Kenwood MediaKeg MG-G608
Jul 6, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 25
The MG-G508 looks more interesting as the only difference is a lack of bluetooth for a lower price. The MG-G508 can be forwarded from Japan via Tenso and can be attained for about 120$, which seems like a  good deal.  This player will most likely have a line-out like the F508/516 which can be enabled when you turn the volume all the way up. Very surprised there hasn't been interest in this player, the fact that Tenso can now forward it makes it quite tempting. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 25
There was a period where the kenwood mediakegs were hyped on head-fi.

i was "tricked" in to buying a 2nd hand 20gb unit.

Bad and slow interface. hissed like a rabid cat. had to load it through kenwoods software.  it wasnt exactly a good player.

but i guess maybe JVC improved them a bit.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 25
I have just ordered the G508 thanks to Inks so will let you all know what it is like once received. I had an old Kenwood 30gb Keg and that was great for SQ the interface was a little sluggish but i never found the hissing to be a major issue with that unit, most of the issues Aevum mentioned will be fixed i have no doubt.

As Inks said if you don't need bluetooth there is no difference whatsoever, so if it is something you do not need i would opt for the 508.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 25
Only uses up to a 16GB micro SD card? If it did 32GB I'd buy one of these right NOW!!! Oh well, I do hope the SQ is splendid, and I'm sure we'd all love your opinion when it arrives. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 25
I have just ordered the G508 thanks to Inks so will let you all know what it is like once received. I had an old Kenwood 30gb Keg and that was great for SQ the interface was a little sluggish but i never found the hissing to be a major issue with that unit, most of the issues Aevum mentioned will be fixed i have no doubt.

As Inks said if you don't need bluetooth there is no difference whatsoever, so if it is something you do not need i would opt for the 508.

I really like old Kenwood sound signature. Do you still have the old one to compare? Please tell us what you think after you receive it. Thank you.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 25
Yes... please post impressions.  Sooner or later (maybe in firmware) they will allow a 32gb SD.  I love my J3, but I think I would prefer non-touchscreen again.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 25
May I ask what website you used to buy the MG-G508?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 25
You can buy it from Amazon.jp and get it forwarded via Tenso which is a very reliable forwarding service.

Here's what I sent to Hedba in regards to ordering:
This is Tenso, use the step-by-step process they put together. Buy the player from Amazon.jp and use Tenso's address. Use google translator or the program of your choice to translate, this should also help you when it comes to inputting your address. They'll let you know when they receive your package. To know the cost look up the weight on Amazon.jp and input that on Tenso and it should give you a good estimate. I have used the service before and it's very reliable. You can also avoid customs by inputting it as a gift with low value when you pay for Tenso's shipping as you get the option to do that. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 25
this new kenwood has new WM8904 wolfson

http://www.epn-online.com/page/new129777/low-power-codec-features-class-w-amplifier-technology.html

class w amplifier.

I placed an order -- will post back results.  I needed bluetooth for my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back