Keyboard-Fi
Sep 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,606 of 2,079
I just bought a CM Quickfire TK with MX Green switches. The Green switches are not very good for double tapping, but they're the best typing switches I've used, right up there with the Model M, though I think the Model M has longer switch throws. Definitely heavier than MX Blues, which is exactly what I wanted! Also, the keyboard is very compact, fits right above my Asus G51 laptop's keyboard. The backlight is atomically bright at full tilt. I love the combo number pad and key pad... that's the real star of the keyboard. Super thick, high quality feeling USB cable.

The only real problem I have with it is that there are some drivers that need to be installed before the keyboard is usable, which is somewhat annoying if you're using public computers and this keyboard.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,608 of 2,079
I have one of those 4 mx key testers and I've been playing with it for almost a year. Still to this day I have no idea what color I want. I know blue is absolutely out of the question because of the noise. I keep going back and forth between red with the ring and black without. Brown doesn't seem that great to me. I see people mentioning other colors.

With that said what color is best to type with since I do probably 80% typing. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,612 of 2,079
I use blues with the o-ring mod to reduce the noise level, it's tolerable. If not blues I would go with reds, just my personal preference however.

I support this too, I think blues are excellent for mainly typing, but the reds are excellent too

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,613 of 2,079
I have one of those 4 mx key testers and I've been playing with it for almost a year. Still to this day I have no idea what color I want. I know blue is absolutely out of the question because of the noise. I keep going back and forth between red with the ring and black without. Brown doesn't seem that great to me. I see people mentioning other colors.

With that said what color is best to type with since I do probably 80% typing. 

Clears are the best for typing imo. The "new" green ones are apparently also very nice if you like the old IBM keyboards.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #1,614 of 2,079
Use to like using supposed gaming keyboards.. Razer..Steelseries etc.. but made the switch to Mechanical and never looked back.

Keyboard i use at home: Topre Realforce 104-UBDK ( keyboardgasm!!, whether be it working away or gaming )
Keyboard in the office: Filco Majestouch Ninja (Cherry MX Blue keycaps)

Topre feels..soo..goood.. 

Other keyboards i use: Happy Hacking Professional II - Non Printed Edition.. (These are sick..very mobile as well, my keyboard when i travel with a labtop and i need to do heavy typing, also good to amaze friends/coworkers with your leet typing skills as its not printed :p)

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #1,615 of 2,079
Anyone know where to get semi-clear (translucent) keycaps?   I can find factory keyboards with them but I need the numpad which for whatever reason doesn't exist on alot of mx keyboards. 

Would be perfect if it had a numpad

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,616 of 2,079
  Anyone know where to get semi-clear (translucent) keycaps?   I can find factory keyboards with them but I need the numpad which for whatever reason doesn't exist on alot of mx keyboards. 

Would be perfect if it had a numpad

Entire set of 104 semi-transparent keys.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Semi-Clear-ABS-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/330853929008?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d086e5030
You can find some here.. http://www.maxkeyboard.com/clear-translucent-cherry-mx-blank-keycap-set-for-esc-w-a-s-d-or-e-s-d-f-and-arrow-keys.html
Also search for WASD keyboards , you can custom caps there with your ow design.

Hmm i never had problems finding full-sized keyboards over here..just dont get tenkeyless edition :xf_eek:...

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,617 of 2,079
Got a corsair rgb with blue switches, to those thinking about getting one I would advise waiting until corsair fixes some qc issues. Friend got his today and a third of his keys are mushy and are more like browns than like blues. Took a look at the corsair forums and it doesn't look like an uncommon issue where the blues are more like browns.

Software also isn't the best, it is rather slow and has froze quite a bit on me and when it does the lighting effects stop. Restarting the program doesn't always fix it as well. Had to unplug and plug the keyboard a few times to get the software to realized the keyboard was plugged in and the color effects would happen again.

Overall I am pretty mixed about the corsair rgb for me. Switches for me feel tad inconsistent, software takes some getting used to and is buggy, plugging this keyboard into some of my usb 3.0 ports bugs out the keyboard and the light effects won't work in the ports. The color changing aspect is really nice looking and everyone I've shown likes it. If qc was better and software was improved this would be a really great keyboard but right now after cost me nearly $200 I am debating whether to return it.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,618 of 2,079
I'm lost looking for a keyboard with all the features I would like - can someone help me out here?

I would like something pretty much like the Das Keyboard 4 professional with back lighting.  So - tenkey, single usb, 2 port usb hub, mechanical, dedicated media controls, no macro keys, detachable wrist rest.   I'm thinking it doesn't exist and to either just get the DK4 or wait and see if the EVGA board comes out anytime soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back