Keyboard-Fi
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #316 of 2,079
I was mostly concerned with queuing up units, I'd assume that's when you button mash the most?  Anyhow, I don't think it should be a huge issue.  Razer black widows are pretty easy to resell on ebay so I'll just get rid of it if it really bothers me too much.  Btw I'm sort of annoyed that there aren't any function keys anymore, I used to use those all the time.  

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #317 of 2,079
To help clear the worry about blue cherries and double clicking. As I've mentioned previously I use a Filco with the same switches that the Razer Black Widow uses (so blue), and I use my Filco daily with games, everything from Team Fortress 2 to Starcraft 2, from Minecraft to WoW, from Recettear to Deus Ex, hell, from Zork to Space Quest. If it's a game and it requires a keyboard, I've probably dabbled in it.

Even with the "harder" switch that the blue carry I've never had a problem with double clicking, but, I have had problem multi clicking, as in multiple times in a row in quick succession. The latest example that comes to mind was in GTAIV, in which you have to climb into a flying helicopter by spamming the Spacebar, while it was possible it wasn't exactly an enjoyable experience.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the Black Widow is an ugly keyboard? Way too much happening on the thing, give me a simplistic, clean design and I'm happy as a clam.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #318 of 2,079
I don't understand the way too much happening. Media keys are a plus, and I don't care about the macro keys. Everything else is standard except the shifted function keys, the font, and that the secondary keys are darker and below the regular keys.

The shifted function keys is so you can hit all the functions with just one hand. If you don't like the logo, turn it off. Your hand naturally covers it anyways when you're typing with both hands. If you don't like the function key, well, who really clicks or looks at that while they're typing. If you don't like gloss, fine. But it doesn't bother me at all. I wash my hands periodically anyways. I don't understand all this hate.

There are many people who need media keys and programmable macros. Not having them on mechanical keyboards is a huge turn off. The board is very clean and as simplistic as a design can get for Razer. What is the point of Razer producing an exact identical copy of every single other mechanical keyboard out there. Then you'd just buy those instead.

If you don't like the extras, don't use them. But they are hardly obtrusive, except probably the macro key messing with the ctrl key. It actually develops a better habit, as you should be guiding your hands with the f and j key, not the ctrl key, and after a several days, I rarely click it by accident..

In Starcraft, you shouldn't really be queuing up should you? :)

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #319 of 2,079
Well, now that you can select multiple buildings it's pretty normal to spam building units buttons.  The black widow doesn't look too busy to me, compared to some of logitech's stuff with the lcd screens and all that it's really not too complicated.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #320 of 2,079
double tapping with browns is easy.  fruitdealer the uber zerg uses browns I've seen.  Dtapping is only a problem for some on blues.  Most players have to double tap in SC2.  They usually use browns or blacks.  However I've never had any issues with double tapping and gaming in general in any games with blues.  Currently I use browns and topre exclusively.  

If you're looking to buy a keyboard and feel tempted by G15s and the like for 50 or less, don't buy it.  Instead buy a razer black widow for 70usd, or a good mechanical from das, or leopold, or deck. They're worth up to 150usd.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #321 of 2,079
I don't need back lighted keys, they're pointless. I don't need media keys, I have my media set up without them. I don't need macro keys, I never used them in the first place. All because it's as simplistic by Razer's standards does not make it simple. Comparing it to Logitech does not make it simplistic. Nothing added to the keyboard will help me type or game, add this onto the fact that I personally consider the thing ugly as sin makes it a significant target for my dislike.
Quote:
I don't understand the way too much happening. Media keys are a plus, and I don't care about the macro keys. Everything else is standard except the shifted function keys, the font, and that the secondary keys are darker and below the regular keys.

The shifted function keys is so you can hit all the functions with just one hand. If you don't like the logo, turn it off. Your hand naturally covers it anyways when you're typing with both hands. If you don't like the function key, well, who really clicks or looks at that while they're typing. If you don't like gloss, fine. But it doesn't bother me at all. I wash my hands periodically anyways. I don't understand all this hate.

There are many people who need media keys and programmable macros. Not having them on mechanical keyboards is a huge turn off. The board is very clean and as simplistic as a design can get for Razer. What is the point of Razer producing an exact identical copy of every single other mechanical keyboard out there. Then you'd just buy those instead.

If you don't like the extras, don't use them. But they are hardly obtrusive, except probably the macro key messing with the ctrl key. It actually develops a better habit, as you should be guiding your hands with the f and j key, not the ctrl key, and after a several days, I rarely click it by accident..

In Starcraft, you shouldn't really be queuing up should you? :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #322 of 2,079

Quote:
I don't need back lighted keys, they're pointless. I don't need media keys, I have my media set up without them. I don't need macro keys, I never used them in the first place. All because it's as simplistic by Razer's standards does not make it simple. Comparing it to Logitech does not make it simplistic. Nothing added to the keyboard will help me type or game, add this onto the fact that I personally consider the thing ugly as sin makes it a significant target for my dislike.

There's a version without back lights. Don't use the media keys then. You can still use your custom controls on the keyboard just as easily. Don't use the macro keys then. It's still cheaper than anything else on the market, and it's more widely available. Logitech? Nothing else on any other keyboard will help you at all. And finally, who looks at their keyboard when they're typing. I agree it's preference, but it does not look bad at all. And it has the exact same build quality (as much as can be told since release) minus some key stabilizers.

I don't understand how it looks ugly as sin though. Font? Gloss? But I guess it's preference. Sure it may be ugly to some enthusiast's standards, but ugly as sin? 

Not directed at you, but imagine this scenario. A new keyboard has all the regular features as a standard mechanical keyboard with an almost completely standard layout, including some out-of-the-way extra features rarely introduced in mechanical boards, at the expense of bad font, a glossy body and full NKRO. This new keyboard is cheaper than almost every other mechanical keyboard on the market, and is more widely available.

But if it's really that disgusting to you, then whatever. Razer can't please everyone, but hopefully they'll please enough people to get them more interested into better keyboards. I'm one of the people on that boat, so I'm satisfied.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #323 of 2,079
Who looks at their headphones while listening? Who looks at the outside of their car while driving? The insides of their computer case while using it? All different contexts but still the general idea remains.

It's not attractive by any standards of mine, it doesn't click with me, and nothing they added is a feature I want. I never intended to start an argument with my comment, I never said it would be bad for everyone, nor have I ever said it was a bad keyboard, I was asking if the keyboard just doesn't click for others as it does me. Is it a good value? Sure. Is the thing going to be of the greatest build quality? After going through 2 of their mice, I'll tend to say not so much (my current Logitech mouse has been around twice as long as either of my Razer mice, and is still going strong).

If you want to know what I do consider attractive as a keyboard look no farther then the Happy Hacking series. Minimalistic, simple, while adding a feature that once one gets use to actually improves typing.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #324 of 2,079
Thats the Xtrac ripper xxl, only 25 bucks! (i paid 20 for my last one...which was like 1/10th the size)

Quote:
thats a MASSIVE mousepad.

what is it

[size=medium]
On another note, im not a fan of the blackwidow's aesthetics either, all those useless extra keys and the font too...and the backlighting is kind of tacky

making keys visible for late night gaming? TURN ON THE LAMP BRO.
[/size]

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #325 of 2,079
Condemning every single keyboard with backlight. Good luck turning on a lamp in a LAN. The backlighting is a non-issue. Go look at the no backlight version if you don't like the backlights. I don't... and it's 5 extra keys. Don't make it sound like 20+.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #327 of 2,079
If you need a light to see your keys, you're doing it wrong. The only time I even need to look at my keyboard is when I'm programming, and that's because I'm silly and still can't 100% remember where all the symbols are.

I don't get why you won't just admit that people have preferences instead of defending it at every turn. It's obvious that some people, myself included do not like the aesthetics of the Black Widow, it's just an ugly keyboard that looks like it's trying too hard. You like it, we get that, so do other people, but that doesn't mean that other opinions are wrong, as aesthetics are a personal choice, which is absolutely how you're making it sound.

Quote:
....am I the only one who gets sufficient light from my monitor to see the keys?

Heck, a monitor can almost give off enough lite to read a book from!

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #328 of 2,079

Quote:
....am I the only one who gets sufficient light from my monitor to see the keys? 

Some people have that scroll out keyboard tray thing I think, and it'll maybe block some monitor light depending on the setup. Sometimes I just like pushing it all the way in and attempting to type with like 1cm of clearance above my hands. I'm doing it now. Idk. lol. I don't like the backlights either. $50 dollars for cheap LEDs. But some 'pro gamers' want it, and I'm not going to try and turn them against it. I'm content with the non-backlit version. 

When I play at night, I hate to bother my parents since my computer room doesn't really have a door, so light leaks through straight into their room. I usually don't have the lights turned on for those sessions, or I turn my lamp against the wall. The lighting is sufficient, but you rarely look at your keyboard anyways, so I don't understand.

EDIT: And you're arguing against actual facts instead of simplying saying, "I hate the way it looks." Instead, you're saying stuff like, "After going through 2 of their mice, I'll tend to say not so much (my current Logitech mouse has been around twice as long as either of my Razer mice, and is still going strong)", "Minimalistic, simple, while adding a feature that once one gets use to actually improves typing" and "I don't need back lighted keys, they're pointless. I don't need media keys, I have my media set up without them. I don't need macro keys, I never used them in the first place. All because it's as simplistic by Razer's standards does not make it simple. Comparing it to Logitech does not make it simplistic. Nothing added to the keyboard will help me type or game", which are wholly up for debate. Your opinion however, is not.

Soz lol, I just find it fun to argue or try to argue back and forth. I don't mean anything bad by these. Sorry if anyone is offended lol.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #329 of 2,079
Sigh, OK, let's get things straight here.

Quote:
And you're arguing against actual facts instead of simplying saying, "I hate the way it looks."

You mean the multiple times I've mentioned that I personally consider the thing ugly? I said that quite a while back, that is where this whole discussion began. And yes, to me minimalistic is something pleasing to my eye, which is why I also brought that up multiple times.

Quote:
Instead, you're saying stuff like...

The reason for me saying that stuff to begin with was in response to your;

Quote:
A new keyboard has all the regular features as a standard mechanical keyboard with an almost completely standard layout, including some out-of-the-way extra features rarely introduced in mechanical boards

You yourself decided to bring in things other than looks, so I replied in kind, mentioning that all the "features" they keyboard comes with are absolutely useless to me, so it is in no way a selling point. Much like my past experience in Razer makes me weary about their build quality. I'm only going to care about a feature if I deem that it's going to help me.

Quote:
which are wholly up for debate. Your opinion however, is not.

I don't believe I ever once mentioned that I wanted to debate one's opinion, much as I never said that your opinion is wrong. You brought up counter-points, so I said why I believe none of those things matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back