KGSS no.1
Oct 1, 2002 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
Hello kids,

The idea of building a Gilmore solid state electrostatic amp came to me out of nowhere about 3 months ago. I didn't have any electrostatic headphones, haven't ever heard them, and had no experience building an amp yet alone a high voltage one. I guess I was just really bored on the day I started ordering parts. Anyhow, here is a poor photo of the result:

007-404-kgss.jpg

I wouldn't call it `done` yet as I don't very much like the volume control knob I got today at radioshack. But it was cheap and it's better than just having the DACT sticking out all by itself. And I'm yet to start working on its looks, as this hunk of metal is just too plain and boring right now.

The amp and its power supplies really occupy the whole enclosure, everything fits but rather tightly. The whole thing dissipates around 30W so the case gets `mildly warm`.

kgss-and-arcam.jpg

I find it hard to talk about the sonic characteristics of the KGSS/SR-404 combo because I lack any basis for comparison with other electrostatics (WOHT really doesn't count). But since I'm probably expected to say something about it, I will
wink.gif

First, the staxes has nearly the best bass I've ever heard from a headphone. It is extremely well controlled, extends pretty damn well to somewhere down there, and is never resonating or boomy. The system has an uncanny ability to separate instruments within even the most complicated mixes while still keeping the result cohesive. I could hear a few overdubs that passed unnoticed through hundreds of listenings before. It was also the first time I could actually hear the environment of the recording studio which was a bit of an eye-opener.

Now onto less exciting things. The soundstage has depth but is not really wide (it started as something of a size of my head and now expands slowly). Also, compared to W2002 midrange seems to be a bit recessed but to a degree much-much smaller than HD600 (if that were the case, I would be simply horrified). Since W2002 is not the last word in the neutrality, I'm not sure what this means in the global scheme of things. I may get readjusted to like it just like I learned to like HD600 long time ago and then learned to like a very different sounding W2002.

Will see where it goes from here. I'm planning to start working on another Stax amp soon, so I hope to have something to compare it with within a month or so.

And of course kudos to Kevin for designing this amplifier in the first place and to my dad, an electrical engineer on hiatus, for helping me immensely with bringing it up.

Oct 1, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 22
Nice
biggrin.gif
But shame on you for not using the DACT's companion stainless steel knob
wink.gif
(It's worth it; if you're gonna shell out $140 or whatever for a DACT, you can spend another $16 for the best knob I've ever had the pleasure to use)

Did you etch the PCBs yourself or shell out to ExpressPCB for the ready-made ones?

Oct 1, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 22
Oh man, great amp zzz!!! It must sound great. I don't know about you but that hunk of metal looks like a beauty to me! thats really nice case.
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 22
zzz,
nice amp! What about posting some pics of the inside of the amp?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty curious about your amp, since I got excatly the same headphones as you.

eric343,
you should be able to get the DACT (CT2) cheaper than $140. I got a quote a couple of months ago, which was much lower.

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Nice
biggrin.gif
But shame on you for not using the DACT's companion stainless steel knob
wink.gif
(It's worth it; if you're gonna shell out $140 or whatever for a DACT, you can spend another $16 for the best knob I've ever had the pleasure to use)

Did you etch the PCBs yourself or shell out to ExpressPCB for the ready-made ones?

I got the DACT from diycable and they didn't have the knobs (aloha audio never responded to my email).

The PCBs are all home-brewed
wink.gif
. I should learn to use some of these CAD packages though...

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter
zzz,
nice amp! What about posting some pics of the inside of the amp?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty curious about your amp, since I got excatly the same headphones as you.

eric343,
you should be able to get the DACT (CT2) cheaper than $140. I got a quote a couple of months ago, which was much lower.

I thought about taking some inside pics but forgot to do that before closing the cover. And I'm hesitant to open it now because the cover is attached to the heatsinks with a lot of that thermapaste or whatever you call it, and it's kinda ugly and gooey and I don't have the paste around to reapply it before closing again. Maybe I will open it later.

And by the way, I'd love to know too where one can get DACTs for less than 140 USD
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
Hello kids,
I'm yet to start working on its looks, as this hunk of metal is just too plain and boring right now.

I don't know about that, from the picture it kind of has a mysterious look to it. I like it, that kind of thing makes people stop for a second, stare, and finally say "what the hell is that?" With those staxes, you could try and pass it off as a prototype mind control device or something.

Very well done. We can't see the insides yet, but so far it looks very professional.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 22
What, no pictures of the inside???

Now you need a pair of omega2's

Since you have built this one, next week i will finally
publish schematics on the solidstate/tube hybrid.

I've nicknamed the output section "blue hawaii"...

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 22
Does anybody have opinions on which of the KG amps is the best one for Stax headphones? And how do the KG amps sound compared to Stax amps?

I've been thinking about building one for my Stax SR-404 headphones. The goal would be to build something better than my Stax SRM-006t amp.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
What, no pictures of the inside???

Have to obey
wink.gif

kgss-inside-001.jpg

And another one...

kgss-inside-002.jpg

Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
Now you need a pair of omega2's