Kenwood HD30GA9 - first impressions
Jan 12, 2006 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hwanmeister

New Head-Fier
The HD30GA9 I ordered 40 days ago (believe it or not) has finally arrived. So here are my first impressions and findings.

First of all, the overall sound hasn't changed. Still the full, warm and rich sound of HD20GA7. I wrote about the sound quality of the Kenwood players in my HD20GA7 review, and I don't think there's anything to add there with HD30GA9 (sadly I sold my HD20GA7 so any direct comparison is impossible). The headphone used was E5c.

Doubtless the main interest with HD30GA9 is the two new features: Supreme sound effect and the Kenwood lossless files (KLS).

Supreme: This is basically a 3-D sound effect you can find in most mp3 file players (I believe X5 also had one, if my memory serves me right). But unlike other, more commonplace 3-D effects that murder the vocals and the mid-range to ratchet up other areas of sound to bombastic levels, producing unnaturally full sound, Supreme is very subtle, almost eerily so. The first time I put on the effect, I couldn't notice any difference. But after a while I noticed that an electronic tinge was added to the vocals and the mid-range, giving my ears the impression that there was another dimension to the sound. Also, having Supreme on widens the spectrum of sound (is it what you might call sound stage? or head stage? I don't know) much more successfully than other 3-D effects, because it's very subtle and sensitive - almost none of the mid-range is sacrificed to widen the sound stage. I think Supreme is ideal for 128kpbs-and-below files that suffer from narrow sound spectrum. But the problem with it is that because of the aforementioned 'electronic' tinge the vocals sound a bit tampered with: the Supreme effect slightly frays the vocals, and a very soft tinge that reminds me of television static is run through the song. I guess this is the price you pay for wider sound stage. Definitely not for purists, but it's nice to have the option if you have some 128kpbs files that are rare or hard-won.

Next, the KLS. Disappointingly, it cannot be directly extracted from CDs (the software, KMA, being the cursed little thing that it is, cannot manage any CD ripping). You must first rip your CDs into WAV files, then run through KMA which will convert them into KLS as you put files into HD30GA9. The silver lining, however, is that, well, KMA converts all your files (be them MP3, WMA or WAV) anyway, so it doesn't take much extra time or effort to turn the WAV files into KLS. A poor excuse, I know, but here's more. KLS is approximately 60% size of WAV files. For example:

Radiohead's 'Airbag' - MP3 320kpbs: 11,125kb
- WAV: 48,995kb
- KLS: 35,478kb

'Paranoid Android' - MP3 320kpbs: 14,995kb
- WAV: 66,065kb
- KLS: 46,524kb

KLS could qualify for the smallest lossless file existing, but I'm not sure so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, KLS might be useful for the space-conscious users out there. Also, as far as I can tell KLS supports gapless playback. For example, I'm sure people know that On 'OK Computer' 'Airbag' segues seamlessly into 'Paranoid Android' and 'Karma Police' into 'Fitter, Happier'. On HD30GA9 both WAV and KLS files achieve this gaplessly. Funnily enough I can't really notice any gaps with Mp3 files either, but if you put it in 'random' mode there are noticeable gaps in MP3 playback as the player jumps from one file to another. I haven't noticed gaps in 'random' mode with WAV or KLS files, but they need more testing. One more thing, although Kenwood said they improved on the white noise problem, it's still there. Slightly less than HD20GA7, but still very noticeable. When the music is playing it's no problem, and I'm not a white noise nazi so I don't mind it, but I was rather hoping that Kenwood fixed it definitively.

I've always felt ever since I got HD20GA7 that on the Kenwood players the user EQ actually helped the sound. I know most people here in head-fi are advocates of normal SQ, and my experience with iPod mini and X5 allows me to understand that sentiment. But with the HD-GA series, I really feel that having the EQ on is not a bad thing. Unlike other players, they don't really boost the sound. On the older iPods the SQ distorted the sound; on the X5 the SQ/user EQ crudely amplified the sound so that the result was coercive, very unnatural, alienating and unbalanced. But the user EQ on HD-GA series is a very subtle thing. To use a clumsy analogy, the SQ on other players is like steep stairs, on the Kenwood it's more like a gentle slope. Putting on the EQ doesn't make the sound go up pronounced levels, but rather subtly altering the layers of sound. Ok, I'm not describing it very well, but the purpose is to prevent people from dismissing Kenwood's EQ before they've tried it, simply because on most other players the SQs are crap.

I can safely say that I'm addicted to the sound of Kenwood's HD-GA series. It's by far my favourite sound of all the players I've hitherto used. But I'm sure that the ones I have not yet owned, like iriver H100 series and the Sony players, sound very good. I would like to try them out one day
biggrin.gif

p.s. I'll get some pics up before too long. Just can't be arsed at the mo.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Wow you finally got it. Just a few quick questions

Has the extra 10 gb changed the player's form factor at all?
Any changes in the interface?
What are encoding times like for KLS in comparison to Mp3 or flac?

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Has the extra 10 gb changed the player's form factor at all?
Any changes in the interface?
What are encoding times like for KLS in comparison to Mp3 or flac?

1. Nope, the form factor is the same. I know this because HD30GA9 fits into the maclear case that I used for HD20GA7 in the same way.

2. The interface also is the same.

3. I'm not really sure, but it can't be that much longer. As I've mentioned, even when you've ripped your CD into MP3 or WAV files, you still have to convert them through KMA in order to get them to play on your HD30GA9. When I converted WAV files into KLS, the encoding time wasn't so long as to make me think that it was taking longer than ordinary WAV -> HD30GA9 transfer. In terms of the ripping time, I would say that WAV -> KLS is around the same as CD -> MP3.

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 10
My main question, which you can now directly answer:

Any english compatibility issues? Both for the player and KMA.

I gave the exporter I was ordering the go ahead, and now they're persumably trying to find one for me. I really can't wait. It sounds like it will the a very good compliment for the ES2.

Also:

How is the noise problem compared to the X5? I find that with the UM2 and ES2, the X5 also has a fair amount of background noise. Additionally, how is the size of this thing next to the X5? I'm using a Zen Micro carrying pouch, which the X5/ES2 combo barely fits into. If the HD30GA9 is any bigger, I'll need to find something different.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I do beleive that this unit will not supplied and retailed in the US as kenwood advised that they do not see a market , up against and compared to the popularity of the ipod :/. dam i hate those things

AND a well known gene manufacturer (maybe leevi) are specifically making genes that will accomodate these ipods

As for the menu's i was unaware that any model supported english, although that may of been the GA7.

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
My main question, which you can now directly answer:

Any english compatibility issues? Both for the player and KMA.

I gave the exporter I was ordering the go ahead, and now they're persumably trying to find one for me. I really can't wait. It sounds like it will the a very good compliment for the ES2.

Also:

How is the noise problem compared to the X5? I find that with the UM2 and ES2, the X5 also has a fair amount of background noise. Additionally, how is the size of this thing next to the X5? I'm using a Zen Micro carrying pouch, which the X5/ES2 combo barely fits into. If the HD30GA9 is any bigger, I'll need to find something different.

Both HD20GA7 and HD30GA7 are fully English compatible for both the player and the software. You won't have any problems with the GUI on HD30GA9 or the KMA. The installation of the software for HD20GA7 was in English, but for HD30GA9 it was in Japanese. But it's really simple - just click what seems to be 'yes' a few times and the software will be installed
wink.gif
By the way, one of the curious things about HD-GA series is that there is no installation CD. Instead, when you hook up the player to the PC, the logo for KMA will come up among the options, and when you choose it the installation starts. Very curious indeed.

White noise is considerable. I haven't compared white noise with that in X5, but drawing from memory I reckon the white noise is greater with HD30GA9. The size is going to be a little bigger than X5, but smaller than X5L. If you have trouble fitting X5 into that pouch, you won't find it any easier with HD30GA9. To give you a basic idea, here's some comparison shots between HD20GA7 and X5L. Remember that X5L is considerably thicker than X5, while HD20GA7 is the same size as HD30GA9.

1125002300345975.2.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...00345975.2.jpg

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like it's time to brush up on some non-existent Japanese language skills
eek.gif

The white noise is definitely going to be an issue, but we'll see when the player is here. I think the E5c and UM2 have about the same sensitivity with regards to noise, while the ES2 has even more, so your account is definitely very helpful.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 10
White noise is considerable. I haven't compared white noise with that in X5, but drawing from memory I reckon the white noise is greater with HD30GA9.

** Actually whitenoise has been significantly improved with the GA9 version

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lanz
White noise is considerable. I haven't compared white noise with that in X5, but drawing from memory I reckon the white noise is greater with HD30GA9.

** Actually whitenoise has been significantly improved with the GA9 version

I've used both HD20GA7 and HD30GA9, and while there is an improvement in the latter it's very very slight. I wouldn't call it a 'significant' improvement. Anyway, I was referring to the difference in white noise between X5 and HD30GA9, in which case the Cowon player wins hands down.

phosfiend, HD30GA9 is gapless with WAV and KLS files. Also, with MP3 files in normal play mode (as in non-random) the gap is absolutely miniscule - there are no noticeable gaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back