Keys, Alcohol, and $100
Jan 3, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
Bit of a story to tell (make sure you read the whole thing through because I present the facts in the order in which I learned them) . . .

My female friend and a bunch of other people (all eighteen) went to one girl's house to drink. I was at home and didn't find out about any of this until the next day. Most of them had too much, so my female friend was in the bathroom for a good amount of the time helping another friend. Occasionally, two peopled joined them. It is possible that someone went in there unnoticed. So when their hostess' sister (who started yelling and was reportedly quite frightening) and brother-in-law got home unexpectedly, everyone scattered and in the midst of the confusion, my female friend left her keys at the house - dorm keys, car key, house keys, everything. Several other items were left by various people, including a jacket and a burned CD.

When she realized she left her keys, she tried to contact this girl (she couldn't call because she didn't have a number) and no one wanted to talk to her because they were afraid
rolleyes.gif
. When word was finally passed along the grapevine, we found out that the brother-in-law claimed that $100 was stolen out of the bathroom and that he won't return the keys unless he sees $100. So I thought, Great, he's making up a story to get back at them. Is there a term for this? It seemed similar to blackmail, but definitely not the same thing. It smells like a felony. Anyway, I'm 100% sure that she did not take the money and that none of the people that I knew that were there would've taken it, so if any money was taken, it must've been someone I don't know. Everyone knew the story and nobody fessed up or anything. I suggested that we mention involving the police while we talk to the brother-in-law, hoping that that complication would break him down, but my female friend was afraid that everyone who was there would face the consequences of underage drinking. I disagreed - can they even do anything if it's after the fact? Plus, they don't even know who was there.

I obtained this girl's phone number and called several times - she never answered. It seems she pretty much didn't want anything to do with the situation even though she was the hostess and was probably the most wasted that night (we thought that this was a bit irresponsible; she hardly got into any trouble). Finally they told me where she lived so I could go over there in person to try to reason it out with them or at least communicate since I live fairly close to her. But the first two times I went over, there was nobody home. The third time, one of my friends to whom some of the forgotten items belonged came with me, and she was finally there. We talked to her, I explained that my female friend didn't take the money and nobody else has confessed and that she just wants her keys back. She did apologize (a little) and said that she would talk to her brother-in-law and let me know. Of course, she never actually called me but she told someone else that her brother-in-law wanted the keys' owner to come in person, and this information was eventually passed to us.

So I accompanied her over there and stood hidden outside the gate while she talked to the brother-in-law. He did not turn out to be the way I expected - he was calm and rational, and said that the $100 was only a small part of a $1600 roll which they were keeping in there until they could put it into a CD for their babies. He explained that it was "unfortunate that she left her keys there, but they're now his collateral - why should he be out of $100 because his wife's sister had a party at their house without his knowledge?" The story doesn't sound plausible out of context, but from what I saw of him, I believe he was telling the truth.

So we gave him the money and got her keys. I doubt if we'll ever find out who took the money.

Any thoughts? Statutory insights?

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 27
I'd just chalk it up to one of life's little experiences...

If I came home and there were a bunch of people in my house I didn't know drinking and then scattered like a pile of leaves I would be slightly more than pissed. That's not taking into effect if I found $100 missing either. Sounds like they were a bit of a d*ck about it, but part of me doesn't blame them either. Hard to say really since I wasn't there...

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 27
“Any thoughts?”

Don’t leave $1600 in cash in the bathroom.

Sounds like there is probably more to the story than we know. The guys sister probably took the money.

Mitch

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have one question - why in the WORLD would one stash $1600 in a *bathroom* of all places?

I think that's the point, no one would expect money to be there.

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just chalk it up to one of life's little experiences...

I agree.. Just a unlucky experience. That being said, if this guy has kids he should have enough maturity to not hold someone's keys when he don't know who took his money. It sounds like there were 5-10 people there and holding one person responsible because they left their keys isn't a very fair thing to do. But life is such.

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 27
sounds to me like the guy's sister took the cash, because if a stranger found it, why wouldn't the WHOLE wad be gone? the sister probably took a tiny "interest free loan" and was going to replace it later - no muss, no fuss - but got caught when the bathroom debacle happened...and then blamed it on the partyfolks. sneaky.

well that's the way it smells from here!

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 27
You probably should not have paid him. Where I live, the host is fully liable for all damage and loss on their property caused by invited guests. I would think this would be pretty common in other parts of the country.

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's the point, no one would expect money to be there.

Yeah, but the bathroom is a particularly insecure room - it's a high-traffic room when you're entertaining, and when someone's in it, the door is always closed and locked. And of course there's the well-documented tendency of people to look through others' medicine cabinets...

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 27
It's stink. You got $1600 in a roll and the thief only took $100. I agree with the others, it's either his sister in law (the hostess/your girlfriend's friend) who took the money or you saw an oscar worthy act.

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 27
If you were to steal $100 that you would have happened across in a stranger's house, why stop there. There is a roll of $1600 sitting there. Who would take the time to peel off a single bill (or count out 100 dollars worth of twenties)?

Contact the police and tell then what the problem is, they have no right to extort 100 dollars from the people that happened to be there. If anyone should be held at fault for the missing money, it should be the sister. I'd put my money (pun not intended) the fact that the sister probably used it for a beer run. The police won't be able to do anything to the people that were there, even if there was underage drinking there is no proof. Only the word of the hosts. The people at the party cannot be held at fault for what happened, whomever was hosting the party must take responsiblity for the party-goers. (That's why you put away mom's best china, right?) And if there were a party and the police did show up, they'd threaten the owner of the house with a citation. Not the people that were there.

Jan 3, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds to me like the guy's sister took the cash, because if a stranger found it, why wouldn't the WHOLE wad be gone? the sister probably took a tiny "interest free loan" and was going to replace it later - no muss, no fuss - but got caught when the bathroom debacle happened...and then blamed it on the partyfolks. sneaky.

well that's the way it smells from here!

I agree 100% with this statement. Either that or they guy thought he had $1600, but really had $1500. 1600 is a weird number. And why was his first reaction to run to the bathroom to count his money?

@pne, it's not a horrible idea to keep some cash at home. There are certainly situations that could arise where you could need some cash outside of bank hours. However, I keep mine in a small Sentry safe ($30 at any department store), not in the bathroom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back