KEF X300A - Powered Speakers built-in 24/96 DAC
Sep 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

raybanner

New Head-Fier
KEF just introduced new speakers. Computer Audio is getting hotter and hotter :)

The X300A Speakers looks just awesome to me. I'm to excited about their SQ.

kef_x300A_2bx.jpg

Specs:

- Powered Speakers
- 24/96 DAC built- in
- asynchronous USB
- Class AB Bi-Amp
- optional Apple Airplay Bluetooth Dongle Kit

sounds to good to be true :O

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/fact_sheets/X300A_group/X300A/index.html

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Looks nice, but what about the price?

Also, as much as I like the minimalistic approach of having an all-in-one set, it can be a headache later if you want to upgrade something...

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
this "system" just delivers everything for hq music listening.

Ha, I believe you lack the understanding of how a Head-fier's mind works.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Btw I think they're a bit overpriced at $799. One could buy something like an HRT Music Streamer II and two Tannoy 501A for ~$500.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Ha, I believe you lack the understanding of how a Head-fier's mind works.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Btw I think they're a bit overpriced at $799. One could buy something like an HRT Music Streamer II and two Tannoy 501A for ~$500.

Wow, you must be psychic.  You can tell how something sounds when you've never even seen a pair. 

Amazing.   Do you guess weights at carnivals for a living?  

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Wow, you must be psychic.  You can tell how something sounds when you've never even seen a pair. 

Amazing.   Do you guess weights at carnivals for a living?  

It's fairly obvious I'm guessing, since they have just announced it. Do I really have to make myself redundant here?
What I'm trying to say is, it would take a lot to convince me to buy an all-in-one set for $799. Keep in mind these are the same Uni-Q drivers from the Q series, except they're thrown into a smaller enclosure with a bunch of electronics inside.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 12
Last year at 3 of the Audio Shows that I attended I fell in love with the KEF LS50 speakers. IMO the LS50's would be more appropriately priced at $4000-$5000 (based upon what other uber-quality bookshelf speakers are selling for) I consider the LS50 a steal at $1500/pr. Needless to say I ordered a pair, which I am impatiently waiting for. Which brings me to this post.

I noticed that KEF had their X300A system. Since I needed a nice system for my work office system I ordered the X300A's hoping that they delivered some of the LS50 magic.

They've been set up and playing for two days, and so far I am very pleased. They aren't LS50's, but they do share the same DNA. I have listened to many (Most?) of the self powered systems (if they were at CES) and most make more noise than music. So far the KEF's are making Music, which is high praise.

So my two day quick review results are that the KEF X300A Speaker System is an extremely well made set of desktop music makers. I am happy that I spent the money on them.

FYI - I don't sell KEF, purchased through KEF Direct http://www.kefdirect.com/

May 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Got 'em. Love 'em.
Some may say that the built in DAC and dual amp is a cheat, and that it cannot be as good as stacking your own gear - BUT - if you have a small desk top, with too much clutter, and you want to plug and listen - Here's the answer.

They are not cheap, I hear you cry????
Well - what's the alternative?

I have tried several version of active speaker for PC / Mac desktop music over the years, and these take the trophy. The stage is wide and deep, the bass is deep, but clean and cracking. The mid give vocals or instrumental a very pleasing clarity, while the top end is sharp (if not quite perfectly tinklingly sintilating).

To get the same quality from a PC you are going to need to fork out for some nice monitors, a DAC and amp... 

I rest my case

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 12
These ones are designed for and targeted at computer users and for streaming music from a certain fruit company which makes things that only look good(for some people only).

The price of $800 (you can find them for cheaper, like anything else) is intimidating for the average PC user but for the handful of people who drop a grand just on graphic card(s) without blinking an eye it's a rather good deal if they feel the need to have better audio.

They have good mid and highs, and good enough bass that make most speakers with similar purpose and similar priced name-brand (B whatever..) sounds like *@$!%!.

They are halfway between consumer speakers and *cheap* studio monitors, detailed enough you won't miss anything when playing mp3s while being rather forgiving that lower quality mp3s still sound decent.

They sound quite similar to the bigger LS50 for the mid and highs, but not as clean and detailed, and the bass rolled off way earlier compared to LS50. (Oh what do you want? They are only half the price and does not need anything else to drive them.)

These are good for small rooms and sounds the best when you are close to them, they can get very loud if you turn up the volume but you start to trade quality for quantity when going past ~50% volume.(could be just me)

For their size they almost sounded like bigger speakers, almost.

The line in is from the Left side then connect to the right side through USB. Funny that most PC were placed on the right side, so you have this pull the cable from pc on the right side to the left speaker and another cable back to the right speaker..

There is also a 3.5mm analog input.

It would be better if the volume knob is in front.

There is also a EQ switch ( which adjust mainly the amount of bass ) that is labeled stand/desk. Just use the stand setting unless it is killing your desk.

These ones are good for their price if you factor in the fact that they have their own DAC and AMP.

Not sure what internal DAC it is using, but it is using one for each speaker as they are connected using USB.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for providing impressions comparing the X300a and the LS50s. I've been rocking the LS50s for a few months, but am going to need to "downsize" soon when I go to grad school. Sounds like the X300s might be worth splurging on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back