KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #766 of 834
I think you should supply an amp what it is expecting. Both the KGSShv and my Carbon have only balanced inputs. Balanced inputs operate at a significantly different ohms expectation to SE, expect a differential signal, and are expecting a signal that's "hotter" than what comes in SE. A passive RCA jack to Balanced jack is what I used to use when I owned the KGSShv. This sends only a signal and ground not a differential signal. It will work, meaning you get sound from it, but it's not optimal to what the amp is expecting. If you can't run natural balanced, I now think you need to run at least a Jensen Transformer or an active system that will give the balanced input more what it is looking for, or save the cost for a balanced dac.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #767 of 834
KG amps other than the all triode are dial mono. The only thing that happens when you send a single ended signal to it is that as you said it's not as hot, but all these amps have enough power to make you deaf without approaching their limits even with out the drive from a balanced source.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #768 of 834
Thanks. I was only posting personal listening impressions and some questions I had about the difference between SE and balanced inputs. I'm glad we have people here with better knowledge than I have about that. I used balanced gear in broadcasting 30 years ago, but it was hardwired by our engineer in many cases. I didn't mention the other advantage of balanced which is improved signal noise rejection because we are unlikely to come across this in the short runs we use with headphone amps. I'm curious how the Carbon stacks against the BHSE. Also, as I mentioned above I have an affinity for the SR-007 MK2 with latest drivers as well. I am hoping to port mod it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #769 of 834
No they are not dual mono. They are fully balanced differential amplifiers with significant common mode rejection. Balanced output with both single ended and balanced input. Only difference is gain.

The gsx is dual mono. The new gsx is supersymmetry balanced complementary differential.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #770 of 834
yes, the 009s with the Carbon is really incredible, and I add, I got a slight hint of heat and an even more solid bass by changing the Carbon fuse.

Hi Biscuit, what is that thing about the fuse? Is it better change it?

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #773 of 834
Ok, I see it with a lot of values, what are the specifications volt ampere?

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #775 of 834
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #777 of 834
Will the 3A work the same? Or do the .15 amps make a difference?
Thanks!

surely, the problem is not to put it higher, like 4A, in this case you would not have the right protection.
Important that there is the letter T, indicates a slow fuse.
Be careful, however, that an undersized fuse can also burn because it can not withstand the initial current cue, and if your fuse costs 100 euros it is not nice.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #779 of 834
I would talk with the amp builder about what is or isn't safe.

local power conditions can effect which fuse needs to be spec'ed. My BHSE needed an adjustment.

A cheap standard fuse from a large manufacturer that can be relied on to operate within the indicated spec is always a safe choice. Spending a crap ton on one from a tiny snake oil company concerns me.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #780 of 834
Not to get too engineering nerd on you guys, but, let me point out that:

1) the KGSSHV Carbon, like all of Kevin Gilmore's recent designs, is fully balanced differential, which is a circuit that has inherently good power supply rejection.
2) also, all the power supplies are regulated, which means it has very good to excellent rejection of AC power line issues.
3) with an all differential design, the power draw is pretty much constant, so the AC line is supplying a steady current draw with practically no variation - with essentially no current variation, there is nothing in the fuse that should change, hence there shouldn't be anything that could get into the power supply.
4) the power fuse is on the AC side of the power supply, so any sonic issues it could possibly cause would have to get through both the regulated power supply and the good power supply rejection of the amp circuit itself.

All of which is to say, the likelihood that the sound of a fuse is detectable is really, really, really low. Personally I think that placebo effect is more likely, but that's just IMHO. Of course, everyone is free to spend their money any way they like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back