Keep or Sell Utopias
Feb 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

GShaikun

New Head-Fier
I am not particularly happy with my new/used Focal Utopia's.
(this is re-post, I had mistakenly put on buy/sell page, thanks to those who already responded)

Question: One more thing to try before giving up, cable replacement, but it will cost

After more than 2-300 hours of break in, which did make a very big difference indeed, I'd still describe the sound as too often , hard edged, very detailed but lacking in bloom and warmth. VERY good bass indeed but there's just something missing that makes a great many recordings not the pleasure this effort at TOTL/End Game was meant to be

Headamp:
Auris HA2 SE with Mullards (Absolute Sound review's fave for the Utopia's)
Source:
SONY HAP Z1ES with mostly red book or better, though some lossy files that actually sound pretty good via the SONY. Soon to be replaced with already purchased Naim ND5 SX2.

But the Focals, while WAY better after break in, than at first, just aren't there at least for my ears. I can switch to my Hifman HE560 via a Schiit Lyr (my desktop setup) and just be happy as a clam for hours without thinking about the chain of components and just enjoying the music. No, they certainly don't have the detail, image width or depth, but they are consistently a pleasure on almost all music.

So, anyone there care to venture an opinion: They did NOT come with stock cable, I believe this is an audioquest cable

1. sell cause I'll never like them or
2. Consider an upgrade to cable that could indeed make them the end game set up I was aiming for?? (thinking about Danacable lazuli reference for another big additional investment)

Thanks for any experience/input.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 16
My guess is that if you don't like them right now, the cable won't make a big enough difference to make you like them. In my experience, cables make minor changes relative to the difference between headphones. From reading the forums, it sounds like you might have better luck with Meze Empyreans if you're looking for bloom and warmth.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 16
You won't ever like them. Based on your description, I probably wouldn't ever like them either.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd still describe the sound as too often , hard edged, very detailed but lacking in bloom and warmth. VERY good bass indeed but there's just something missing that makes a great many recordings not the pleasure this effort at TOTL/End Game was meant to be
Based upon this comment i think you should dump the Utopias and look into a ZMF headphone. I also agree that a cable swap will not change the nature of a headphone, and if you dont like them now you most likely never will.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys pretty much the majority opinion I will listen a bit longer, I do have a cable coming but I get 30 days for full refund (danacable lazuli reference) I'll keep in mind both the ZMF's and the Meze. Got the Utopias with a few hours use on them for half price so I should be able to sell them at no loss. Had to try them at that price. I'll stick with the Auris for the headamp.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 16
I did not care for the Utopias myself, neither did I care for the Stellia...Not my sound signature preference. Great HP not for me, sell them and move on to a warmer more fun and musically tuned HP, Learn to stay away from stuff tuned for "Audiophile" ears and enjoy.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 16
Yep Nick, I'm concluding I fall into the same category as you. My Lyr 3/multibit feeding my $700 Hifiman HE560's give me endless happiness and satisfaction, fed by Tidal, Qobuz, and ripped files at my desktop, where I often listen for several hours at at time with no fatigue and thoroughly enjoying what I hear almost 100% of the time. So far the Utopia's are just too "thin". Voices come at you as if the person were skinny and that made their voice thinner. Need a little more of the creamier part of a note or sound. Yes the detail and things like bass clarity are extraordinary but at the price of beauty. This was true via the Lyr hybrid, my older all tube Antique Sound Lab head amp and the newer very substantial Auris HA2 SE. I kind of felt that way in a demo of the Sabrina's (though nary a harsh sound there) vs the Sonus Faber Nova Olympica iii's I bought. More beauty, spectacular sound stage that's truly holographic, and not too many recordings that sound poor (and if they do I think safe to conclude its the recording). Incredible neutrality with the Sabrina's, but a little less magic at least in the demo I had. Recording example say Daniel Lozakavich doing Beethoven Violin Concerto (DG) Just wonderful performance and recording on my Hifiman desktop, loses the magic with the Utopia's an either of my headamps (Auris or Lyr). Good but not great. Goal at this crazy price points is not being able to remove the headphones because it sounds that damn wonderful! Ditto on Jarrett's Koln, just loses some of the magic that extra bit of feeling that I get from Jarrett's fingers to my brain.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Utopia is a great technically capable headphone, but if you didn't like its sonic signature already, replacing its cable will rarely be a solution. Based on what you describe, many aftermarket cable lover folks will recommend you some sort of copper cables to give you warmth, but I highly doubt that it will make any obvious differences. Folks who loves to experiment with DACs may recommend you some very organic sources including R2R DACs, but it may still not be enough to make differences. For low to medium impedance cans at 80 ohm, the warm/organic OTL tube amps won't bring its warmth in vocal. I too have been there and I did audition Utopia for fairly extensively, but settled on something slightly different. I think it represent very delicate and balanced sonic signature in Focal line, but it may not be for everyone and it doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Perhaps, you should looking in to return, trade, or sell your Utopia for something with much more warm and more natural (organic) sounding, such as Rosson Rad-0, ZMF Verite, or Meze Empyrean to name few.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 16
Utopia is a great technically capable headphone, but if you didn't like its sonic signature already, replacing its cable will rarely be a solution. Based on what you describe, many aftermarket cable lover folks will recommend you some sort of copper cables to give you warmth, but I highly doubt that it will make any obvious differences. Folks who loves to experiment with DACs may recommend you some very organic sources including R2R DACs, but it may still not be enough to make differences. For low to medium impedance cans at 80 ohm, the warm/organic OTL tube amps won't bring its warmth in vocal. I too have been there and I did audition Utopia for fairly extensively, but settled on something slightly different. I think it represent very delicate and balanced sonic signature in Focal line, but it may not be for everyone and it doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Perhaps, you should looking in to return, trade, or sell your Utopia for something with much more warm and more natural (organic) sounding, such as Rosson Rad-0, ZMF Verite, or Meze Empyrean to name few.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 16
Yep im
Coming to that conclusion. I have a cable coming but csnretirn within 30 days. I’ll go through this last audition then very possibly rerun cable and sell utopias. No doubt a great many fold find them the all out ultimate but not tickling my brain so far. Thanks for your input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back