keep the ER6i's or upgrade to ER4's?
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbforever05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I must agree with that. It is certainly easy to overlook what you have and wonder what new and better thing you could replace it with. I really enjoy the ER6i and will probably continue to use it for the foreseeable future, especially since I am in college and have limited funds.

fwiw, i prefer my er6i to my livewires customs straight out of the ipod (VBR AAC files mostly). however, when properly amped and listening to lossless files, the livewires is noticeably better...

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 27
I got my ER4s phones as replacements for my Sony 51s. I really liked the extra noise reduction I got with the foam inserts. However, at 100 ohms impedance and with a low sensitivity, I had to really crank up my Ipod (4G) to get any volume. As well, the bass response was so poor I couldn't hear the distortion you get with the Ipod when selecting a bass boost EQ setting.

I switched to a Sure e4c, then to a UltimateEar Super Fi 5 Pro's to get even more bass. Finally, to get the best of sound isolation and bass, I ended up with the Sure 500c's.

I still use the Sony 51s, UltimateEar SuperFi's, Sure 4c's and Sure 500c's. I don't use the Etymotic ER4s's.

Go with your ears.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 27
I'm actually thinking of buying some ER-6i's. Can anyone tell me legitimate sites that sell online and that will ship internationally? To Australia? I've seen them for half the RRP ($75ish) on Amazon and Ebay, and want to know if these would be authentic. Also....what is the normal cost for a pair of ER-4s? Are they too discounted?

Thanks,

T

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomomofo4130 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually thinking of buying some ER-6i's. Can anyone tell me legitimate sites that sell online and that will ship internationally? To Australia? I've seen them for half the RRP ($75ish) on Amazon and Ebay, and want to know if these would be authentic. Also....what is the normal cost for a pair of ER-4s? Are they too discounted?

Thanks,

T

Those are authentic. You know you're getting the real thing if it says "ships from and sold by Amazon.com" under the price. If you're dealing with a reseller, it's like anything you buy anywhere that you can't verify it with your own eyes.

The ER4P's on Amazon are $169.99 (from Amazon themselves, and a bit lower from resellers.)

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 27
I just got my ER4Ps yesterday and have to say, YES, the upgrade is very much worthwhile! The difference between the 4P and 6i is pretty drastic in terms of clarity and soundstage. It was shocking, actually, but not in the way I expected. I put them on, listened, and liked what I heard. Then I tried my 6i's again and was completely shocked at how flat and lifeless they sounded in comparison. The 4Ps actually changed how I listened that quickly - I thought the 6i's sounded amazing until then. Now I've been listening for hours to various things and am amazed at things that I can pick up that I've never heard before - a bit ago I just heard drummer Manu Katche take a deep breath before a difficult passage on his album, Playground. So, be warned - if you don't want to hear things like this, stay away from these! I, however, LOVE it!

My Shure E3C/SCL3 are up on Ebay if anyone happens to want them. I didn't realize I can't sell here until I've been here a month and had 50 posts. Look for user 'zbsman' if interested (sorry I don't have the link - I'm at work and can't get to ebay). They're available for $75, free shipping in the US.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 27
I had a similar experience to you, Malnar. I owned and dearly loved a pair of ER6i's for almost a year until I literaly destroyed them by constantly pulling them out by the cable.

I decided to upgrade with my next purchase and got a pair of ER4p's with a p/s cable. The difference was night and day. I listened to them for hours and hours on end. Eventually I sold them, of course, and downgraded to something else I could wear while laying down on my side, but I miss their sound every time I put in my UM1's. The UM2's, on the other hand...

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 27
The only thing I don't like about ER6is is that they are white.
tongue.gif
That's the only thing making me thing of ER4Ps.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I don't like about ER6is is that they are white.
tongue.gif
That's the only thing making me thing of ER4Ps.

Then get the black version of ER6i
wink.gif

But I agree with what many have said in this thread, the ER4p is a VERY worthwhile upgrade over the ER6i. Another positive thing about the ER4p is that I find it easier to get a good fit than with the ER6i.

As I was listening to the 4s yesterday I got all excited about how good it sounded, straight out of a Nano! I was thinking that this headphone must be a prime contendant for the "best sound compared to price" contest. Especially at the prices of around $150.

Yes, they get better with amplification and the P>S-adapter but I love them "naked" with a simple Nano.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #25 of 27
Upgrade to the ER4, hands down.

(I have listened both)

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then get the black version of ER6i
wink.gif

True. But I already have the white ER6i since when it came out.

I would just get the ER4P just because it's black though.
tongue.gif
not because it sounds better. I have a desire to be less noticible now.

Does the ER4P have less bass (or is more neutral) than ER6i? In the graphs, the ER6i was supposed to have upped bass. What are your actual impressions?

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the ER4P have less bass (or is more neutral) than ER6i? In the graphs, the ER6i was supposed to have upped bass. What are your actual impressions?

From my memory it is more about a more controlled bass (ER4P) than big differences in bass quantity between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back