KEF Mu7 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #152 of 176
Have you tried px8?
I tried the PX7 S2 and the earpads are really too small - really liked the sound though. PX8 has the same size earpads / ear cups. So that was ruled out from the start, unfortunately. Comfort is very important as one of the main use cases is on long airplane flights.

Now if B&W released a PX9 with much bigger ear cups, that would be gold! I do otherwise like the B&W house sound. (and I wonder if they will release a PX9, given that their top of the line used to be the P9 - seems like the deliberately called it the PX8 to leave room for something even higher in the line-up).

Ideally something that can match my Fidelio X2HR in comfort (I can wear those all day) :)

Or maybe Dan Clark Audio will release a wireless ANC version of one of their headphones - I've heard they're all super comfortable. Can you imagine - a wireless planar - will probably be heavy AF to have enough battery power to drive those planars.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #154 of 176
Does anyone know why there are no reviews about this product? Also, many sites on the internet state these headphones will be released at the end of November. Kinda strange since there’s a pair on my head right now haha🤔
KEF's marketing budget is probably close to $0.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #155 of 176
I don't think people even know that another sub-$500 BT ANC headphones exist. No thanks to KEF.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #156 of 176
I don't think people even know that another sub-$500 BT ANC headphones exist. No thanks to KEF.
Yeah and it's too bad. It's a good pair of headphones.

Their finance department will probably go "we're not selling any of these, let's kill the whole headphone business". Yeah, no crap if you're not marketing it at all. I only found out by accident that this was even coming to market.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #157 of 176
Hi,

My Kef mu7's arrived today and as this forum seems to be one of the only places users are sharing their opinions on these headphones, I thought I'd add mine here too. Hopefully, it's of some help to others.

First off, don't judge the Headphone straight out of the box. I listened quickly and then left them plugged playing music for about six hours, over this time l the top end opens up and they become more coherent overall.

I don't have any expensive headphones, but I can compare the Kef's to my headphones below. Most of my listening is to Pod casts, Youtube etc and the occasional music. I consider myself an audiophile but use my main system for music listening. I just did a quick comparison listening to vocals as if you are a Harbeth fan like me, Alun Shaw says if you can get voices to sound right, everything else will fall into place. All of the below is with a cable:

Bose QC25 - My long-term impression of this headphone is the midrange is a bit too thick and congested. They also sound better with the ANC turned on, as without it they sound a bit recessed and flat. Listening to vocals the high end has a bit of ringing/sound a bit peaky, they also sound lean. The ANC does a good job and the system itself doesn't seem to make a noise when switched on.

Sony Wi 1000X (earbuds with a neckband battery pack) - My long-term impression of this headphone is that it's decent, the sound is clean, but also a bit too clean with not enough body. Listening to vocals, they don't have much body and can sound a bit echoey / have a nasal sound to them.

Kef mu7 - After listening to the above you immediately notice the removal of the intrusive high-end/exaggerated top end and you can focus on the midrange which is more natural and broader (From top to bottom), without becoming heavy or bloated, it has a more fuller sound that the bose on speech.

I'm still learning the controls but I do like that with the cable, it sounds the same whether ANC is on or not. I have noticed that when the ANC is switched on, at first it deadens all sound, then it switches off and you can hear a slight high end hiss (in a quiet room, with no sound playing through the headphones, this completely vanishes when music is played)

What I need to get used to is that with the cable plugged in, the power light does not switch on, but the ANC button seems to work. I just find this confusing as with the Boss there is a switch and a light that lets you know if it's on or now. I just worry that I'll be inadvertently draining the battery.

Also, as other comments its not as sensitive as other headphones but I find it loud enough...it might benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #158 of 176
Hi,

I thought I'd give an update on my post above. In hindsight, I was too quick to post my thoughts...At that time they had been used for 6-7 hours, I then left them playing music overnight and the next day before listening again. I can say that over this time the headphones improved massively and became a lot more cohesive. I've also the headphone became slightly more sensitive, so any comments about the headphones not being loud may be related to this initial burn-in period.

I would say that the headphones have a natural, balanced sound, and because of this, I'm listening longer and noticing more details in the music. Most of my listening is to podcasts/vocals, I have listened to music too, and at no point is my attention drawn to one particular aspect of the sound. I would say though that if you are used to listening to bass-heavy headphones these may sound "light".

I have also found that when using my phone the headphones sound better via Bluetooth. I don't think my phone has the "guts" to drive the headphones properly. I haven't made extensive A-B comparisons but I didn't get any issues with the headphone output of my cheap sony walkman (NWZ-A15).

I'm now interested in improving the quality of the portable system but as I spend most of my time listening to Youtube, Spotify etc I'm not sure what the best method is. Is an external DAC the way forward?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #159 of 176
I'm now interested in improving the quality of the portable system but as I spend most of my time listening to Youtube, Spotify etc I'm not sure what the best method is. Is an external DAC the way forward?

I'd say don't waste your money.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #160 of 176
I recommend upgrade your sony walkman. Because NWZ-A15 is a little old.
If you consider to upgrade it, you can get information from reviews sites, Headfonics and Headfonia.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #162 of 176
It was a lovely day, I was grooving in the music, and PAAP! Cracks formed. I think it would be my old habit in V-Moda M100 (they are military grade!) that cracks the plastic. (I would like to position the headphone like a DJ, with a side behind my ear, to listen to conversation.

KEF maintenance center called me and they said they are looking to it. An refund or Return is possible. I am still worried on the plastic inside headband. (The Metal Structure in headband is well built and without cracks, but for me not as tough as M100.)
Same old cracks.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #164 of 176
It cracks again.
Bummer, dude. But are you still wearing these DJ style, akimbo with one cup behind your ear? If so, then that seems to be the culprit.

There's a reason why DJs wear headphones such as the Sony 7506, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and the Beyerdynamic DT 770s. They're built like tanks and can be abused. It's obvious the KEFs aren't designed to be worn or tossed about like DJ headphones.

Hope you get the same level of customer service as you did the first time!

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #165 of 176
12 weeks old. Not Happy

Don't know where I stand now. Bought from a hifi shop via Amazon, don't really want to get these again as its obviously a design flaw. Hardly used them. I'm tamping.

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_090601.jpg
    IMG_20230208_090601.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230208_090725.jpg
    IMG_20230208_090725.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back