Keeping Your Ears Clean?
Apr 18, 2005 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

dominator

100+ Head-Fier
Well, a while ago my ears started feeling kind of funny, like there was always something in them and they were plugged up.

I had the problem for a long time and it wouldn't go away. Eventually I thought I must have tintinnitus, an ear infection, or some other problem, so I went to the doctor. He said nothing was wrong with my ear and flushed out all the wax with those big syringe things and then it felt better after a couple of days.

But, now the problem has come back after a few months, and I'm assuming it's still because of wax in my ears.

So, my question is: how do I keep my ears clean without going to the doctors office every couple of months?

I've tried putting some mineral oil in them, but it never really helped all that much.

Is there anything else I can do without a trip to the doctor?
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 40
Go to your local drug store and ask for a ear wax removal kit. Should be about $7.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
Go to your local drug store and ask for a ear wax removal kit. Should be about $7.

You can get a kit?

What is it? Is it just some droplets, or does it actually come with a syringe or something for getting rid of the wax?

I just need to know so if I go and ask for one and they don't know what I'm talking about I won't end up saying that I don't know either and leave.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly
Have you tried any of these earwax removers?

Hmm, well, I remember a while ago I had these droplets for removing wax specifically... I'm sure it's the same idea. But, I found that although they help, they never get rid of all the wax, no matter how much you use them, plus you're not supposed to use them for more then a few days.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 40
It is not safe to get rid of all of your ear wax. It is there for a reason. The ear wax removal kits remove a substantial amount. You should give them a try.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
It is not safe to get rid of all of your ear wax. It is there for a reason. The ear wax removal kits remove a substantial amount. You should give them a try.

Oh. Is there anything else in them besides droplets though... because I've already tried that and they didn't really work.

I think my problem is that I have er6i headphones and some ER15 musicians earplugs, and those things push and compress all the wax into the bottom of my ear canal and make it feel uncomfortable.

Is there any way to get around this kind of thing?

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Oh. Is there anything else in them besides droplets though... because I've already tried that and they didn't really work.

I think my problem is that I have er6i headphones and some ER15 musicians earplugs, and those things push and compress all the wax into the bottom of my ear canal and make it feel uncomfortable.

Is there any way to get around this kind of thing?

I had the same problem. My ears produce a lot of wax. So my shures kept compressing the wax and pushing down the canal. I had to sell them because of this. All I've tried is the droplets and it only helped the situation slightly.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I had the same problem. My ears produce a lot of wax. So my shures kept compressing the wax and pushing down the canal. I had to sell them because of this. All I've tried is the droplets and it only helped the situation slightly.

Oh man, really? That sucks.

I hope that doesn't happen to me, I really like my er6i's, and I actually need the ER 15's because I do a lot of loud musical stuff at school and I want to protect my hearing.

Well, hopefully those kits will help I guess. If not I guess I'll go to the doctor again and see if he can suggest anything else.

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 40
Yeah if those kits don't help it is time to visit the man in the white coat...

And yes, my friend's doctor (my friend also has an earwax problem) echoed the sentiment that ***some*** earwax is supposed to be there, so those solutions should not get rid of all of the earwax, just the excessive amounts.

Good luck!

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 40
I don't know anything about ear wax, but is it possible that you have some other condition like a minor ear infection, improper drainage, etc?

If not, I saw an interesting thing at my friend's place awhile back. They're paper cones (think cotton candy stick.) You put the pointy end in your ear and light the other end on fire, I'm serious. Supposedly it sucks up all the wax via capilary (or something similar) action. He tried them and said they work really well. It is recommended to poke the cone through a paper plate though so you don't light you hair on fire accidently (I'm serious about that part too)
600smile.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
You put the pointy end in your ear and light the other end on fire

you [size=medium]WHAT??![/size]

looks like we've got the first head-fi lawsuit in the making here
eek.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 40
Just put my headphones on and play some bass test track. I can feel the vax fall off my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Naah just kidding. Every now and then I use those cotton wool sticks to get the wax off my ears.

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 40
Ear wax is supposed to naturally come out by itself.

Warm showers and stuff should soften earwax and help it come out.

Remember, don't stick your finger or q-tip in too deep; you'll just shove wax deeper into your ear and compact it, and/or risk damaging your ear drum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back