Keces S3 Balanced Headphone Amp/DAC (ESS9026Pro) (analogue and digital inputs) (review in 2nd post)
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Don't suppose many of you have seen this, looks like a fantastic piece of kit and well worth the money. Shall see once mine arrives.

Keces_S-3_1-1140x720.jpg

http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/S-3

Introducing the S-3 DAC Headphone Amplifier & Preamplifier utilizing the high-performance ESS ES9026PRO along with a powerful balanced headphone output and a remote control for a complete audiophile desktop solution.

Features

1. High Quality Toroidal Power Transformer.

2. High-performance DAC-ESS ES9026PRO.

3. USB DAC: PCM 32 bit/384kHz and DSD DSD64(DoP)/DSD128 (DoP) DSD64/DSD128/DSD256 (ASIO Native).

4. COAXIAL/OPTICAL DAC: PCM 24 bit/192kHz and DSD DSD64(DoP).

5. Placed Balanced/Unbalanced Headphone output: Max Output Power 2000mW + 2000mW@32ohms.

6. Placed RCA/XLR Input/Output interface: Could be a Preamplifier.

7. Volume Control System: 128 step attenuator. Accurate control volume to achieve left/right channel balanced.

8. Isolation circuit: Completely separates the grounding of the digital and analog sections.

9. Volume/Source/Sampling display using OLED has excellent visibility.

10. The 4mm thickness of the aluminum chassis to effective to blocks EMI/RFI interference.

11. The full-metal body realizes both vibration control and elegant style in an A4-size body that enables placement on a desktop to be a PC HIFI system or to be a small stereo system.

Specifications

Digital Input:

COAXIAL: PCM support up to 16-24Bit /44.1kHz、48kHz、88.2kHz、96kHz、176.4kHz

192kHz. DSD support up to DSD64 (DoP).

OPTICAL: PCM support up to 16-24Bit/44.1kHz、48kHz、88.2kHz、96kHz、176.4kHz、

192kHz. DSD support up to DSD64 (DoP).

USB: PCM support up to 16-32Bit/44.1kHz 、 48kHz 、 88.2kHz 、 96kHz 、 176.4kHz 、 192kHz、352.8kHz、384kHz. DSD support up to DSD64(DoP)/DSD128 (DoP) DSD64/DSD128/DSD256 (ASIO Native)

Analog Input:

XLR: Input Impedance: 47k Ω.

Max Input Level: 10Vrms.

Input/Output Gain: 0dB

RCA: Input Impedance: 47k Ω.

Max Input Level: 5Vrms.

Input/Output Gain: 0dB

Analog Output:

XLR: SNR: >-122dB 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.

THD+N: <0.0004% at 1kHz A-Weighting.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz(+0dB/-0.09dB).

Channel Crosstalk: >-124dB@1kHz.

XLR output: 0-4Vrms Adjustable at 0dBFS.

RCA: SNR: >-119dB 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.

THD+N: <0.0007% at 1kHz A-Weighting.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.03dB).

Channel Crosstalk: >-122dB@1kHz.

RCA output: 0-2Vrms Adjustable at 0dBFS.

Headphone Output:

XLR_4PIN: SNR: >-120db 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.

THD+N: <0.00115% at 1kHz A-Weighting at 300ohms 100mW.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.09dB).

Output Impedance: 0.6ohms.

2000mW at 32ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

1200mW at 300ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

650mW at 600ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

6.35mm: SNR: >-108db 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.

THD+N: <0.0015% at 1kHz A-Weighting at 300ohms 100mW.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.09dB).

Output Impedance: 0.6ohms.

1200mW at 32ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

350mW at 300ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

175mW at 600ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 44
My S3 has arrived, it's made for full size headphones and not IEM's, but apart from that it's excellent :D more to come

It's very well built, feels premium and sounds very effortless.

Review

Firstly I would like to thank Keces and Arthur from their USA distributor for arranging this sample for me to review.

*disclaimer: This sample was provided for the purpose of writing a review, no incentive was given to write a favourable review. All opinions expressed are my own subjective findings.

Gear Used: HP Laptop > Curious USB Cable > Keces S3 > German Maestro GMP400 / Ether Flow / Symphones V8 build

HP Laptop > JDS Labs OL DAC > S3 > German Maestro GMP400 / Ether Flow / Symphones V8 build

DSC_9130.jpg

Tech Specs:
http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/S-3
1. High Quality Toroidal Power Transformer.
2. High-performance DAC-ESS ES9026PRO.
3. USB DAC: PCM 32 bit/384kHz and DSD DSD64(DoP)/DSD128 (DoP) DSD64/DSD128/DSD256 (ASIO Native).
4. COAXIAL/OPTICAL DAC: PCM 24 bit/192kHz and DSD DSD64(DoP).
5. Placed Balanced/Unbalanced Headphone output: Max Output Power 2000mW + 2000mW@32ohms.
6. Placed RCA/XLR Input/Output interface: Could be a Preamplifier.
7. Volume Control System: 128 step attenuator. Accurate control volume to achieve left/right channel balanced.
8. Isolation circuit: Completely separates the grounding of the digital and analog sections.
9. Volume/Source/Sampling display using OLED has excellent visibility.
10. The 4mm thickness of the aluminum chassis to effective to blocks EMI/RFI interference.
11. The full-metal body realizes both vibration control and elegant style in an A4-size body that enables placement on a desktop to be a PC HIFI system or to be a small stereo system.

Headphone Output:
- XLR_4PIN: SNR: >-120db 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.
- THD+N: <0.00115% at 1kHz A-Weighting at 300ohms 100mW.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.09dB).
- Output Impedance: 0.6ohms.
- 2000mW at 32ohms at THD+N=0.1%.
- 1200mW at 300ohms at THD+N=0.1%.
- 650mW at 600ohms at THD+N=0.1%.
- 6.35mm: SNR: >-108db 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting.
- THD+N: <0.0015% at 1kHz A-Weighting at 300ohms 100mW.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.09dB).
- Output Impedance: 0.6ohms.
- 1200mW at 32ohms at THD+N=0.1%.
- 350mW at 300ohms at THD+N=0.1%.
- 175mW at 600ohms at THD+N=0.1%.

MSRP: $1299.95

Packaging, Build quality and Accessories:
The S3 came in a large brown box, with Keces embossed in gold on the outside; this was the shipping and main box. Once you open the box you will find the S3 held tightly in carboard inserts also wrapped in foam to keep it safe. In a separate small box you will find the power cable and remote. The box is nothing fancy, but it is sturdy and protects the unit perfectly during shipping.

Accessory wise all you get is the power cable, USB cable and a remote; to be honest nothing else is really needed for this device.

Build quality is superb, the full aluminium chassis is thick and hefty keeping the unit cool in use too, the inputs and outputs all use high quality sockets. The volume control feels very nice and the switches on the front are all very secure. The remote is also aluminium and feels very well made. No issues with the build quality, it feels like a premium product.

DSC_9129.jpg

Features:
Firstly you have a 128 stepped volume control, you can hear the click of the relays inside on every step, and it is easy to fine tune the volume. I really like the stepped volume control, a feature of a lot of high end products.

This amp is designed for full-size headphones, and is not a good match for IEM’s, this does not bother me as most IEM’s do not require this kind of amplification.

The S3 can be used as a pre-amp for power amplifiers (like the Keces S125), or as a pure DAC if you set the volume to max when in pre-amp mode. There are balanced and single ended analogue outputs and inputs, along with USB, Optical and Coaxial digital inputs. This makes the S3 a very versatile device that will fit into any system.

The front screen shows you the input, sample rate, volume and gain setting, a quick press on the volume knob changes input and there are two switches on the front. One for high/low gain and another for headphone/pre-amp mode.

DSC_9139.jpg

Sound:
I have been using the S3 as my main DAC/Amp for a couple of weeks now and will try and sum it up as best I can. First off the DAC is an ESS Sabre DAC, which some people associate with slightly harsh highs; I can assure you this is a well implemented ESS DAC Chip though. There is no Sabre glare with the S3, but it is not lacking in extension or presence in any part of the frequency range.

I have been using my German Maestro GMP400 out of the single ended output, and the Ether Flow out of the balanced output. The GMP400 really scale up with good amplification, the S3 brings out so much detail in recordings but also the GMP400 likes the power and never sound thin or overly bright with the S3 (which they can with lower powered amps). With both headphones I never needed high gain, on the GMP400 I was at about 50-60 volume, and with the Ether Flow around 10-20. The balanced output is quite powerful and won’t have issues driving 99% of headphones out there.

The S3 has an effortless sound to it, never sounding strained or lacking in dynamics, it can deliver thunderous bass with ease and without sounding muddy. Transient response is excellent (headphone dependent too). It has no issues driving the Ether Flow to ear damaging levels, and never falters with them. The S3 delivers a full bodied and tonally balanced sound, that is easy to listen to but at the same time there is so much detail. Micro detail is all there, soundstage is not artificially boosted however it is very well layered and separated.

IMG_20171114_175255.jpg

Even when driving low impedance loads like my Symphones V8 build, there is a sense of ease to the sound, it flows without restraint or added flavour. The sound is very linear but not boring and dry, never lacking in impact. This is where my Objective 2 amp falls behind. It sounds a bit too dry sometimes, lacking in dynamics that only higher end amps provide.

Using the S3 as a DAC only, you get a very detailed and linear sound that has excellent resolution, micro detail and layering. The quality of the DAC output really is impressive, very open and airy but again without harshness.

Using the S3 as an amp only again reveals what the amp section can do on its own, feed it a good signal and it sings with its effortless sound. I was worried the sound would be a little enthusiastic up top due to the LM49720 op-amps I saw in the picture, but this amp shows that implementation really is key to any component. There is no harshness but there is excellent clarity and layering. Notes have a very natural tone to them with excellent decay that just trails off into a black background.

DSC_9142.jpg

Conclusion: The S3 is a do it all device like the Oppo HA-1, but without Bluetooth and a fancy screen. The sound really is quite astonishing when coming from something that is lower end or more coloured. It has the capability to be neutral but not boring. In my personal opinion I find the Questyle CMA400i to be more reference sounding than the S3, but then on the other hand the S3 isn’t as smooth as the Sennheiser HDV820 which is a little too laid back.

The S3 is engaging, effortless, dynamic and powerful. Yes there are amps that can output more pure wattage at this price, but few offer the flexibility of the S3, let alone have as good a DAC section.

The S3 is an easy recommendation if you are looking for an all in one desktop solution. It really does nothing wrong, it sounds superb whatever you use it for. The Keces S3 keeps me wanting to listen to more music, and at the end of the day that’s what it is all about.

Sound Perfection Rating: 9.5/10 (I really struggle to find any faults with this unit, I’ll take 0.5 away for not being suitable for IEM’s)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 44
This thing is mighty powerful, driving the Ether Flow from the balanced output, I'm only volume 10/128 on low gain...

It sounds superb too

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 44
I've just been writing up my review, and this Amp/DAC keeps on impressing me. The sound is so effortless, there is no hint of Sabre glare from the DAC chip and no part of the frequency is boosted. The sound is linear but very punchy and dynamic, not sounding dry and flat, my German Maestro GMP400 can really scale up with a good amp like this and the Ether Flow have excellent impact and sound powerful out of the S3.

As an amp, the sound flows and keeps me wanting to listen to more music. As a DAC it is very detailed, open and airy, but never thin sounding.

Keces also have a nice little power amp to pair with the S3, the S125, should be interesting as a nice little living room setup.

I find the Questyle CMA400 to sound a bit more reference like, being a little more upfront with its detailed presentation, and a bit drier.
The Sennheiser HDV820 is a little more laid back and smooth.
The S3 is in the middle of the two, being very detailed but at the same time a pleasure to listen to.

Again a lot of this is about synergy, but the S3 will pair very well with the majority of headphones out there, and it's a very versatile amp/dac for the price.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 44
Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 44
How does this compare to CMA600i?

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 44
How does this compare to CMA600i?

Only heard the CMA400i unfortunately, but the S3 is less dry and a bit more dynamic. But still not overly coloured to be beyond what I would call neutral.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 44
Looking good, thanks for the write-up. This thing seems like a compelling option in its price class. I haven't heard it, but my experience with Keces is very positive over the years, and their new P8 power supply is excellent in my reference system.

10% discount starting tonight and going until the 30th. That makes the S3 $1170, a discount of $130.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 44
Running my GMP 400 off the S3 in balanced mode is incredible, these £140 headphones scale up incredibly and are really underrated. They are easily on par with the Beyerdynamic DT880 and Sennheiser HD600, if not a little better.

The Keces on the other hand is a really impressive unit, it even has enough juice to run the Hifiman HE-6 with authority, low gain at 75 volume or high gain at 55 volume roughly.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 44
Running my GMP 400 off the S3 in balanced mode is incredible, these £140 headphones scale up incredibly and are really underrated. They are easily on par with the Beyerdynamic DT880 and Sennheiser HD600, if not a little better.

The Keces on the other hand is a really impressive unit, it even has enough juice to run the Hifiman HE-6 with authority, low gain at 75 volume or high gain at 55 volume roughly.

That is plenty of power. Have you tried the balanced out with different amp?

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 44
That is plenty of power. Have you tried the balanced out with different amp?

Only with the matching S125 power amp, I don't have any other balanced amps I can try it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back