KGSS or BH?
Oct 31, 2006 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

johnmatrix

100+ Head-Fier
As you can see in my sig, I own a pair of stax phones. I am finishing up an electronics course for my Chem PhD. I build a lot of circuits and do some soldering. The lab is quite painful(20+ hours/wk for 2 credit hr) and I thought I would use my hard won knowledge to build an electrostatic amp. I know both of these amps are overkill for my Sr-x mk III, but I will upgrade to one of the top tier phones over the summer.

I know neither amp is beginner friendly, but I feel up to the challenge. I would be looking to build the amp with good but not boutique components. I would hope to keep the cost to around $800 for the amp and I would use the hybrid supply for both. Below are a few questions I have.

1. Is the BH a much harder build and does it sound that much better?

2. What is the best way to create two different baises?

3. Is there a caseworking guide on the internet?

Thanks for your time.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 8
If you want to keep the circuit balanced (really the only way to justify these amps), and you want stepped attenuators (again, really neccesary for these amps), I dont think you can do the Blue Hawaii for under $800 with quality parts. As a result, i would look to the KGSS. I say this also as someone who is in the process of building a KGSS.
Caseworking can be hard if you dont have much experience or the right tools. For some $ you could probably even have the case made, providing you designed it.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
If you want to keep the circuit balanced (really the only way to justify these amps), and you want stepped attenuators (again, really neccesary for these amps), I dont think you can do the Blue Hawaii for under $800 with quality parts. As a result, i would look to the KGSS. I say this also as someone who is in the process of building a KGSS.
Caseworking can be hard if you dont have much experience or the right tools. For some $ you could probably even have the case made, providing you designed it.

I don't think I would worry with a stepped attenuator initially. After building the amp, I would be powering a Sr-X mk III. So good volume control can be added at a later date to save some $. BTW, how much is your KGSS amp build cost you so far?

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 8
I have boards shipping on Wednesday for BH, and am guessing about $1200 for good (not spectacular) parts. Simply hard to imagine doing this amp for much less (but can easily see spending far more), unless you go p2p, know where to get really cheap silicon, especially the 2sa1968, can wire your own tranny, and don't care much about aesthetics.

NO boards are for sale. Do not ask.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
I have boards shipping on Wednesday for BH, and am guessing about $1200 for good (not spectacular) parts. Simply hard to imagine doing this amp for much less (but can easily see spending far more), unless you go p2p, know where to get really cheap silicon, especially the 2sa1968, can wire your own tranny, and don't care much about aesthetics.

NO boards are for sale. Do not ask.

Well it looks like the KGSS for me if that is the cost.

Your last comment reminds me of a good question, what is the best way to get boards once I decide on a project?

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Oct 31, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Personally (although it took hours), i just laid out my kgss on stripboard. See below:
dscn0783kq5.jpg

That saved me some money, and possibly some time (as far as getting the boards made and shipped, probably would have taken less time to just download the files and send them to a board manufacturer).
I think im looking at maybe $550-600 with stepped attenuators. Could be a bit more, havent gone through and done the final, exact, pricing yet.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 8
It looks like I will definitely be getting boards made for that price. I thought it would cost a lot more. For the case, what about using wood? Or do the amps simply get too hot?

Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back