KEF LS50 w/ Rotel RA-11 --- matching sub recommendations?
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 21
REL subwoofers are a bit overpriced. Rythmik Audio makes great sealed subs that are better values than REL.

Was more based in terms of Europe, though REL is pretty expensive over here too, but most US sub direct companies are not obtainable this side of the pond. REL subs are designed to be very fast and musical in order to improve stereo integration.

In the US you have a lot more subwoofer options. I haven't heard Rythmik subs yet, but hear they are highly rated. Unfortunately I don't think they export and once you export they quickly lose their value proposition. SVS even with the high shipping charges still offer decent value for money and they have excellent customer service.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 21
Apologies for thread necro, but like to add a couple of points.

The LS50 definitely needs a fast sub, so I would definitely suggest a sealed sub, though I've heard reports of good matching with REL subwoofers, which always tended to be a bit more musical. I'm using a Velodyne 12" SPL-1200 Ultra with my LS50s and have the KEFs crossed over at 80Hz and it integrates quite well, though the Velodyne does lag a smidgen. I think the 10" might be better due to the smaller driver, without really sacrificing that much on the low end. The interesting thing is that I've found the LS50s improved in sound when removing the low bass load on them. It seems to play a touch cleaner in the upper mids. If I was in Europe I'd look at the B&W ASW610 as a minimum in a smaller room as it is also quite musical, but doesn't offer much extension in the lows. The REL T7 would probably be be ideal. I have dual SVS SB-13 Ultras on my radar for the future.
Not quite “holy thread revival, Batman!“ territory yet, but it's been a while. :wink:

Thanks for the input. I did try out positioning the speakers differently and it lead to quite a bit more low end from the LS50. Add to that the McIntosh MHA-100 I bought today and I don't think I need a subwoofer after all. At least not right now.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 21
Was more based in terms of Europe, though REL is pretty expensive over here too, but most US sub direct companies are not obtainable this side of the pond. REL subs are designed to be very fast and musical in order to improve stereo integration.

In the US you have a lot more subwoofer options. I haven't heard Rythmik subs yet, but hear they are highly rated. Unfortunately I don't think they export and once you export they quickly lose their value proposition. SVS even with the high shipping charges still offer decent value for money and they have excellent customer service.

You are right. Europe is not the greatest place to buy subwoofers.

BTW: You might want to see these myths about subwoofers, particularly related to "fast" vs. "slow" (#3): http://www.data-bass.com/myths. That REL subs "are designed to be very fast and musical in order to improve stereo integration" is marketing buzzword hype. Not saying that they aren't good (although overpriced. If a sub has good frequency response curve, decent impulse response, lack of cabinet resonance, and low distortion, it will sound "musical" as long as it is enough sub for the room and the listening volume. There are other subs that can do that well :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 21
Not quite “holy thread revival, Batman!“ territory yet, but it's been a while.
wink.gif

Thanks for the input. I did try out positioning the speakers differently and it lead to quite a bit more low end from the LS50. Add to that the McIntosh MHA-100 I bought today and I don't think I need a subwoofer after all. At least not right now.

Well now I'm quite sorry!
biggrin.gif
 That sure is one drool worthy piece of equipment for your KEF LS50s. Sure it must sound superb! Positioning them correctly does indeed help quite a bit, but I do like the added punch a sub provides.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 21
Well now I'm quite sorry! :D  That sure is one drool worthy piece of equipment for your KEF LS50s. Sure it must sound superb! Positioning them correctly does indeed help quite a bit, but I do like the added punch a sub provides.
I already had the chance to listen to it with LS50 in the shop, in a proper listening room with 60 square meters, and it was stunning. Now awaiting delivery and then it will sit proudly in our living room. Can't wait!

And, as my girlfriend already figured out, upgraditis will kick in again. It might just take longer with better and better gear. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back