Kenwood vs iMod vs amped iPod
May 29, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used my 4G imod with my sennheiser hd650s without an amp, and it worked fine. it wasn't overly loud either.

Be noted that there is no way to control the output volume of a 4G imod. If the mastering of the CDs are bad, the volume variation may be large and an amp may still be needed.

May 29, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 44
Here's what I'll tell you:

with my HD650s, it's very loud at 20/30 on my Kenwood. What seemed to be lacking compared to an amped (desktop) source was the boominess and general soundstage.

Either way, it's not a "blow you away" kind of difference

May 29, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 44
Hey Assorted, are you still writing the review for your Kenwood?
How does it sound amped (with a GOOD amp)?

May 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 44
if you do not want a headphone amp, kenwood B9 will be your first choice^^

May 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Assorted, are you still writing the review for your Kenwood?
How does it sound amped (with a GOOD amp)?

Yes I am, but I haven't gotten my Shure's back from their warranty dep yet
frown.gif

Btw I also ordered a PK2 so we'll see how that goes with the Kenwood
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 44
On a scale of 0-10, 10 being freaking awesome and 0 being unworthy of existence, a 4G iPod (with little burn in) amped is about a 3 and an iMod amped (with little burn in) is probably a 6.5. With burn in, the iMod jumps to about a 7.5, and this is on an absolute scale according to the other equipment I've had experience with. On a relative scale where I'd compare the iMod with similar doohickeys capable of use in similar situatioins, the iMod jumps to a solid 9.5.

I spent a significant amount of time listening to the K701 with an iMod / SuperMacroIV over the weekend and I have to say I found it very, very satisfying. I just can't fathom feeling the same way if I were using a plain iPod.

May 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 44
Yes, exactly. I think an amped Kenwood should sound even better (more soundstage, better nuances). It is a warm player, so it could be coupled with a tube-like amp, like the Supermicro. What I'm afraid is, being the Kenwood a headphone out, the amp would also amp distortion and part of the hiss.

May 31, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 44
I've posted this somewhere else, but it seems relevant here. The appeal of an iMod is that of all large capacity digital players, it offers the best compromise between portability and scale-ability. If the Kenwood sounds as good as people say it does (I have not heard it), I would think it qualifies as the best truly portable player. But since the iMod offers an unamped signal, you can pair it with any amp you want, all the way up the ladder, hearing better and better sound along the way. Skylab recently wrote a review of Ray Samuels' Apache, using the iMod as his source, and he heard a big difference between that and his Corda Opera. I doubt many people would consider plugging a Kenwood (with its already amped signal) into an Apache.

There's lots of tradeoffs in hi-fi audio. The iMod requires more bulk to carry around. But it's a good enough source that you will hear lots more differences between amps, between headphones, and even interconnects. If hearing those differences, and trying out lots of different sounds, appeals to you, the iMod is a great investment.

May 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #28 of 44
You're right. The problem is how good an amp has to be, in order to make the iMod sound as good as a Kenwood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, can i ask how the rh1 compare to the kenwood in terms of SQ? since you have both

Sorry?

May 31, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right. The problem is how good an amp has to be, in order to make the iMod sound as good as a Kenwood.

Sorry?

Yeah, I agree. And I have no idea. I wish someone would do an extensive comparison with an iMod + hornet or iMod + super micro VI or something.

It's also too bad the Kenwood isn't really available in the US. Without a return policy or something (which I don't believe Audiocubes offers), I'd be wary of buying it myself.

May 31, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 44
I just decided to sell my current setup and buy the Kenwood. My current setup is actually small compared to those I see in the picture thread but it's still too big for my tastes. The interconnect and everything just make it unweildy.

I should get my Kenwood later today or tomorrow and I'll have a chance to compare its headphone out to my ipod's lineout to ghetto iBasso T1.

I just want something small enough to carry around anywhere since I listen to music for 2-3 hours every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back