing up sounded more like a bag of gravel than anything else... whereas these are great! He absolutely loves them.

Booked out flights tonight, 30hours travel so they'll get a good workout and will hopefully give us some peace :)

Thanks again.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Glad to hear it. Have a safe trip.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 11
I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
I thought I'd throw a few more cents into the discussion.

The recommendation is that noise canceling headphones are best (ones that cover the entire ear) as it stops outside noise creeping in. Bud type that inserts into the ear is not recommended for kids.
Anything over 80dB for extended periods is dangerous, go for a 60/60 rule - 60% of the volume for 60 minutes and then a 60-minute rest.
Studies (US) have shown 20% of children 12-19 have a permanent hearing loss.
Another idea is to reduce the sound limits on the kids iPods/iPads etc so if they do turn them up it's not too loud.
People are very casual about hearing loss, but once your hearing is damaged, it's damaged for life.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Both my kids have Skull Candy headphones like these https://smarttoyskids.com/best-wireless-headphones-for-kids/ We didn't pay that price though!

They have a lifetime warranty and because they fit over the ear, they are really good on flights to help block the engine drone. They also have a thick fabric covered cord that is almost unbreakable.

Two OS trips and multiple car trips and they are still going strong.

On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back