Keep LCD 3 or LCD 2?
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hyperism

Head-Fier
I have both of them and they are of a similar signature, obviously. I do like the LCD 3, there's a little more hump and the highs and mids are better.

Both are amazing headphones and I'm coming from HD700s and HD650s (I'm keeping the HD700 because I also like that sound signature).

Any opinions appreciated.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 14
It seems you already answered your own question :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Kind of :)
I just want to know if the small difference is worth the extra $750?

I may need to get a DAC for my Woo WA7 and maybe a nice cable for the LCD 2, so looking to maximize the finance spent.

Also I am afraid that the LCD 3 may have planar driver problems, from reading the many posts here.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't know how wealthy you are. Is 750 US Dollar lots of money to you?
If you think the difference is small but you can easily afford them than why not keep them? 
If you were me, meaning not having that much money to spend, you probably would sell the LCD3s 
Luckily you are you and you don't have to sell them 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Good point :)

I see these as an investment which I can always sell later, even if I lose $50-100 on resale. I got the LCD3 for $1500 and see it as an investment that will last for a long time along with my HD700.

I just wanted to hear a straight opinion on both headphones to see if the 20% to 30% of difference in mids and highs are worth it. I always want to have just 1 headphone and not worry about "upgrading to the bestesttttttttt" all the time.

There are a lot of threads about them and the opinions are kind of scattered.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 14
In my limited experience trying them, I prefer the lcd3. Then the "worth $750 more?" question does come down to the individual. I agree with the above poster that it depends on what the specific individual can afford and wants to afford. And how important it is to the person, too. Like, I could afford the $5 ketchup, but I don't care enough to do so, just give me the $2 bottle. We all value our different categories differently.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 14
True. But semantics aside, I look for value, IE, is the $750 going to bring me more joy? Will it retain it's resale value? It seems yes so I'll keep it.

I just wanted to get headphones that were dark like the HD650 but more powerful, obviously. My other option was the HE1000 but that is too expensive and I don't like the look of it.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 14
I just love the LCD3's they're so silky smooth. Listening to Time Out by Brubeck at the moment and even though the soundstage of the HD700 is much wider, the LCD3 feels like you're in it and it's extremely engaging.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 14
I actually like the LCD2's more. I listened to both fazor models and found the LCD3's treble sounded slightly rough.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 14
I just got my LCD-2 fazor and do notice a difference with the higher model (XC is an improvement), but for me i don't want to pay 1000 more for the LCD-3.  Thats just me though. Money is scarce for me. But off course if I could afford it, why not? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back