KGSS boards for sale? Alternative power cables?
Jul 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 19
I built my KGSS on perf board I found at Mouser. However, like others have said, it can be quite "entertaining"
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Mine went fairly smoothly, but I have over 28 years repairing TV's with HV circuits, and am quite comfortable working with HV. You have to be really careful with detail and component spacing, or arcing can occur (none with mine). I also opted to build the original power supply with a few small changes vs the PS for the Blue Hawaii. This simple regulated PS works perfectly. However, if you chose to build it using the schematic on Headwise, DO NOT use a transformer with those specs. An 800VAC CT transformer is way too big voltage wise. Also, the current 2SA1968 that's available today does not hold up on the -350V rail. PM me if you decide to brave it and have any questions. Also, the eXStata is a decent stat amp, but I don't believe boards are available anymore. It's easy to build if you could get boards. I'm also sure it would be much easier to build on perf vs a KGSS, IMHO. Good Luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 19
Forgot to mention that my KGSS cost me around $400 in parts to build, minus any casing.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 19
Okay, I'm going to ask about good procedure when working with HV. Keep one hand behind your back, operate on a non conductive surface to ensure you aren't grounded, use insulated tools, and make sure the transformers and such are in working order before attaching anything else so you dont fry your components?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back