KGSS Vs Blue Hawaii
Oct 18, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 18
Stock, then some super-expensive Mullards. It didn't make much of a difference either way. Could have been the unit itself, but it didn't seem to matter. I preferred the sound of the KGSS every time I heard the BH. I'm open to being wrong, and when I hear a BH that sounds better than the KGSS I'll be the first one to say so.

Oct 18, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
See, to me, this is more a drawback of the BH than a strength. When one's dealing with as mighty a set of cans as the O2, and a sufficiently high-end source, ideally you'd want an amp that just got out of the way and provided as much transparency as possible. Having to tuberoll the BH extensively to find the best possible sound would certainly add to the expense and inconvenience.

Well every amp out there has a character, though some less then others. This really isn't as much about transparency but a question of tonality. The amp is great with the stock tubes but it can be a lot better with better tubes. We are all searching for the best sound possible and too get near the top costs a lot of money so tubes are the way to go. With solid state you are stuck with the amp and have to tweak around it. There is also only so much you can tweak the sound by changing IC's and PC's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
There's another BH drawback for me, were I to own one it'd be sitting in my audio rack with very little clearance to the sides, an enclosed back, and only open at the front. While there'd be some air circulation there, there wouldn't be a great deal.

The Blue Hawaii is probably dumping some 100w in the form of heat so it pretty much has to be on top. Choose the rack for you’re gear, not the gear for you’re rack...
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 18
This is a great thread that could use some updating, if some of the original posters are still of a mind to do so. It certainly informs some of the debate I'm going through in my comparo of the KGSS and the SRM-007tII. Not to put the 7t in the same league as the BH, but some of the same considerations seem to be in play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back