Keep 650 and buy WA8 or buy Elear and Meridian Prime?
Feb 26, 2017 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

diver110

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to classical music and what I like to call good ballad singers, Eva Cassidy, Gretchen Peters, Willie Nelson, Elenor Mcevoy. Right now I have Sennheiser 650's. A number of hours ago I started a related thread, but after doing some more reading, I am thinking my choice is likely to get the portable Woo or go with the Elear and Meridian Prime. I don't feel like the Prime can really drive the 650's. And the dac/amp has to be relatively portable. BTW, the Prime can do mqa. Advice?

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi, 

I have the Prime plus Power Supply and the Focal Elear. It's a brilliant pairing and the Prime has mor than enough Power to drive them. As for the HD650... I don't know but never as a fan of them at all.

The issue with the Prime is exactly what you need. The DAC Amp is at least as good as Chord Hugo. The Advantage of the Prime is the actual setup - Analog In/Out and USB with separate paths. I have a Translator FatBob Turntable plugged in as well as USB via Mac - best of both worlds. And the Analog out is also very good so it can act as a lively preamp.

But there are some cons:

1. You need the Power Supply. Makes a lot of  difference!!!

2. The Prime has not enough Power to drive all of the Headphones. Stay below 100(80) Ohms. Works best with both Focals, the LCD-X, Hifiman X/1000 etc.

B

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Just based on your musical preferences, I wouldn't recommend the Elear, at least unmodded.  There are a couple mods floating around the web which use Brainwavz pads primarily, non angled are prefered.  The issue with the Elear in stock form is a dip in the lower treble that will kill all of the things that you appreciate in your music.  Just keep this in mind,.  Maybe try auditioning them first to make sure this isn't an issue for you.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 6

I don't thing the dip isn't mich of an issue. Overrated from my perspective. The great thing is about the Elear is value for money. Still think the LCD-X beats it, but it is a stunning allrounder.  In needs to break in!! 100 to 150hrs. And I Like the long Cable

I listen to a lot a different styles, i.e.:

Callas
Krall
Obel
MacDonald 
Streisand
Gardot
Swift
Bowie
Gilmour
Gabriel
Genesis
Pink Floyd
U2
MUSE
Metallica
Motörhead

Basically from Opera to Heavy Metal. And the Elear works fine

B

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the feedback. I demoed my 650s and the Elears on the Prime. I thought the Elears won handily. The 650's seemed lethargic and (as often claimed) veiled. Subsequently, I learned, though, that the Prime may be under powered for the 650's. The Woo people, FWIW, prefer the Elears.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the feedback. I demoed my 650s and the Elears on the Prime. I thought the Elears won handily. The 650's seemed lethargic and (as often claimed) veiled. Subsequently, I learned, though, that the Prime may be under powered for the 650's. The Woo people, FWIW, prefer the Elears.

Well, the HD650 is a 300ohm. Way to much for the Prime (100 to 80 and less). But for me that doesn't change much as the 650 is a lethargic veiled Headphone 
wink.gif

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back