KG Megatron vs KG Stax T2
May 20, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #61 of 80
Can I ask which tubes you tried on the T2 and which you prefer? I have a lot of (most for input) tubes now and more on its way. Interested in the findings of others.
Have you felt the T2 changed significantly with rolling? I was under the impression that the curves of the tubes will really determine the sound for the MT but the T2 pretty much forces any tube to behave in a linear manner due to the BJT topology/231 semiconductors

May 20, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #62 of 80
Happy that you like the Siemens gray. The Siemens CCa gray (I have a complete set now) are definetely a small but really noteworthy improvement over the standard 88 gray.

Soon there will be in total 11 sets of input tubes, waiting to be compared (I went a bit crazy, lol).

Which Reflektors did you get? Did you also find with these the stage/room being more huge in comparison?

May 20, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #63 of 80
Have you felt the T2 changed significantly with rolling? I was under the impression that the curves of the tubes will really determine the sound for the MT but the T2 pretty much forces any tube to behave in a linear manner due to the BJT topology/231 semiconductors
Yes, definetely, but similar to Megatron mostly at the input (respectively at the first two stages at Megatron).
I was not expecting this, but if e.g. comparing a Tungsram 88 with a Reflektor, Valvo 188 or Siemens CCa, to me these make a relatively big difference to the sound signature. Some tubes are IMO really better sounding than others, some are different to each others and more a qustion of personal preference and chain.
Funnily I prefer almost all my other tubes to the initially for the T2/MT review used JAN Philips 6922.

May 20, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #65 of 80
Yes, definetely, but similar to Megatron mostly at the input (respectively at the first two stages at Megatron).
I was not expecting this, but if e.g. comparing a Tungsram 88 with a Reflektor, Valvo 188 or Siemens CCa, to me these make a relatively big difference to the sound signature. Some tubes are IMO really better sounding than others, some are different to each others and more a qustion of personal preference and chain.
Funnily I prefer almost all my other tubes to the initially for the T2/MT review used JAN Philips 6922.
Okay good to know.
I suppose the difference with the MT is that the input tubes can technically be swapped for different tube types (e.g Ecc83 swapped for ecc80 or e181c) which have large fundamental changes to the way the amp functions - where with the T2 it’s more of a function of the same type, from different manufacturers/vintage, sound different.

May 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #66 of 80
I had the Mjolnir Carbon and sold it after acquiring the Eksonic T2. Obviously, I much preferred the T2. Audio memory being what it is, I do much prefer the Megatron XL over the Carbon, fwiw.
did you feel a lack of high frequencies?
they are somehow soft and insufficient in all tube amplifiers that I have heard

May 22, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #68 of 80
One thing I am absolutely loving about the Megatron XL is the bass. We often talk about planar bass but with the Megatron XL there is such a thing as electrostatic bass. The bass out of the SR009Blk on the Megatron XL is comparable in quantity to the best planars but with better speed, tone quality and detail. Simply outstanding.

May 22, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #69 of 80
One thing I am absolutely loving about the Megatron XL is the bass. We often talk about planar bass but with the Megatron XL there is such a thing as electrostatic bass. The bass out of the SR009Blk on the Megatron XL is comparable in quantity to the best planars but with better speed, tone quality and detail. Simply outstanding.

Agreed.
Do you have a 007 btw ?

May 22, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #71 of 80
The bass on Megatron - the hole "rich" tonality without thickening it - is something really special and pleasing. I fully agree, with Megatron (and T2) there is no desire for a planar or dynamic headphone for having a bass experience. According to Soren, also bass precision is noteworthy improved with the XL, which is maybe not best in class (T2, Carbon, Ki) at the standard (still very good with the right tubes).

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #72 of 80
The bass on Megatron - the hole "rich" tonality without thickening it - is something really special and pleasing. I fully agree, with Megatron (and T2) there is no desire for a planar or dynamic headphone for having a bass experience. According to Soren, also bass precision is noteworthy improved with the XL, which is maybe not best in class (T2, Carbon, Ki) at the standard (still very good with the right tubes).

I really fail to keep this in mind when sharing impressions with my stats. The T2 is a pretty big step us bass wise compared to most stat amps. It also has a weightier timbre and tone, which also contributes to the bass presentation. Each e-stat I've run through it improves in bass compared to everything else. Good to hear the Megatron has a similar effect. Would love to hear one, one day.

May 24, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #75 of 80
Help! I'd like to get a Megatron. I looked at classifieds for second-hand options, but no luck. I asked @soren_brix to build one, but it seems he lost interest in building one for me.

I'd prefer the XL version with 300B or other DHT output tubes, but am open to the EL34 version. I already have the tubes in my stash, so I'd even be interested in an amp without tubes.

Please let me know if you have an idea where / how to get a Megatron in Europe!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back