Keyboard-Fi
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #301 of 2,079
I think using Black would have seemed like a rip off of the SteelSeries boards. I need Blues though, since I type a bit more than I game. And I would have no idea where to get the Browns.

Weird that I like the clicking sound, since I can hear it through my open headphones, even when music is playing.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #302 of 2,079
I don't know what you mean.  Black vs blues, plus none of them were the inventors of these switches.  I'm sure tons of people had filcos, cherries and M's for a long time.  Blues are great.  Not wierd that people like them.  It's best that people who want blue or browns wait for leopold at elite, or pay for ducky's from geekhack.  The customs aren't that much if you know how to work the boarder.  So it's usually worth it.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #303 of 2,079

Quote:
I think using Black would have seemed like a rip off of the SteelSeries boards. I need Blues though, since I type a bit more than I game. And I would have no idea where to get the Browns.

Weird that I like the clicking sound, since I can hear it through my open headphones, even when music is playing.

Razor = gaming, which is why I found it weird since blues generally aren't regarded as the best MX switches for games.

Anyway, even though I'm on a Mac I'm jonesing for a Filco and to then get a blank key set and replace/remap the Windows-specific keys. I can't find Mac character keys anywhere though (unless someone can help!?) which would create a better look like having half a dozen blanks... but it'll probably do.

The Apple Wireless Keyboard is okay, but I never feel like I'm typing that fast on it, and of course you're constantly bottoming out, which travels right through the case noise-wise and makes it all sound quite clunky. It's in a keyboard tray too so it's not like I'd notice the difference between wired and wireless.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #304 of 2,079
there's the party that says the problem with double taps on blues for gaming is measureable.  There is the other party who know how to use blues for gaming and have no problems.  Razer is more about marketting and selling things thann for (pro) "gaming".

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #305 of 2,079
Well steelseries already filled the gaming mech kb market with their cherry black keyboard. They needed the Blackwidow to have something that the 6/7g didn't have (other than tacky blue backlighting). Apparently they did research and the blues came up as the best one, although I don't agree with them.

The actuation force for blues is a little too low for gaming, while I don't the linear switches of the blacks either...

It probably depends on the type of game though, I was using my model m until my filco came in- buckling springs are awesome for fps games

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #306 of 2,079
thats a MASSIVE mousepad.

what is it

Quote:
You aren't sure what switches they are? I wasn't sure what you meant by that...

Quote:
I'm currently using a FILCO majestouch with... i want to say they are blue switches..

Anyways, for anyone interested, here's my new filco! Typing on it is like fingering an angel...

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #307 of 2,079
Not sure about that one but off the top of my head there's only a couple in production at the moment, ones by Corepad (the C1 is great, I only have it in Medium though for my mouse) and one by BoogieBug (which I have as a 'deskpad'. You can see both here:

DAC is in the post, gotta start saving for speakers!

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #308 of 2,079

Quote:
I have the same thoughts about my BlackWidow. Sometimes (very few times though) it is a pain when trying to press a key repeatedly but well worth the money considering all other options are $$$.

How is it a pain?  I thought that the keys were supposed to spring up really fast so that you can push them down again?
I was considering the blackwidow too but considering all of my other hobbies $70 for a keyboard seems like a bit much.  I don't game that much but the games that I play do require a fair amount of button mashing or pressing a key repeatedly...

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #309 of 2,079

Quote:
Quote:
I have the same thoughts about my BlackWidow. Sometimes (very few times though) it is a pain when trying to press a key repeatedly but well worth the money considering all other options are $$$.

How is it a pain?  I thought that the keys were supposed to spring up really fast so that you can push them down again?
I was considering the blackwidow too but considering all of my other hobbies $70 for a keyboard seems like a bit much.  I don't game that much but the games that I play do require a fair amount of button mashing or pressing a key repeatedly...

See here:
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/880321-cherry-mx-blue-im-confused.html

I want Browns on my Filco as they seem a good compromise for tying and gaming (and aren't as noisy as blues).

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #310 of 2,079
Hmm,
Well I mostly play Starcraft.  I only got SC2 last week so I still suck but for SC1 I had close to 200 apm.  I've been mostly using the scissor membrane keys on my laptop which annoy me a lot, since my laptop has keys that are like those on macbook pros.
The thing is, sometimes I see some pretty nice keyboards like the logitech g15 on sale for only $40 and I was wondering if it would be worth it to spend the extra money on something more basic but mechanical.  I've tried my friend's g15 before and it's very nice although I can see how the membrane switches are a little mushy.  I've never tried a mechanical keyboard and unfortunately there don't seem to be any stores that have demos around me.  The double tapping issue seems like something that you could get used to easily although I wouldn't know because my experience has pretty much been limited to keys that only move like 1 or 2mm.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #312 of 2,079

Not sure about that one but off the top of my head there's only a couple in production at the moment, ones by Corepad (the C1 is great, I only have it in Medium though for my mouse) and one by BoogieBug (which I have as a 'deskpad'. You can see both here:

DAC is in the post, gotta start saving for speakers!

I have one made by xTrac pads called the Ripper XXL. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #313 of 2,079
I rarely double tap in SC2. Well, double tap fast. You really don't need to in any situation unless you're just spamming. It's worth it. If it's the 44s spam from zerg hatcheries, I just tap it slower. Mechanical keyboards feel a lot better to work on in general. 

Someone suggested a Rhinolin desk pad, and I've used it as a mousepad for a while. It was pretty comfortable, but I felt like I would be scratching the mouse feet since it has a hard surface. I have since gotten a SteelSeries mousepad, so now I just use the Rhinolin for writing.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #314 of 2,079
off topic, but I double tap ALL THE TIME in sc2 to recenter the camera between my armies, scouts, upgrading buildings, and workers.  this is indeed needed, in every single situation, except for the first 20 seconds before scouting.  i cant imagine how you can even play without it? 

still, double tapping on cherry browns is extremely easy - i don't know what the fuss is about.  heck, many of the players in the GSL use a filco with browns! 

Quote:
I rarely double tap in SC2. Well, double tap fast. You really don't need to in any situation unless you're just spamming. It's worth it. If it's the 44s spam from zerg hatcheries, I just tap it slower. Mechanical keyboards feel a lot better to work on in general. 

Someone suggested a Rhinolin desk pad, and I've used it as a mousepad for a while. It was pretty comfortable, but I felt like I would be scratching the mouse feet since it has a hard surface. I have since gotten a SteelSeries mousepad, so now I just use the Rhinolin for writing.

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #315 of 2,079

Quote:
off topic, but I double tap ALL THE TIME in sc2 to recenter the camera between my armies, scouts, upgrading buildings, and workers.  this is indeed needed, in every single situation, except for the first 20 seconds before scouting.  i cant imagine how you can even play without it? 

still, double tapping on cherry browns is extremely easy - i don't know what the fuss is about.  heck, many of the players in the GSL use a filco with browns! 

Quote:

Eh. I have not double tapped fast enough that the key is not registered. I know some people that literally smash their keys whenever they double tap. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back