Kernel Streaming Output in Foobar with Corda Dac/Amp
Aug 10, 2007 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Norn

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I 've just received my new amp/dac from Meier Audio : the Corda Cantate. As usual, I run foobar 0.9.4.3 to listen to music, go to Preferences -> Output and choose KS : USB xxx (16 bits) to use Kernel Streaming but nothing seems to happen. I get no sound, and the counter doesn't move off 0.00 - it's like the track never starts playing. If I try a different bit depth, then I get an error "Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device."

If I choose, the Direct Sound ouput, everything works great ; but I'm surprised that I can't be able to use kernel streaming.

I 've found a solution : use ASIO4ALL in order to bypass Kmixer but how good is it compare to kernel streaming output in foobar ?

Any Corda owners would have an idea ?

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 9
Asio is same as kernal streaming AFAIK.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Many people find that USB audio devices cannot be used at all with KS.

I do know that the E-MU 0404 USB gives exactly the same result as you found with the Meier.

My lack of knowledge of the details of Windows audio prevents me from understanding complete explanations for that which have been posted on some forums--but apparently it depends on the chip used in the device that provides the USB interface and/or the total hardware/driver implementation, which can be done in several different ways.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Did you try restarting foobar? Everytime you disconnect and reconnect the Cantate you have to restart foobar.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Try searching for: ASIO4All explanation

You should be able to find a small thread which explains all of this.
wink.gif

Edit: I am an owner of a Corda Porta MkIII and I have never been able to get this to work with KS either. ASIO or ASIO4All is the way to go in my opinion. (or DS of course)

Edit II: I did the searching for you. Here is the thread I was talking about.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx EnOYIN, your topic really help me
smily_headphones1.gif

You are welcome. If you've got any questions left do not hesitate to PM me.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx EnOYIN, your topic really help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, it's what I used to set up my ASIO today too, thanks.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 9
I realize this is a very old thread but I've recently come across the same problem when trying to use kernel streaming playback through Foobar in an old Windows XP PC of mine, which is connected to an external USB DAC. The solution, it seems (after a bit of Googling of course), is rather unusual -> simply press play (you'll get no sound with this), pause, and then play again and voila, Foobar will play through your play list like normal. Works for me but it IS rather weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back