KEF M500 versus Martin Logan Mikros 90
Aug 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #46 of 63
  This should be moved to the portable headphones thread if any moderators are paying attention.  It is an older thread but still very valuable to the community.

I agree. Mr @Curawong might be watching :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #48 of 63
But the Mikros are so ugly! At least the KEF destroys them on that front.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 63
  Sonically, however, the Mikros 90 provide a much more holistic, detailed and musically truthful performance, IMHO.

I agree (although I fought with you about it earlier lol). The 90's have better SQ.. period. The M500's have good/great SQ, but much better comfort.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #51 of 63
Wayne, does this mean that we are talking again?  
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #52 of 63
Mar 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #54 of 63
I don't do well with high clamp factor on-ear, typically it hurts very much. I tried the M500 today and it was very comfortable, almost slightly loose. Is the Mikros really that much tighter? If so, and I know this is difficult, but using a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being very comfortable to wear, and 5 being possibly painful to wear, where do you both rate these headphones? Thanks.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #55 of 63
I don't do well with high clamp factor on-ear, typically it hurts very much. I tried the M500 today and it was very comfortable, almost slightly loose. Is the Mikros really that much tighter? If so, and I know this is difficult, but using a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being very comfortable to wear, and 5 being possibly painful to wear, where do you both rate these headphones? Thanks.

Everyone's tolerance is different. I have come to the conclusion that I have fairly low tolerance for on ears in general. As far as on ear comfort goes, I'd rate the m500's at 1.5 (ie very comfortable, and can wear them for hours), but they are too loose on the head for true portable use. The m90's to me are at 4.25 (ie can't wear them for more than an hour). Similar to the dt1350's (I really wish I didn't have a problem with them). Btw, my ksc75's on parts express headband get a "1" for comfort and actually sound ridiculously good for the $20 price lol (but no isolation at all).

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #57 of 63
This is a headphone that surely needs an amp to reach anywhere near its potential ( I often run it portably with a JDS C5D or Cayin C5 via microstreamer). It needs current to really hear what it can do and a decent dac will reveal its surprising clarity, soundstage, imaging etc. Great piece of gear especially at the current price. Without an amp my On 1 is much more enjoyable but feed the Mikros juice and it starts pulling ahead especially with a light bass boost from either of the above devices. Best $80 I've spent in this hobby!

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #59 of 63
Never hear the Mikros, but picked up a new KEF M500 and it sounds fantastic. I have a feeling we would not be dealing with much beyond sound signature preferences between these headphones. After all, why would Martin Logan possess this secret to headphone design that nobody else can get right? Makes no sense. They certainly didn't come up with new technology did they? No, it is a straight up dynamic driver headphone and I'm sure the quality of these would be rather similar so logically it is going to be sound signature differences more than anything. Otherwise, what specifically have ML done that nobody else has managed to figure out? I get that the voicing of the Mikros is excellent, but it stands to reason there will be a great deal of subjective personal preference at play and it also is quite logical and possible to assume that other well designed headphones can achieve this level of quality sound reproduction. I just struggle with the idea that only ML has discovered this secret approach that nobody else can figure out. I guess that is possible, but it still seems improbable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back