Keyboard-Fi
Mar 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #586 of 2,079
That ergo clear mod sounds really sweet, I might try it myself.  I really like the blue switches that I had briefly, but they're just so loud, they drove everyone around me crazy so I don't think I'll get another board with them for a while, until I have my own place.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #587 of 2,079
I have yet to try any mods for my MX blacks, and they tend to only ship to US or have keys in US format... It is still very nice to type on stock form and if you don't bottom out, the noise level is not that bad. This is used 50/50 gaming and general typing, it is great on gaming and still better than any rubber dome keyboard when it comes to typing.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #588 of 2,079

Quote:
I have yet to try any mods for my MX blacks, and they tend to only ship to US or have keys in US format... It is still very nice to type on stock form and if you don't bottom out, the noise level is not that bad. This is used 50/50 gaming and general typing, it is great on gaming and still better than any rubber dome keyboard when it comes to typing.

The MX Blacks are rather quiet as is. However, the o-rings make a very noticeable difference. I know because my F1-F12 keys don't have o-rings installed and neither does my Ins, Home, Del, End, PgUp, and PgDn keys and they really stand out when I use them from time to time.

I'd highly recommend the o-ring mods on the Mx Blacks if you have the time to do it.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #589 of 2,079
The O-ring mod sounds rather interesting. I wonder if it have any noticeable changes to the typing feel?

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #590 of 2,079
A friend of mine got the mech keyboard bug off me and bought a Filco. He then thought he'd try the o-ring dampeners just to see what difference they made. In his own words:

The rubber o rings finally arrived from WASD today - thought you may be
interested in what they are like. Basically they are ftw, they don't change
the feel of the keyboard too much but if you do bottom out you don't get the
cheap feeling plastic-on-plastic clack but it still feels really solid when
you do. Easy to fit, only the shift and backspace keys took longer than a
few seconds. You do get slightly reduced key travel which I like better and
noise is reduced a bit. These keyboards should come with these installed
imo, feels much more refined.

Quote:
The O-ring mod sounds rather interesting. I wonder if it have any noticeable changes to the typing feel?

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #591 of 2,079
Feels more refined? That's total opposite of my experience with reds and blues. I just couldn't get used to the somewhat mushy landing on Cherry boards, it felt quite terrible to be honest. The fact I've typed on non-dampened Cherry boards for 4+ years might have to do something with it, though.

Nevertheless, the rings are cheap so I totally recommend trying them out.

But if you want a really refined bottom out, there's one choice and that's Topre Realforce.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #592 of 2,079
I have those o-rings, and I just consider them to be "noise reduction" elements.  The reduction in key travel is insignificant.  That said, if you get thick o-rings or double them up, then the reduction in travel could make a big difference.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #593 of 2,079
Read through most of the pages I didnt see any mention of deck keyboards It's what I've been using for a few years. They use cherry switches each key has an individual led backlight as well you CANNOT wear out the text on the key the font is actually part of the plastic so you have black keys with a white font the white glows with the leds and its all 1 solid piece of plastic. It's cool as well if you dont like the light there are many levels and you can turn it off all together

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #594 of 2,079
O-ring are definitely worth it. You can watch the video on the wasdkeyboard site if you want to hear the sound difference, but over all it does make for a more pleasant typing experience since it basically stops you from bottoming out your keys. If you look around, geekhack had a group buy for different sized ones which also makes a difference in both sound and feel since the bigger ones reduce travel. Most 'silencing' mods consist o-ring type modifications anyway.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #596 of 2,079
IMO if you do any large amount of typing, you should really go for any mechanical keyboard. Me? After trying out a friend's keyboard to reply in some threads here, I can't wait to get mine later. At least until I scrape up enough money to buy one after a quite major headphones purchase. It is so much more better to type on it. Even in that brief period of time, I already tried to type lightly and now I do miss some keystrokes on my laptop keyboard.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #597 of 2,079
^ Right you are.  I spend 40+ hours a day typing at work.  I want to make that dreadful experience as non-dreadful as possible.  May as well try to enjoy what you do as much as possible.  This also explains why I have my best headphone and music rig at the office - I listen to music almost nonstop while at work and want to get the most enjoyment out of my working hours as possible.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #598 of 2,079
Look what the mailman brought today:

It's a Filco TKL board! I opted to go with brown switches. While I like the black switches I have in my other board I kinda missed the feel of the browns. I also like the blank keys better since I've switched to colemak a while ago. (and because they look significantly more badass of course)

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #600 of 2,079

Quote:
Look what the mailman brought today:

It's a Filco TKL board! I opted to go with brown switches. While I like the black switches I have in my other board I kinda missed the feel of the browns. I also like the blank keys better since I've switched to colemak a while ago. (and because they look significantly more badass of course)

Sure does look badass.  Do you have all the characters above the numbers memorized?  I could probably get by with blank letters, but I still hunt and peck for characters, brackets, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back