Kids and Audio Equipment...Bad Mix?
Dec 1, 2005 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Oski

1000+ Head-Fier
This actually came up in another thread, but I'd be interested in seeing the experiences of others around here.

So far my girlfriend finds all this audio stuff pretty amusing...but she's already said for me to enjoy it while I can. Somehow she envisions our kids getting crushed by falling speakers or them getting tangled in the cables and getting electrocuted. Meanwhile I'm thinking that I'll have to shelve my fragile turntable and tube equipment for years until they get older, lest they become the unwitting broken play things for little toddlers.

For all the parents out there, has any harm come of your kids as a result of stereo equipment or vice versa?

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 26
I'm not a parent, but I do have a 5-year-old nephew who knows to take extra care of my stuff. =]

He's the coolest kid.

Unless he gets around his cousins, then that's the end of that because once they're wild, they're wiiilllddd (along with ten dollars in my room, game controllers, and games, etc.)

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 26
I live in fear for the day my kid figures out that he can climb on my chair and then climb on my desk and then destroy my gear. or even worse, grows tall enough to just reach over and tear down the Tower of Power.

Granted, if my kid ever gets to the back of my desk somehow and chews on Monster Power he might get in trouble. And with your exposed tubed Earmax, he might play "crush the glass" which wouldn't be healthy. But otherwise he's the 10 ton gorilla in the room, not the stereo.

Like my dog. Before the kid came around, they wanted me to get rid of the dog. But proper putting-in-place actions now has my dog just wanting to lick my kid's face, and run away when my boy wants to play pull-the-tail.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 26
"she's already said for me to enjoy it while I can."

Enjoy her while you can. If your girlfriend is already laying down the law it doesn't bode well for the future. You'll need the Neuticles referenced in Jahns thread if you continue down that road.

Mitch

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 26
My little Nephew (Evan) is worse then most of us when it comes to headphones. I am not sure when it started or how but I think at first he wanted to be like me in some ways then just caught the audio Bug. His mother (my loving sister in-law) will not let him go on headfi at their home, she says he gets enough Headphones on Sunday when he comes over to my house.
Every Sunday My family gets together at my house (my Grandma, brothers and sister with all their dogs,cats, kids, and amazing personalities) and My nephew always starts it off the same way every week....

He opens my door (which is usually locked but he picks it and opens it) and quietly walks over to my audio rack where he proceeds to turn on the Raptor and the Meridian and then puts his favorite cd in and sits in my listening chair and does not say a word or move until I wake up. I usually have All my Grados on the top shelf above my desk to keep my neighbors husky away from them just in case she runs in my house again. when I wake up I walk over to him and say hi then proceed to turn My Dodd mono speaker amps on to get them warmed up he always tells me rite then and there "this should be a headphone only day Beely." I look and smile.

Sometimes he will wake me up and ask me to bring down a pair of the Grados onc in awhile. One time I had my friend sleeping over in my bed and my nephew went to wake me up but instead woke her up (I was in the other room at the time)....omg he freaked out! went upstairs yelling "BeelyBeely theres a girl in your bed........!!!!!).

on Sunday he will try out 4-5 sets of different headphones, tube roll the Raptor (He has me do it cause he is afraid of the heat) at least 3 times, Go on ipodstudio photo section or headfi and look at the pics of amps and everything...then he asks 50 million questions about each one he see's.

The kid can tell you what Sound stage is, what imaging is, he can tell you every tiny micro difference between any of the Grado line (he doesn't like Senn's there to big for his head.), knows every amp every amp maker has out and its cost and features, knows a few of the members by the avart's, and probable could write a great review once he learns alittle more about writing.

If anyone ever meets him (his Mother won't let me bring him to a meet..its a rule) just DO NOT BRING UP RUDISTOR!!!!!
if you say anything Rudistor and he hears it he will run around the room screaming "RUDYPOO!!!!!" for 20 mins strait. (he got that from a children's show I think).

I gave him Grado sr-60's and he is borrowing my brothers 225's now. He is saving up for a amp and does not want me to help him pay for it. He doesn't like the ps-1,ms-2,or the 325's cause there to heavy for him, or so he says. loves to look inside my xr-2 for some reason and he wants me to teach him vinyl.
I told him I will teach him how to clean the Vinyl on the 16.5 when he comes over for Christmas eve (he will be my slave then..hahaha j/k).

I asked him what he wants for Christmas and he said he wants me to bring him to Rolling stone music store up north to pick up some cd's, I was in tears after he said that really...the kid has a love for music!

sorry for going on about him but I think its cute he is into it, I could go on and on about him and headphones.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 26
I'm not a parent yet :knocks on wood:, but i do have one little brother (8 yrs old) and 5 female cousins (2-8 years old) and have not had one problem with any piece of audio or computer equipment i have lying around, and i do have alot of it lying around. I quess its just the respect that a child's parent teaches.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 26
Billy, how old is your nephew?

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 26
I'd be most concerned about speakers as a kid may think the woofer and tweete domes are meant to be push inward and god knows what else.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
"she's already said for me to enjoy it while I can."

Enjoy her while you can. If your girlfriend is already laying down the law it doesn't bode well for the future. You'll need the Neuticles referenced in Jahns thread if you continue down that road.

LoL, she's actually really cool and laid back about most anything. This is not a hard and fast rule, but she was just concerned about the kids. She understands how guys like their toys and thinks my audio affliction is funny and time and money better spent than other vices. But I just wanted at least some anecdotal experiences to see if it's indeed something I should worry about.

Obviously my speakers are rather precarious right now as each speaker is on 3 Nordost Pulsar Points. I have friends that have accidentally knocked them over (including her once when she was drunk). The speakers will just have to be put on the floor instead (with probably dabs of Blu Tak to dampen vibration and secure the speakers better).

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 26
I have a little niece (just under 2 years) who is really good about being careful/not playing with the audio stuff in/around my room (I have speakers, a subwoofer, and the headphone stuff in there). I was expecting quite the opposite, but she barely pays any attention to any of it. So maybe it's her parents teaching her to respect other's things? Whatever it is, she is really well-behaved about people's belongings.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I have friends that have accidentally knocked them over (including her once when she was drunk).

Note to the Maunshter - edit this prior to viewage by You-Know-Who!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski

For all the parents out there, has any harm come of your kids as a result of stereo equipment or vice versa?

Not yet... knock on wood. But I have everything locked down, out of reach and bolted to the wall studs. Audio racks are a SERIOUS threat, when they start crawling and climbing onto stuff... To put it into perspective, imagine a coke machine or grand piano falling on you.
eek.gif
eek.gif
All my power strips are locked behind kid-proof "locks".

Teach them to be gentile and carefull with things. My 3 Y/O boy is the most ruthless thug I know... clumsey, curious, and strong enough to break anything in the house. But he knows to handle certain things with care.

My baby girls favorite chew toy is a long segment of Grado cord or some canare star quad. Which I dont mind her chewing on, since shes only gumming it. Once her teeth come in, its time for something safer. FYI... she completely prefers chewing the MS2 cable over the HD580 cable... she finds the senn cords dull and lifeless
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

**edit**
I purposely leave a dud PA speaker, and some functional MDR-V150 cans laying around his playroom and let him go to town on those. I dont care if he breaks any of that. Those annoying AOL CDs.... Leave a bunch of those scattered around the playroom let them get their grubby fingerprints on those.

Garrett

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
My little Nephew (Evan) is worse then most of us when it comes to headphones. I am not sure when it started or how but I think at first he wanted to be like me in some ways then just caught the audio Bug. His mother (my loving sister in-law) will not let him go on headfi at their home, she says he gets enough Headphones on Sunday when he comes over to my house.
Every Sunday My family gets together at my house (my Grandma, brothers and sister with all their dogs,cats, kids, and amazing personalities) and My nephew always starts it off the same way every week....

He opens my door (which is usually locked but he picks it and opens it) and quietly walks over to my audio rack where he proceeds to turn on the Raptor and the Meridian and then puts his favorite cd in and sits in my listening chair and does not say a word or move until I wake up. I usually have All my Grados on the top shelf above my desk to keep my neighbors husky away from them just in case she runs in my house again. when I wake up I walk over to him and say hi then proceed to turn My Dodd mono speaker amps on to get them warmed up he always tells me rite then and there "this should be a headphone only day Beely." I look and smile.

Sometimes he will wake me up and ask me to bring down a pair of the Grados onc in awhile. One time I had my friend sleeping over in my bed and my nephew went to wake me up but instead woke her up (I was in the other room at the time)....omg he freaked out! went upstairs yelling "BeelyBeely theres a girl in your bed........!!!!!).

on Sunday he will try out 4-5 sets of different headphones, tube roll the Raptor (He has me do it cause he is afraid of the heat) at least 3 times, Go on ipodstudio photo section or headfi and look at the pics of amps and everything...then he asks 50 million questions about each one he see's.

The kid can tell you what Sound stage is, what imaging is, he can tell you every tiny micro difference between any of the Grado line (he doesn't like Senn's there to big for his head.), knows every amp every amp maker has out and its cost and features, knows a few of the members by the avart's, and probable could write a great review once he learns alittle more about writing.

If anyone ever meets him (his Mother won't let me bring him to a meet..its a rule) just DO NOT BRING UP RUDISTOR!!!!!
if you say anything Rudistor and he hears it he will run around the room screaming "RUDYPOO!!!!!" for 20 mins strait. (he got that from a children's show I think).

I gave him Grado sr-60's and he is borrowing my brothers 225's now. He is saving up for a amp and does not want me to help him pay for it. He doesn't like the ps-1,ms-2,or the 325's cause there to heavy for him, or so he says. loves to look inside my xr-2 for some reason and he wants me to teach him vinyl.
I told him I will teach him how to clean the Vinyl on the 16.5 when he comes over for Christmas eve (he will be my slave then..hahaha j/k).

I asked him what he wants for Christmas and he said he wants me to bring him to Rolling stone music store up north to pick up some cd's, I was in tears after he said that really...the kid has a love for music!

sorry for going on about him but I think its cute he is into it, I could go on and on about him and headphones.

LOL that's great, especially the part with Rudistor and the girl friend in your bed made me laugh! How old is he actually?

Probably a soon-to-be HeadFier, maybe even worse than Jahn when it comes to audiophilia nervosa
wink.gif

Marcus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back