Keep the EF2 or get a Heed or EF1?
Oct 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zmatrix

New Head-Fier
Ok...so I finally decided to venture into desktop amp territory after doing mostly portable for some time (coming from 530s amped with the RSA Hornet, pre-M and the ipod).

I did some reading and figured that the EF2 was a good start. Being that it was $200 and included a DAC as my source was a PC, I figured it wouldnt be too much of an investment so I just jumped in and ordered it.

Well see, earlier in the year, I made a post about why my 530s did not sound as bright as my SR60s nor my 580s and I didnt appreciate the sound, or moreso, could not understand why these iems were one of the best on the market.

After some suggestions of listening exclusively on these for a week and then going back to my cans, I came to really appreciate the soundstaging the 530s had. (Forgive my lack of using the correct terminology) I could hear the instruments further outside around me. The mids seem fuller and the music seems more balanced with the vocals - even though it lacked detail in the hgihs, I found myself likeing it more than my cans for some reason. So I decided that I wanted that sound in some new cans as I found the 580 lacking.

It boiled down to either the 650 and the 702s. I've read that both were hard to drive but I decided to go with the 702s since I already have the 580s. I ordered these phones not really paying attention to the fact that the EF2 was on its way.

I feel that in my haste to upgrade, I didnt do enough reading and now in hindsight after do more research, a majority of the people recommend the Heed to pair with this phone and it also does wonders for the 650 which I plan to get sometime in the future.

So now my dilema is this:

Do I ride it out with the EF2 even though its not quite the amp/DAC for the 702s and wait until I get settled with the full burn-in and then upgrade or should I just jump straight for the Heed? If I do, will I be missing out on this tube sound or is the EF2 not really the right level of tube amp for this level of headphone? Also - which DAC (source is PC) should I get to pair with the Heed - on board like the 0404 or something else?

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 9
I think maybe you should've gone with the EF1. The EF1 is actually recommended a lot for the K701/2s. There's even a review of the EF1 vs the Heed Canamp using the K701 to test them. The reviewer said they both were extremely close and he even preferred the EF1 over the Heed. Here's the link...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ef1...pdated-428108/

I have not read any reviews of the K701/2 and the EF2 though, this is the first time.

From what I've read the EF1 delivers more current than the EF2 and current is exactly what the K702s need the most. I drove my K702s with my EF1 and it was absolutely spectacular. I only sold them to venture to other headphone brands before completely settling on a single headphone. I sometimes miss the HUGE sound stage and clarity of the K702s. Nothing else has ever come close to the K702s with acoustic instruments, classical, symphonic/instrumental, and new age music to me.

Also, I don't know what tubes come stock with the EF2 but I absolutely hated the RCA clear top that came with the EF1. I was very close to returning the EF1. It wasn't til after I rolled tubes that I really started to enjoy it. If you bought it directly from Head-Direct then you can still probably return it for the EF1 or your money back. They have a 30 day return/exchange policy I believe.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the link TLY. I initially went with the Heed because it was better with the bass and from what others mentioned, the bass was lacking. I am concerned that the EF1 and Heed actually sound very different and I would miss out.

So if considering the EF1 - what tube did you replace the stock with? Did that help the low end? My 702s just began the breaking in process so i cant tell what I am really hearing. I am still leaning towards the Heed as its seems more tried and true than the EF1s.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I feel that in my haste to upgrade, I didnt do enough reading and now in hindsight after do more research, a majority of the people recommend the Heed to pair with this phone and it also does wonders for the 650 which I plan to get sometime in the future.

hm, i think most of what i've read suggests the opposite, you don't usually see people recommending the heed for sennheisers.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Thanks for the link TLY. I initially went with the Heed because it was better with the bass and from what others mentioned, the bass was lacking. I am concerned that the EF1 and Heed actually sound very different and I would miss out.

So if considering the EF1 - what tube did you replace the stock with? Did that help the low end? My 702s just began the breaking in process so i cant tell what I am really hearing. I am still leaning towards the Heed as its seems more tried and true than the EF1s.

They probably will sound a bit different. With the EF1, since it's a hybrid, you get a bit of a taste of tubes while still getting the current output of a Solid State amp. The RCA, I found sounded bright and similar to a Solid state, which was not what I was looking for. I switched the RCA with a Sylvania Grey Plate and the sound stage really opened up, and there was also better instrument separation. When I rolled in the Sylvania, thats when I REALLY heard the massive sound stage everyone was talking about with the K701/2. I can't say that it made a huge difference with the low end though. I didn't hear much difference. There's also a tube rolling thread for the EF1 if you're interested in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...on-ef1-408635/

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm, i think most of what i've read suggests the opposite, you don't usually see people recommending the heed for sennheisers.

really? i need to go back and read more - i could of sworn reading that the heed powered and went well with the 650s...

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They probably will sound a bit different. With the EF1, since it's a hybrid, you get a bit of a taste of tubes while still getting the current output of a Solid State amp. The RCA, I found sounded bright and similar to a Solid state, which was not what I was looking for. I switched the RCA with a Sylvania Grey Plate and the sound stage really opened up, and there was also better instrument separation. When I rolled in the Sylvania, thats when I REALLY heard the massive sound stage everyone was talking about with the K701/2. I can't say that it made a huge difference with the low end though. I didn't hear much difference. There's also a tube rolling thread for the EF1 if you're interested in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...on-ef1-408635/

I'll check this out. thanks.

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 9
You were using the 58 out of a portable amp and didnt like them? For you information the 580 are as hard to drive as the 600/650.
You should really give the 580 a goo listen when you get the EF2, many people like the 580/600 better than the 650 because they are more balanced.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
You'll be very happy with the Heed and the 702. Congrats. I don't care for the 650 with the Heed, however, the Heed is great with my Grados. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back