Keep a pair of headphones for Lo-Fi recordings?
Dec 16, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
It seems everyone here is striving to get more detail from their headphones. So I'm wondering how many other people keep a pair of headphones around for when they're listening to Lo-Fi recordings, such as poorly recorded/mastered cds, mp3s, streaming music, radio, etc... There are times when you want good response across the frequency spectrum but you don't want them to be too resolving. I use my PortaPros for such purpose.

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 8
Oh Yeah!! Absolutely agree! Nothing worse than trying to type or concentrate on something and having the music get in the way!

I just hate it when that happens!!

When I want to listen to tunes and nothing else, I listen to my MS2i. At other times, like right now while I'm on the computer; a pair of KSC75s with a comparable sound to the MS2s is a great way to go since they sound great also, but don't draw me so intently into the music!

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, I sure do!
I have a pair of Grado SR80's for such use...

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm. sounds like they're damning the Grados with faint praise... But it's true-- when the source is lo-fi, you want a headphone that can ooze right on over all the potholes in the source material. You'd like something flat or flattish but also a bit underdamped, and rolled off smoothly at both ends of the spectrum beginning at about 120Hz on the low end at 10kHz on the high end.

I use my trusty Coby CV-130. But a Grado SR-60 will do as well.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 8
I used to use my SR-60 for such purposes until I sold them. Then I used my HD-280, until I loaned them to the GF and realized that I'd never get them back. For now, if I have lower-bitrate stuff, I throw on the SR-225 + C-Pads. I normally prefer the sound and initimacy of the bowl pads, but for crap recordings, the muddiness, bit of soundstage, and flat-out comfort work great.

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 8
I like my RS-65s while i'm at the pc because I don't have to take them off when i get up to go do something. they are light, good overall sound tonality and when I want to watch a dvd or something on the pc, i can turn on the surround processor chip
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah... when I absolutely need some Jimi I use my HD280s or the 'mallows. Mallows make a great workout phone with 128kb/s recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back