Keep HD650 or HD700
Mar 18, 2015 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hyperism

Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I have an Fiio E09+E17 combo (lo pass enabled) and HD650 with burn in about 50hrs so far. I just ordered the HD700 and haven't received it yet. I also have the Ultrasone 780 for a few years.

My question is, the HD650 sounds a bit "muddy" and reading about it more (before and after purchase) it rings true by other users. It seems like certain instruments hit a note and don't do a fall off so it just peaks and "blows out". But certain notes sound really amazing and I can hear things I've never heard before with my favorite music. I plan to get a better amp in the future, but the question is, should I wait for the HD700 to come in and try that as well and return one of them? Or just return the HD650 and keep the HD700 when it gets in? I know they are totally different beasts, but wondering....

I listen to everything you can think of from avant garde, classical, classic rock, experimental, etc....I have a lossless collection from my own CD rips and my mp3s are usually 320. I'm not a basshead, I like quality music.

Also how come the HD650 is harder to drive than the HD700? And if I invest in a better amp and cable (for HD650) i'm sure it will push it even further....so is there more room to grow with HD650 than HD700?

I love some things with the HD650 and hate some things with them. I guess there is no perfect headphone? I don't think I can keep both, since I also have an Ultrasone 780 for my portable needs (great set of headphones, but not as "detailed" as the HD650 so far.

Help appreciated.

h

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 7
If you think the HD650 sound "muddy" you will always probably think that. The headphone overall is a dark, treble rolled off headphone. Also, both headphones supposedly scale really well. I have only owned the HD650 and tried it with the E17, Little Dot MK III, Aune T1, so I can't comment on the HD700, but in the appreciation thread that's the general consensus. So, just try both for a bit, see if you can get used to the treble of the HD700, and decide if it's worth.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for the reply. I do like the 650's and I have a very good ear and this headphone is very nuanced and probably needs a much better Amp than the E09+E17 to push it further.

How far does the HD700 scale? I haven't received it yet to have a head to head (pun intended) comparison. I'm running out of the HD650 return policy, so I have to figure this out soon. I mean I got a great deal on the 650's ($290) and for the 700 ($550) both new, so not complaining. I may sell the 700 though if I keep the 650. Every review I read on the 700 it says that the high's are really really high, and I do like high's, but to a moderation.

Also if I get this, will I have better headphone output? I want to get a nice set of stereo speakers. Can't find any specs on the headphone ohm output.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 7

** My question is, the HD650 sounds a bit "muddy" and reading about it more (before and after purchase) it rings true by other users. It seems like certain instruments hit a note and don't do a fall off so it just peaks and "blows out". But certain notes sound really amazing and I can hear things I've never heard before with my favorite music. I plan to get a better amp in the future, but the question is, should I wait for the HD700 to come in and try that as well and return one of them? Or just return the HD650 and keep the HD700 when it gets in? I know they are totally different beasts, but wondering....

** Also how come the HD650 is harder to drive than the HD700? And if I invest in a better amp and cable (for HD650) i'm sure it will push it even further....so is there more room to grow with HD650 than HD700?

** I guess there is no perfect headphone? There is none! :)

My experience with HD650/700's isn't extensive but like you say, they're quite far apart in signature. I think they could nicely complement each other. A really generalized remark now is that you will probably find that certain music is more enjoyable with the 650 and other with the 700. Ofcourse it's the best idea to compare them head to head. Easy choice if the new one isn't doing it for you at all. What's also important is your choice of amp and dac yeah? You will hear quite a different presentation from either headphone depending on what drives it. And in a year from now when you want to try a different dac or amp you may be thinking jeez, wish I had that other headphone right now LoL!

Quick look up shows that the HD700 is 150 ohm and the HD650 300 ohm. That explains ease of driving. Is there more room to grow? My impression is that people say that quite a lot about the 650 but when I look at it down-to-earth and with what I know, not neccessarily.

Don't know about the Onkyo.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply.

So I've had some time to play with both and the reviews found on these sites are very spot on.

The HD700 is one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used - it's as if I have nothing on my head.

The sound signatures are very different - but I have to figure out a way how to keep either the HD650 or HD700. I kind of like the HD650 for a lot of my music and HD700 as well for prolonged listening - sans the super spikey highs. I got a good deal on the HD700 ($550 brand new) and would like to keep either this one or the HD650. I'd rather invest in a better amp for the HD700.

So the biggest question is should I keep the HD700 (which I really like for the soundstage and comfortability) or HD650 for it's lower price (got it for $290 new) and deeper bass with veil but room to grow with better amp?

I already have like 2 other headphones, I can't afford all these :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back